User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Quirky things you do when nobody's watching...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Quirky things you do when nobody's watching...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-14, 19:03

OK, so I was leaving work today around 5:30. Thanks to the concrete jungle's schedule, I didn't pass a soul on my way out. Of course, this is an Apple forum! So as a Diligent Drinker of the Kool-Aid, I had my iPod cranked up, listening to music on my way out. What's quirky about that, you ask? Nothing... here comes the quirk:

I really like music. When the tune du jour is instrumental or something other than, say, classic rock, and I'm pretty sure nobody's watching, I'll occasionally conduct ("beat") patterns in the air with my hands just for kicks. For people who didn't do band or orchestra: these are the motions a conductor makes while leading an ensemble. Yes, I am a band geek. It's one of those things that will never leave my system. I think it's a fun thing to do while I listen to music, but I'm quite aware that it's very quirky, so I avoid doing it if I know other people can see me. :smokey:

So with that notion in mind, I came back home and decided I'd start this thread!

Let's hear it: what sorts of quirky things do you do for the heck of it when nobody's watching? (Please try to keep it clean! )

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2005-11-14, 19:11

Well, I crank my iPod up to VERY LOUDNESS and occasionally do really bad dancing-like steps all over the house...

Lol.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-14, 19:25

Oh yeah, I *love* to dance, so I definitely do so around the house.

Sometimes I also *dance* in my car seat while I'm driving down the street - arms up high, movin', clappin', and rockin' out.

Get smiles from other drivers, so I don't 'dance' in the car very often.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-11-14, 19:30

I have an obsession with my hands, and I'm obsessed with keeping them warm... I have a nervous habit of cupping my hands, breathing into them, and rubbing them together.

I also sing along with the iPod when nobody's around... I mean, who doesn't?

You ask me for a hamburger.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-11-14, 19:51

Pick scabs.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-14, 20:01

masturbate what was this thread about again
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-14, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
masturbate what was this thread about again
Saw that one coming. NOTE SPELLING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed
(Please try to keep it clean! )
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-11-14, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Pick scabs.
Ooh, me too.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-11-14, 20:14

Pick my nose.

Oh, you didn't want to know. Well, I also love to twist some of my hair around, causing it to grow weirdly.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-11-14, 20:24

I did that air-drum thing in High School when I was alone. (I worked in a Mac lab that was always empty). I was listening to a CD with some cool drums and a girl walked around the corner and caught me air-drumming. For the next 3 months, she would air-drum every time she saw me.

Oh, yea. And lately I have been making clicking sounds by catching air under my upper lip. Gross, annoying, but horribly addictive.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-11-14, 21:39

Pick nose.

Pluck chest hairs -- they grow in randomly.

Pluck nose hairs... I don't want the jungle my father has.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-11-14, 21:47

I have a friend who conducts... when people are around... when there's no music playing... Seriously.

Anyway, I dance. I'm a terrible dancer, but it just makes me feel good. I probably look completely retarded. I also talk to my cat a lot when there's nobody home but me and Oscar (my cat). I have to talk to somebody, dont' I?

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
eventhorizon

2005-11-14, 22:17

Sing in the car...poorly and with gusto.
Batman

2005-11-14, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed
OK, so I was leaving work today around 5:30. Thanks to the concrete jungle's schedule, I didn't pass a soul on my way out. Of course, this is an Apple forum! So as a Diligent Drinker of the Kool-Aid, I had my iPod cranked up, listening to music on my way out. What's quirky about that, you ask? Nothing... here comes the quirk:

I really like music. When the tune du jour is instrumental or something other than, say, classic rock, and I'm pretty sure nobody's watching, I'll occasionally conduct ("beat") patterns in the air with my hands just for kicks. For people who didn't do band or orchestra: these are the motions a conductor makes while leading an ensemble. Yes, I am a band geek. It's one of those things that will never leave my system. I think it's a fun thing to do while I listen to music, but I'm quite aware that it's very quirky, so I avoid doing it if I know other people can see me. :smokey:

So with that notion in mind, I came back home and decided I'd start this thread!

