AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Commercials you love or hate

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Commercials you love or hate
Page 21 of 21 First Previous 17 18 19 20 [21]  Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2022-02-23, 11:40

I'm embarrassed for Dave Grohl. He doesn't usually make a misstep like that.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-23, 11:52

I watch so little network TV that I just don't see adds and don't even know of their existence outside of this thread. Streaming for the win!

But! I did catch about ten minutes of the Not Very Super Ball thingy the other day (my wife was watching out of boredom whilst I was working hard to avoid it, but she was eating and I didn't want her to eat alone, so I took one for the team), and saw one round of commercials. I think there were four or five, and all of them were trying to be witty/funny and none of them were. I really think this is because network television audiences have been so dumbed down by toilet-humor sit-coms that people's capacity to enjoy sound comedy has lapsed.

What the majority finds funny I find … not funny at all?

The 150-character, emojis and hashtags, 10-second-look-at-me-video crowd just doesn't seem to have the mental capacity for anything requiring thought.

In other words, funny isn't funny anymore.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-23, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I'm embarrassed for Dave Grohl. He doesn't usually make a misstep like that.
It's like a really bad sitcom. It just needs an obnoxious laugh-track dubbed in.

I'm just shocked they could get him to go 30 seconds without saying "fuck" (and all it's variants) 15-20 times. He's almost as bad as Bill Burr.

kscherer, commercials are worse now than at any point I can recall. Two speeds/approaches, both at opposite ends of the tone spectrum: either hyper-Woke™ or stupid/obnoxious-as-possible. Pick one.

Hardly any middle ground at all, it seems (my beloved "I thought we was eatin' beans at 3:30!" aside).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-02-23 at 12:08.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-02-23, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Hands down the most annoying commercial I’ve seen in a good 10 years. Maybe longer.

I don’t even understand the “hook” or purpose/joke.
Me neither. idgi
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-23, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Me neither. idgi
Good, it's not just me.

There’s a second one featuring Hart and he’s saying the same thing (keeps saying "what?!" to all his housemates). Maybe it’s a catchphrase of his? My only guess. I don't watch/follow him enough to truly know such stuff.

He’s criminally unfunny, regardless, what I have seen/heard from him for years. No wonder the Oscars tried to get him as a host a while back.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-02-23 at 16:54.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-02-16, 11:53

Apologies for the bump, but that's the nature of this thread. Commercials come and go, and good ones are few and far between.

My favorite one, and I see it playing on Magnolia network quite a bit lately, is this one for Belgard hardscaping products (pavers, stone work, etc.).

It's a simple premise, a couple going out for dinner and encountering traffic, long wait on a table and then being seated in a noisy, crowded area. Then realizing they're better off in their own backyard, sipping wine in a quiet environment. I agree.

I'll be honest, I think this woman is so attractive/cute, the way she says "I'm thinking about the salmon!" and then "better" at the end, drinking her wine. She's just adorable. Kinda has a bit of a Rita Wilson thing, which is just fine with me.

Belgard Backyard Date Night

Hell, it's so nice to find a commercial that isn't just one big obnoxious off-putting thing. It's nice to praise one of these things for once. They made a little story everyone who's ever tried to go out to dinner can relate to, and then put their products in a nice, positive light. That's all you have to do. Leave the politics, virtue signaling and statement-making to the beer and sneaker companies, who don't seem to care if they instantly and irreversibly annoy/offend half their customer base. Probably not as much wiggle room with a company like Belgard? Do it right.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-02-17 at 10:43.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-16, 13:45

That one is kinda fun.

Stay home, enjoy wine, forget the crowds!

Pretty simple, actually.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-02-16, 15:36

I think that's what makes it so watchable/effective (besides the babydoll female lead). Everyone has gone out and dealt with all this "dining out" hassle at some point. Most would love to stay home and drink wine with their bunny if they had a nice patio like that. Yes, simple and effective. "This is why going out sucks; and this is why staying home could be preferable...if you had an attractive, cozy spot to hang out."

Makes ME wanna go buy some pavers and stuff this weekend.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-02-17 at 10:44.