Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

2009 NFL Playoffs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2009 NFL Playoffs
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-01-04, 17:39

Bottom line so far: Win a post-season award, your team will be out in the first round. Mike Smith, coach of the year, and Matt Ryan, R.O.Y., double whammy = Falcons eliminated. Chad Pennington, comeback player of the year, Dolphins out. Peyton Manning, player of the year, Colts adios. Don't know who the Defensive POY is yet.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-01-04, 18:55

D.I.Y. IR List / 'Shoot yourself in the foot' award: Plaxico Burress.... NYG ??
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-01-05, 00:59

The Vikings have Pro Bowler Adrian Peterson, who was one of the many contributors to their failure to overcome the Eagles today. He had one big 40-yard run and both of the Vikings' touchdowns, but for the most part he got stuffed at the line. T-Jack's inaccurate passing didn't help either, and the offensive line may well deserve some of the blame for both problems. They're supposed to create holes and protect the passer, and they didn't really do either. And the Vikings' special teams were pretty bad too.

In fact, the only guys who had a good day today were the Vikings' defense, who managed to hold the Eagles to just one touchdown until near the end of the game. If the offense were only able to step up, the Vikings may have been headed to the divisional playoffs.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-01-09, 17:38

Behind the magic curtain of teevee football tech...

How the Yellow Line Works

The linked 3 1/2 min video is pretty cool, page adds some details and other links.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-01-12, 11:34

How about them Eagles?

Should be a couple of good games next weekend.

I'm hoping for a Philly-Pittsburgh Super Bowl. Football is at it's best in Pennsylvania.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2009-01-12, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
How about them Eagles?

Should be a couple of good games next weekend.

I'm hoping for a Philly-Pittsburgh Super Bowl. Football is at it's best in Pennsylvania.
Worst game ever. The Giants looked terrible. I was really disappointed with the Giant's play calling.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2009-01-12, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by faramirtook View Post
Worst game ever. The Giants looked terrible. I was really disappointed with the Giant's play calling.
Agreed. I think they missed that shithead Plaxico more than they cared to admit.

This has been a bad year. First the Phils, now the Eagles.

It doesn't get much worse.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-01-12, 20:13

I caught a few minutes of the Titans game. Man did they fuck up. They were ramming the ball down Baltimore's gullet on two different drives and both times turned it over in the red zone I think. It was sad. I knew right then they were going to lose -had all the markings of a pissed away game- so I turned it off. Couldn't bear to watch the Titans lose another squeeker.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-01-12, 20:13

Philly-Pittsburgh Super Bowl would be fantastic BTW. I'd watch that with real interest. And.... *drum roll*...

I'd root for Philly, believe it or not, Kieran.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-01-12, 20:21

Umm....I thought I had a huge response typed up, but I guess something got f'ed up.

I'll re do it.

See further down.

Last edited by kieran : 2009-01-12 at 22:43.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-01-12, 21:52

Quote:
The only thing about the play calling that could be questioned would be their choice ot run Brandon Jacobs around the edge. He's huge, pound him in the middle.

The passi
Are you kidding? The list of questionable coaching decisions for the Giants is beyond the scope of this thread.
Edna Crabtree

2009-01-12, 22:26

I"ve enjoyed these games, because they are so unpredictable ( well, except for Jake Delhomme really kissing the goat)

Yep, Eli reverted back to his Christopher Cross mode (everything is sailing), once the wind started to swirl. The Iggles and their fans deserve/need a Super Bowl, for being so consistent over the years. There is a reason Kurt Warner was a Super Bowl MVP, but it won't be enough. I think the Eagles win next week and advance. Score prediction 27-17.

The Ravens-Steelers matchup is less clear. Probably even. On Sunday, the Chargers were a decent if poorly coached team. Baltimore's defense will come to play obviously, but so will Parker. He won't last 4 quarters. Joe Flacco is but a rookie, and Ben takes needless chances so that's a wash. Heinz field won't look so good by halftime, and the fans will be louder than bombs. This will be the better of the two games. Ravens 19, Steelers 16.