Let's hear it: what sorts of quirky things do you do for the heck of it when nobody's watching? (Please try to keep it clean! )
Band Geeks Forever!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-11-14, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
I did that air-drum thing in High School when I was alone. (I worked in a Mac lab that was always empty). I was listening to a CD with some cool drums and a girl walked around the corner and caught me air-drumming. For the next 3 months, she would air-drum every time she saw me.
Did you say Air Drumming?
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2005-11-14, 23:00

I come here...
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-11-14, 23:35

Pick belly button lint (I just did!). Reminds me of that Saturday Night Live skit where that Ghost guy, Patrick Swayze, watched his girl do the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Did you say Air Drumming?
Eh...
http://www.vicfirth.com/features/DCI...cadets3HQ.html

(there have been other online depositories of similar vids, but one important site has been down for nearly a year)
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-11-14, 23:47

BarracksSi ... that's well and good - but it's not air drumming.
Bean

2005-11-14, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban_jay
I come here...
Good One!
I have athletes foot, and I scratch my damn feet. It's disgusting, but it feels soooooooo good when i scratch.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-11-15, 00:12

Quote:
BarracksSi ... that's well and good - but it's not air drumming.
Yeah, but imagine what that looks like when air drumming.

Been caught doing it, too. Also been caught doing some drumspeak (actually say out loud what those guys were playing).
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-11-15, 00:44

Ah, now I know what you mean ... in the spirit of this thread then I must admit to an unhealthy penchant for drum-speaking the opening shuffle of "Rosanna" - with *and* without the music.

tikata pssssh, bu kak, dung dung kak, tikata, tikita-tikita-Kak-a-tikita, tikita-tikita-Kak, etc.

(not sure of the spelling though - gotta love the ghost notes ... RIP Jeff )
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-15, 00:46

Quote:
Ah, now I know what you mean ... in the spirit of this thread then I must admit to an unhealthy penchant for drum-speaking the opening shuffle of "Rosanna" - with *and* without the music.

tikata pssssh, bu kak, dung dung kak, tikata, tikita-tikita-Kak-a-tikita, tikita-tikita-Kak, etc.

(not sure of the spelling though - gotta love the ghost notes ... RIP Jeff )
Percussionists always were rather curious beings...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-11-15, 01:21

I'm a keyboardist ... frustrated drummer though - nobody could groove like Jeff.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-15, 01:42

I tend to pull at my hair. It's pretty long so when it falls out (as hair simply does, constantly), it doesn't immediately fall to the ground. Instead it stays on my head. Even showering only does so much. I'm not losing my hair, though, it's still really thick. It just seems a lot more dramatic than it actually is.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-11-15, 01:46

I dance to upbeat music...

And since I got my first iPod almost half a year ago now... that happens even more often then I'd like to admit.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-11-15, 05:30

Pick my nose and wipe whatever comes out onto stuff—preferably the inside of a bin, but sometimes just the floor or the underside of a seat. (Ew, I've gotta stop doing that... I'm so fastidiously clean in every other way...)

Walk around the flat butt-naked. (Though, tbh, I do this when people at the pub out back can probably see me through the window on the stairs, when the light is on in the flat and its dark outside. Plus, I do it when my housemates are in, but asleep—only been caught-out once...) I like going for poos naked, too.

Sing along to songs, or repeat dialogue from the TV with my lips clamped shut. I have no idea why I do a relatively normal thing in such an abnormal way. If anyone ever sees me, it must look like I'm chewing maniacally, or pouting to myself, or something...

Stare. At anything. Not just pretty little lovelies, but sometimes just inanimate objects about someone elses person—coat buttons, bags, shoes especially—or just out into the distance.

I bet there's other stuff. I'm quite weird, it seems...

bouncy bouncy
AWR
Veteran Member

2005-11-15, 05:34

Holy shit.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-11-15, 06:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
Pick my nose and wipe whatever comes out onto stuff—preferably the inside of a bin, but sometimes just the floor or the underside of a seat. (Ew, I've gotta stop doing that... I'm so fastidiously clean in every other way...)

Walk around the flat butt-naked. (Though, tbh, I do this when people at the pub out back can probably see me through the window on the stairs, when the light is on in the flat and its dark outside. Plus, I do it when my housemates are in, but asleep—only been caught-out once...) I like going for poos naked, too.

Sing along to songs, or repeat dialogue from the TV with my lips clamped shut. I have no idea why I do a relatively normal thing in such an abnormal way. If anyone ever sees me, it must look like I'm chewing maniacally, or pouting to myself, or something...

Stare. At anything. Not just pretty little lovelies, but sometimes just inanimate objects about someone elses person—coat buttons, bags, shoes especially—or just out into the distance.

I bet there's other stuff. I'm quite weird, it seems...
Fucking wicked! Sorry I just love that post!

You're a freak and we love you for it!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-11-15, 06:14

Actually I like looking at naked calves.

Windswept understands, and so does KickaHaHaHaHa Haaaaa Haaaa Haaaarrr!
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-15, 07:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Actually I like looking at naked calves.

Windswept understands, and so does KickaHaHaHaHa Haaaaa Haaaa Haaaarrr!

I'm not even really in on the joke, but this made me laugh...