Buying a TV in 2009

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Buying a TV in 2009
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-12-27, 23:33

So, you guys are good with TVs, right?

I need to replace my 22" panasonic CRT tv. Here's what I need:

32". Any bigger would be stupid in my apartment and I think 26" widescreen will seem smaller than the 22".
Widescreen, of course. Can you even buy 4:3 any more?
720p. The only HD source I have is my xbox 360. I might get the Shaw HD PVR at some point, but it's not a high priority right now. 1080p just seems like money for something I won't use.
I really want picture-in-picture, but have a bad feeling it's a pretty high end feature?
I need the sound to be ok, at least. One of the reasons I'm ditching the panny is because anything with bass makes the case vibrate.

I like "proper" brands: so I've been looking at Samsungs, Sony and so on.

I'm in Canada.

Want to spend: $500-$700 plus taxes and enviro fee
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-12-28, 00:58

I recently got a 32" Samsung LN32A450 off Amazon for US$599 (looks like it's now US$574.95) and I love it. It has lots of inputs (VGA, composite, component, HMDI, cable/antenna), a near-180° viewing angle, and excellent picture quality.

My only potential complaint would be that the speakers are a little tinny, but they're actually on par with (maybe better than) other TVs of this class and I already had a better set of external speakers I'm using with it. They're actually just stereo computer speakers that came with an old Gateway 2000 computer my wife had years ago, but they're surprisingly good and have an excellent range!

This TV is 720p. I also didn't feel I needed 1080 since I have near-zero high definition content and the TV is only about 6 feet from the couch in our small apartment. The only HD content I get are a very small number of TV channels like PBS HD, NBC, CBS, etc. I don't think this TV does picture-in-picture, but I've never valued that feature even after trying it on my father's big rear-projection TV.

A coworker of mine has been eyeing the 40" version of this TV for a couple months. He's done tons of specs/features/comparison research and decided that Samsung's A450 and A550 lines are the best TVs in their class. When he heard that I was buying the 32" A450, he said it was a very smart choice for my viewing conditions.

One thing to get if you don't already have one: an upscaling DVD player and the proper high-res component (good) or HDMI (better) cables. The TV itself can do some basic image scaling, but it's crap compared to the scaling software/hardware that most DVD players use. Getting a proper upscaling DVD player made a world of difference for us and the one we got (also Samsung) was only $69.

A final piece of advice: don't get component or HDMI cables from any mega-chain retailers. They'll always overcharge you by some ridiculous margin. I got a 6' HDMI cable from an Amazon retailer and paid $4.38 ($1.40 + $2.98 S&H). If I'd gotten it from somewhere like Best Buy, I'd have paid at least $60.00.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-12-28, 01:06

I'll second Brad on the Samsung.

I picked one up about two months ago and I've loved it. It's a great TV and you won't regret picking it up.

Also, definitely order cables from somewhere, as Brad suggested. The stores rip you off. I paid $7 for an HDMI cable from Monoprice.com

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-12-28, 01:25

$500-700 is a pretty big band. My recommendation? 32" Bravia M-Class if you're looking to spend ~$700, and an L-Class if you're looking to spend ~$500.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-12-28, 03:05

I'd make sure you look at a properly calibrated one first, if it's possible (and if you're as picky about accurate colour as we are ). We noticed a big difference looking at the same TVs in Future Shop, where they can't be bothered, and Kromer Radio, a pro audio/video store, where they calibrate them beautifully. There was a world of difference, and it gave us a much better idea of which one we'd like to buy (though we're putting off the purchase for a while).

At the very least, I'd go to a store and look at them for myself, even if you can't see them set up properly.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-12-28, 11:03

Maybe I should look at my color levels and see if I can properly set up my tv. I don't believe I've ever done that. If it makes my tv look better, that would be amazing because it already looks amazing.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-12-28, 16:15

I've never had a TV that could be adjusted like that, but we sure saw the difference between stores, so I'm assuming that's what caused it. YMMV...

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-12-28, 16:40

What Brad said. Especially about the upscaling DVD players and HDMI cables from retailers. I had one retailer (Elgiganten) try and sell me a 1.5 meter cable for a f***ing DKK 279, that's USD 52.5 for you guys.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-12-28, 20:51

I got the exact same tv as Brad. I paid 540$(CAN). There was a deal on it + it was an opened box. It's great... For the price I couldn't ask for more. I don't think the speaker are that weak. I've seen worst. Really !

The games of my PS3 and Blu Ray's looks gorgeous ! Recommended !!