What the heck, right? I love the playoffs. And Championship weekend is better than the Super Bowl, IMO.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-01-12, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by faramirtook View Post
The Giant's did look terrible. They just didn't play well at all. The play calling wasn't that bad, but it could have been better. Jacobs should have been pounding into the line all day, but instead he was running sweeps.

Eli just showed that he's nothing more than an average quarterback who won a Super Bowl by heaving the ball downfield and having a receiver make the catch of his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colivigan View Post
Agreed. I think they missed that shithead Plaxico more than they cared to admit.

This has been a bad year. First the Phils, now the Eagles.

It doesn't get much worse.
That's true, the G-men definitely missed Plaxico. He's killed the Eagles over the years and not having to worry about him the past two times they've played has allowed the defense to just tee off on Eli.

and what are you talking about? This has been a great year.....if you're not from NY. Everyone loves seeing the NY teams fail, especially me.

Just wait, the Eagles are winning the SB and then the Flyers are going to win the Stanley Cup in June. It's gonna be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Philly-Pittsburgh Super Bowl would be fantastic BTW. I'd watch that with real interest. And.... *drum roll*...

I'd root for Philly, believe it or not, Kieran.
and why would that be? I thought you were a Pittsburgh fan? only for hosket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Are you kidding? The list of questionable coaching decisions for the Giants is beyond the scope of this thread.
I'll just leave that comment alone then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edna Crabtree View Post
I"ve enjoyed these games, because they are so unpredictable ( well, except for Jake Delhomme really kissing the goat)

Yep, Eli reverted back to his Christopher Cross mode (everything is sailing), once the wind started to swirl. The Iggles and their fans deserve/need a Super Bowl, for being so consistent over the years. There is a reason Kurt Warner was a Super Bowl MVP, but it won't be enough. I think the Eagles win next week and advance. Score prediction 27-17.

The Ravens-Steelers matchup is less clear. Probably even. On Sunday, the Chargers were a decent if poorly coached team. Baltimore's defense will come to play obviously, but so will Parker. He won't last 4 quarters. Joe Flacco is but a rookie, and Ben takes needless chances so that's a wash. Heinz field won't look so good by halftime, and the fans will be louder than bombs. This will be the better of the two games. Ravens 19, Steelers 16.

What the heck, right? I love the playoffs. And Championship weekend is better than the Super Bowl, IMO.

I like the Eagles over the Cards as well. I just think an experienced veteran team like the Eagles will take teh game, even though it is in Arizona. I also think Pittsburgh will win the AFC, setting up an all PA Super Bowl.

colivigan
Veteran Member

2009-01-12, 23:15

Quote:
That's true, the G-men definitely missed Plaxico. He's killed the Eagles over the years and not having to worry about him the past two times they've played has allowed the defense to just tee off on Eli.
Well, they didn't exactly tee off on him this time. Zero sacks, at least the O-line did their job in that regard. He just made a lot of bad throws.

I'll give the Eagles credit, they did what they had to do, and played good D. Giants should have won, but two missed FG's, slack defense at the end of the first half, and inept offense in the second half did them in.

Oh well, you can't win the Super Bowl every year. Next year, we get Osi back and 11 draft picks.

And I'm now officially a Kurt Warner fan again.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-01-13, 02:49

Philadelphia booted Minnesota out in the first round. I'd really like to see them lose.

And I don't know why, but the Steelers just sort of bother me too.

I'm hoping for a Baltimore-Arizona SB. Would be fun to see either one of those guys win.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-01-13, 10:50

Quote:
Just wait, the Eagles are winning the SB and then the Flyers are going to win the Stanley Cup in June. It's gonna be great.
*cough*REDWINGS*cough*

If they make it to the Finals, they're not losing to Philly or anyone else, unfortunately. The WC provides the best chance for Philly to win it by making sure Detroit doesn't get there. Otherwise your plan shall be foiled I'm afraid! Besides if you win the East and the Pens finish 8th (seems highly probable if the Pens refuse to fire Therrien for another couple weeks and then fires him eventually), you're going down in round 1, punk!

