AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple worth more than Dell!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple worth more than Dell!!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-01-14, 01:37

Seven years ago, Michael Dell, chairman of Dell Computer, said he'd shut down Apple and give the money to the shareholders if he were running Apple.

Now, thanks to Steve Jobs, Apple has a higher market value than Dell Computer.

Maybe Michael Dell should take his own advice and give the money back to shareholders before Dell is run out of business by Apple.

Dude, You're Getting Your Money Back!!

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2006-01-14, 01:47

wow... good job Apple! Now to rub this into my coworkers face on Tuesday.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-01-14, 01:58

That's pretty neat.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-01-14, 02:37

That's kind of scary actually... considering Apple earns about 1/4 the revs of Dell, and 40% the net income.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/co?s=AAPL

Dell's low-cost strategy is hurting them long-term though.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-01-14, 10:57

So then what makes Apple worth more, if they're not making as much money?
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-01-14, 11:10

Steve, of course.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-14, 11:20

From what I understand, this is just some theoretical banter, that has no practical consequences. Just look at Netscape. Supposedly, Netscape was such a strong brand, everybody knew it. But ask the kids today, and you will get blank stares. And whoever bought the name Netscape and made it into an ISP is probably now kicking him/herself for all the money he/she burned.

A brand by itself is worth nothing. Another example is Coca Cola, which is supposedly the most valuable brand in the world. Yet they don't seem to be very successful in translating that supposed value into anything other than soft drinks, like their music store. And even the dozens of Coca Cola products only tell you about their relationship in the fine print.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-01-14, 12:03

AOL owns Netscape.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-01-14, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk
Seven years ago, Michael Dell, chairman of Dell Computer, said he'd shut down Apple and give the money to the shareholders if he were running Apple.

Now, thanks to Steve Jobs, Apple has a higher market value than Dell Computer.

Maybe Michael Dell should take his own advice and give the money back to shareholders before Dell is run out of business by Apple.

Dude, You're Getting Your Money Back!!

Nice math skills, it was nearly 10 years ago, and for the record he was probably right at the time.
Jobs return kept it from happening. With Gil Amelio as CEO they lost over a billion dollars in 97.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-01-14, 12:10

which is kind of funny- if you have the latest version of AIM, they install "AOL Explorer" and as far as I can see, there's virtually no mention of Netscape on AOL's end. It's almost if they bought it so they could put it in a closet.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-01-14, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
Nice math skills, it was nearly 10 years ago, and for the record he was probably right at the time.
Jobs return kept it from happening. With Gil Amelio as CEO they lost over a billion dollars in 97.
Haha, Yeah, I didnt even notice that. It was late last night.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-01-14, 13:22

Nice catch Keiran...

And for the record, up yours Dell. You commodity box peddling pud-wacker. You are the Buick Skylark of personal computing.

Congratulations, asshole.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-01-14, 13:24

Nice post.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-01-14, 13:28

Perhaps you think I am mistaken, and Dell is the Buick LeSabre of Personal Computing?
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-01-14, 13:38

Dell is the GM of personal computing. Uninspired, inefficient, crap for the masses.

*runs away from Quagmire*
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-05-02, 09:46

Bump.

Apple has passed Dell once again. Hopefully this will be for the last time.

Apple Passes Dell....Again
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-05-02, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
which is kind of funny- if you have the latest version of AIM, they install "AOL Explorer" and as far as I can see, there's virtually no mention of Netscape on AOL's end. It's almost if they bought it so they could put it in a closet.
AOL bought it to strong arm MS. It worked and last year AOL extracted $750M from MS' coffers.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-02, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
AOL bought it to strong arm MS. It worked and last year AOL extracted $750M from MS' coffers.
I don't doubt it. I was more curious as to why AOL didn't bother to use Netscape's brand, particularly considering the fact that at that time, Netscape was most popular browser, correct?

oh, and more power to Apple!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-05-02, 18:46

Wow, I haven't been following Apple's finances for a while, but this is a nice surprise!

(On a side note, I just saw the new Google Finance. Much better than forwarding me on to Yahoo when I google a ticker)
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-05-02, 19:12

Market cap really shouldn't be compared across firms because it's only the total value of all the company's traded stock. In essence it's not how much a company is worth in terms of assets (what dell probably really meant,) but how much a company is worth to investors.

Last edited by Eugene : 2006-05-02 at 19:20.
Mac Donald

2006-05-02, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
I don't doubt it. I was more curious as to why AOL didn't bother to use Netscape's brand, particularly considering the fact that at that time, Netscape was most popular browser, correct?

oh, and more power to Apple!
AOL was under contract to use IE at the time they bought Netscape.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-07-30, 09:35

How bout a big old bump for this thread?

As of Friday, Apple's market value was more than 2 times that of Dell's.

$127.81 Billion vs. $64.65 Billion

I always like seeing these kinds of articles. Makes me happy to be an Apple shareholder.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-07-30, 09:50

But you're not seeing Michael Dell's face, are you? I think that's worth more than any articles.

I bet he feel like he's been hit in his nuts with sledgehammer.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-07-30, 09:57

I wish some reporter would ask him this question again with the new information. I think his response would be pretty interesting.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-07-30, 10:23

The general attitude people have of Dells, even gearheads, has changed dramatically. The contractor who set up my gf's internet connection last weekend was talking trash about her Dell the whole time. (He did however point to my PowerBook and asked why I didn't have her one, to which she joined in and blamed me for her poor choice in computing.)
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-07-30, 10:25

In seriousness, I do find it a bit odd that people are willing to smear on Dell, even though I'm given to understand that their customer service, no-nonsense warranty, and no-questions-asked returns/exchange are among Dell's strongest selling points.

Is that worth little now?
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2007-07-30, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
In seriousness, I do find it a bit odd that people are willing to smear on Dell, even though I'm given to understand that their customer service, no-nonsense warranty, and no-questions-asked returns/exchange are among Dell's strongest selling points.

Is that worth little now?
I've found that Dell's customer service has taken a real slide in the last 5 years. At one time, it was (in my mind) THE reason to get a Dell. It was outstanding. But they've taken a lot of cost-saving measures which have cut that advantage right down.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-07-30, 10:41

Oh, didn't realize that then. Last time I ordered a dell printer for the office, it was pretty dandy; they were very friendly so I assumed it was same old.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-07-30, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe View Post
I've found that Dell's customer service has taken a real slide in the last 5 years. At one time, it was (in my mind) THE reason to get a Dell. It was outstanding. But they've taken a lot of cost-saving measures which have cut that advantage right down.
That's true of their service and parts. They captured the market by using good quality components and underselling, but then they had to show growth from something other than capturing marketshare, which translated into poorer service and parts. Dell: good model for capturing the market, bad model for maintaining that market.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-07-30, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe View Post
It's not in your mind. I have seen the same thing myself. I used to recommend them to my non-techie friends that needed support with their computers and I didn't want to be it all the time. Now, I recommend a Mac with Parallels.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.