AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Photo Challenge Thread (PCT): Child's Play

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Photo Challenge Thread (PCT): Child's Play
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-06-04, 23:03

With summer fast approaching and those of us in the Northern Hemisphere spending more time outside I figure this is one topic everyone can feel comfortable with joining in. Child's play is anything that you consider to be "Child's Play". In my mind I think of kids playing in a park, the aftermath of the play area when the kids all run off to the next play set to antagonize, or even the grownups who enjoy being young and refusing to "act their age".

I'll try to come up with some "Sample" shots of this, but I do hope you all get the idea behind this. Maybe it's people in costume, or your kids' play area when they finish playing. Maybe it's running in the yard under a sprinkler or blowing on a dandelion and chasing the seeds.

As with the other challenges, minimal editing (if any) and it must be taken during challenge by you.

I'd like to close the challenge on the 30th of June (2359 EDT) to try to get back to the month to month schedule. I'll be open to slight extension if requested.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2012-06-07, 13:13

Come on guys, that's your chance !
I don't have kids, and I'm not that comfortable shooting other people's children after seeing this episode of the grid, so I'll probably end up with no entry ...

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-06-07, 15:47

I'm in the same boat, no kids and wont take photos of other peoples kids either. Good luck though!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-06-07, 16:00

If I understand Turtle's directions clearly, the actual photo itself does not have to show kids, if you so choose. So enter away!
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-06-07, 16:32

I have no qualms about shooting other people's kids, so I intend to do so – especially since GSpotter and PB PM are hesitant!

However, in English, something is said to be child's play if it's easy to accomplish. So children may not be strictly required for this challenge (though I have children in mind for my own shot).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-06-07, 17:36

You guys are correct that children/minors are not required or expected for this shot.
Quote:
In my mind I think of kids playing in a park, the aftermath of the play area when the kids all run off to the next play set to antagonize, or even the grownups who enjoy being young and refusing to "act their age".
Feel free to shoot anything that you think of when you think of child's play. It doesn't mean the image has to have anything to do with toys either. Brad and his wife dressed up in costume would fit the bill nicely as a matter of fact!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-06-16, 21:50

Not aiming for a win as much as to share a new interest (and to bump the thread).

About thirty years overdue, last month I finally played my first ever game of D&D with some awesome coworkers. I went in totally cold having only the most basic idea of how to play, but I left feeling great and confident. The DM loaned me his For Dummies book so I could get a better feel for the rules, and I've been absorbing it over the past week.

Today I went and bought my own dice! I only got exactly what my current character needs, but I'm sure I'll add to the collection later. The brown/black dice are my main ones; my PC's basic melee attacks deal 2d6+4 of damage. The two extra red/green ones are for when my PC goes into a blood rage to deal 4d6+4 damage, and the d8 is for his per-encounter action that deals a whopping 4d6+1d8+4. I'm considering using the small Nerf Dart bag to hold them for now, but Wifey may be knitting/sewing me a more appropriate satchel later.

Game Two is next week and I aim to be ready for it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-06-16, 23:08

Off-topic (click to toggle):
You know it's a fantasy setting, because Religion is linked to Intelligence. Zing!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-06-17, 18:23

Cool pick Brad. I just took a pick, but don't know if I will use it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-07-05, 22:36

Looks like Brad wins by default... only one entry.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-07-05, 22:39

I still hope to make an entry.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-07-06, 07:15

Yeah, I might as well do as others have and give you until the end of the weekend.

Sadly I had even forgotten about this one. Shame really, so many options and only one who played so far.

So in hopes of at least one more entry the extended deadline is Sunday at 2359 Eastern. Really, it'll be when I wake up on Monday and take a look.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-07-08, 17:25

It rained every weekend here for the last two months.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-07-08, 17:26

I'm sure Brad's shot wasn't taken outside.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-07-08, 20:59

Well it sure has not been raining here. And what better way to enjoy that than to play indoor sports outdoors. Chess on a hot day:

Not a high-percentage opening position on his part actually. I beat him.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-07-09, 18:13

Both entries are very good and fits great for the contest.

In order of appearance:
Brad's image is all about play and yet the shadows set the mood for the "darkness" so many claim for that game.

Chinney's image can be seen so literal and yet so many other things. I see the kid looking like he's trying to hold a bluff as though he knows something you don't. (I'm sure he was just trying not to look goofy in the camera though.)

I choose Brad's image as the winner.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-07-09, 18:26

Gah! How did this happen!

You would-be photographers should be ashamed of yourselves!

OK, new challenge thread going up in a few minutes…
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2012-07-09, 19:12

Congrats Brad. As for us would-be photographers, meh, it really just wasn't a topic that peaked my interest.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-07-09, 19:59

Well done Brad.
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-07-10, 02:15

Ahhhh, how did it happen that in the PCT on Child's Play I couldn't manage a shot, when my library is otherwise filled with 11 years of months of such shots?!

Oh, well. Busy. Brad, nice shot, I like it, an imaginative winner.

(I was just logging on to post this shot of boys at first week-long overnight summer camp (iPhone 4 shot); I can see the younger one actually needing his brother a bit instead of wishing him to stay the feck away.

Nice chess opener! With kids (as well as adults) sometimes it's fun to just bust it all open like a cage fight.