For cables, you can always look at monoprice

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-12-28, 21:08

My vote goes to the Samsung. Helped a neighbour choose recently, she bought the Samsung very impressed.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-12-28, 21:16

I'll throw in a vote for monoprice too. I ordered a set of component cables and had them 3 or 4 days later.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-12-29, 01:02

Cool - that Samsung 450 is the one I've been eyeing - Best Buy have them for 499+tax+enviro right now, so I think we have a winner. I can live without PiP, I guess. It's only for the "million ads per half-hour" channels anyway...
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-12-29, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Cool - that Samsung 450 is the one I've been eyeing - Best Buy have them for 499+tax+enviro right now, so I think we have a winner. I can live without PiP, I guess. It's only for the "million ads per half-hour" channels anyway...
FYI, I bought a Samsung PN42A450 (plasma), in November and have been pretty happy with it. And while it doesn't have PiP listed in it's specs, I can access that feature through a button on my HD cable provider's remote. Since you're also in Canada, you may want to try Rogers.
veryamusing

2008-12-29, 09:12

I bought a Samsung LN40A550 from Amazon.com for ~$1000 w/free shipping and 24 months no-interest financing. It's an incredible television, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anything from their entire lineup.

My dad has a friend that does professional video stuff and is a freak about contrast ratios, etc. He recently bought a very expensive Sony; but when he saw my Samsung for the first time he too said it was a great choice.

Also, the monoprice.com suggestion was excellent. Low prices and high quality stuff. I had to get in-wall rated wires, and they seem higher quality than the overpriced stuff Best Buy and Circuit City would try to sell you.
artesc

2009-01-02, 12:53

Figured this didn't merit it's own thread and so I'll tack it on here.

So my parent's are looking to buy their first "modern" tv (i.e. lcd, flat screen). Up until now, they have stuck to tubes. I've never had a flatscreen tv either (I just use my laptop at college) so I don't know much about the best brands and all that. They've asked me to help them decide between two tv's at Costco; both are on the lower-end scale but they don't really care about brands and stuff, they just want something that will last and work well. They're looking at the two cheapest tv's at Costco; a Vizio and a Westinghouse, both 32 inches, 720p for $400. Both have comparable inputs and on the whole seem pretty much the same. Is either brand significantly better than the other? Thanks for any help.

artesc all the way!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2009-01-02, 13:04

I recently bought a 42" plasma set. I wouldn't go any smaller than 32" even in a small space. There are some very slim 37" and 40" models out there too. Don't discard them right away, measure the overall size of the unit and it's depth, a couple of cm can make a big difference in your space, there are some 40" models that are hardly bigger (overall) than a budget 32". It's going to be a year for deals, so don't be afraid to shop around.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-01-02, 13:58

If they can wait it out for a deal to come along, they should be able to get a 37" or even a 42" for a good price. Maybe not $400, but $500-$600 depending on the size.

32" is good for a bedroom or a smallish living room if the TV is fairly close to the seating area. I have a Westinghouse 32" and it's pretty nice, but sometimes I wish I had saved a bit more and gotten a 42" instead.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2009-01-02, 14:22

Whatever you get, I would endorse using an additional set of external speakers. Even a middling pair will probably give you better sound than most integrated TV speakers. I love good sound. My fairly cheap, small pair of AV-30 M-Audio speakers sound just great with our TV (still CRT, in my case).

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-01-03, 11:36

I haven't yet met anyone who had a Visio so (artsec) I would be leary of cheap-o brands unless you know someone who can vouch for a particular model. I can say that so far the Sony Bravia and Panasonic Viera (both come in a variety of sizes and price points) have performed very well for us since we got them late last summer. We switched from Sharp when the first one we bought failed, was replaced, then the replacement's audio board fried. Good picture but the reliability factor with the Aquos was very low.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-01-03, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
I haven't yet met anyone who had a Visio so (artsec) I would be leary of cheap-o brands unless you know someone who can vouch for a particular model. I can say that so far the Sony Bravia and Panasonic Viera (both come in a variety of sizes and price points) have performed very well for us since we got them late last summer. We switched from Sharp when the first one we bought failed, was replaced, then the replacement's audio board fried. Good picture but the reliability factor with the Aquos was very low.
One of my buddies bought a Vizio about a year about and it's actually a very nice tv for the price. If I got around to buying a second HDTV, it would consider one.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
artesc

2009-01-03, 16:13

Well, from what I've read, Vizios seem to be pretty good buys for the money.

I think they're probably going to stay with the 32 inch model, I mean, they're basically upgrading an old 25 inch (diagonal) crt that was their main tv so 32 inches will seem like a godsend. Thanks for all the advice. I think they are probably going to go with the Vizio. They already have a set of speakers that should serve them well for the moment, perhaps they'll upgrade when money isn't as tight.

artesc all the way!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2009-01-04, 11:37

Sony is advertising some 32" models for $300 off in the local papers around Toronto. That puts it in the 400-500 range. Might be happier overall with a Sony?

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-01-04, 11:59

It's amazing that if you're buying a Sony, you need a full $300 discount to make it price-competitive with other brands.

Oh well, they are better TVs, so if you can find one for a similar price as a budget brand, definitely go for it.