Quote:
and why would that be? I thought you were a Pittsburgh fan? only for hosket?
Yah I'm not a Steelers / Pirates fan or anything. Just always enjoyed watching the Pens since I took up watching hosket back in the 90s. They became my team because the owner here in Chi-town was such a spectacular douche that I couldn't watch Hawk games / didn't want to give the guy my money.

As for the Philly - Steelers thing:

a) McNabb is a Chicago boy.

b) While I think most of their fans are lousy scumbags (not you of course!), I have always had a soft spot for the Eagles for some reason. They're sort of like that underdog team. Since the Steelers already won one recently, I'd much rather see the Eagles win one for the first time in I don't know how long. 70s?

c) Troy Palomalu (sp?) and his Fabio Haircut bugs the crap out of me. I don't care what his heritage is. CUT IT, ya Samoan hippy!

...into the light of a dark black night.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-01-13, 11:05

Oh, I understand now. I could never be a fan of the Hawks either with that owner. He screwed his own team.

and just to put how big this would be for Philly fans into perspective, the Eagles have never won a Super Bowl. Their last championship came back in 1960, before there was a Super Bowl

So yeah, this would be a huge event if it actually happens.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-02-01, 14:46

So is anybody backing Arizona today... or given the Steelers brutal punishment of the Ravens, will the only post-game cards be of the Get Well Soon variety signed in Black and Gold?

Any bets on MVP?

adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2009-02-01, 15:00

I want the Cards to win, but I'm not overly confident they'll do so.

Should be a good night though. I think with the Cardinals showing they can come from behind the last few games, it should be an exciting affair.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-02-01, 18:28

Faith Hill... shyining, but otherwise nailed her rendition of America the Beautiful.

Jennifer Hudson... curious backing rhythm on the anthem (thought it was Songsmith for a second), but less tremolo than other 'my interpretation is more important than the song' divas at past events.

And Sullenberger and the Hudson landing flight crew? SRSLY?

Will they land on her later?

Sadly, BBC coverage (rebroadcasting NBC) means I'll miss the commercials. Some years the ads have been better than the game. Hope this year they're at least equal. Yay for the internets.

Teevee here in the UK does give us a red button on the remote to pick alternate commentary options though. Hope this year they're not needed.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-02-01, 18:46

Congrats, Doritos, for the first juvenile "someone gets hit in the nuts" spot of the game. Gee, I didn't see that coming in a Super Bowl commercial. Sounds like that marketing department has been putting in some overtime, thinking out of the box like that!

What's next...lots of titties and cleavage from skanky, ultra-mainstream pop tarts nobody really cares about?

You can almost write these things, sight unseen, at this point...

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-02-01, 18:48

Well Steelers are outhitting them so far, but the Cards won the first Challenge.

How was the first ad break?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Congrats, Doritos, for the first juvenile "someone gets hit in the nuts" spot of the game. Gee, I didn't see that coming in a Super Bowl commercial. Sounds like that marketing department has been putting in some overtime, thinking out of the box like that!

What's next...lots of titties and cleavage from skanky, ultra-mainstream pop tarts nobody really cares about?

You can almost write these things, sight unseen, at this point...

Ah...

But I'm intrigued about titties AND cleavage... and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-02-01, 18:53

Nope.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-02-01, 19:54

Whoa... what a way to end the half!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-02-01, 20:01

Yeah, that was pretty cool. A full 100 yards (longest play in Super Bowl history). I thought he was going to get tackled about 2-3 different times, but he made it though all the rough spots. Neat to see.

Poor guy was draining that oxygen tank afterwards. He probably hasn't had to run that far (and hard) in years.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-02-02, 00:08

That was an incredible game. I'm disappointed the Steelers won, but both teams did an outstanding job and it went right down to the wire. That's all I can really ask of a Super Bowl (as long as my Vikings aren't in it) - that it be an exciting, fun game to watch.