AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iTunes videos

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes videos
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-03-03, 12:14

I've got a few t.v. shows in iTunes now. They're not purchased, but ripped off of DVDs that I have. I'd like to have them show up in the "TV Shows" part of the Video "source" in iTunes. I can't figure out how to do that. They only show up in the "Movies" section, even though I've labeled them as "TV Shows" in the genre. The only show that shows up in the "TV Shows" part is the Conviction, which I downloaded from iTunes because it was free.

Any ideas?
frizz

Send a message via AIM to frizz Send a message via Skype™ to frizz 
2006-03-03, 19:21

Select the movie -> get info -> options -> Video kind, change that to TV show, and it will show in the TV show section.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-03-03, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizz
Select the movie -> get info -> options -> Video kind, change that to TV show, and it will show in the TV show section.
Thanks! That did it. I was doing the relabeling and I thought to myself "Geez, all of these are TV Shows. None of them are movies" and then it dawned on me: Movies will be coming in the iTMS. They have to be since there's no legal way to get most movies on your computer.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. You get some rep points!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-03-07, 09:22

Alright, frizz, here's one that'll stump you: how do I get the videos I have in iTunes to show up in FrontRow? The only one that'll show up is that Conviction episode I have. Nothing else will work unless I've got it in my "Movies" folder. Of course I *don't* because I have iTunes organizing my stuff for me, so it's in the iTunes music folder and I don't want to have 2 copies of all these videos lying around.

What I've done is create aliases to the folders and dropped them in the Movies folder, but that seems really stupid. Further, even after making the changes above, they *still* don't show up as "TV Shows" in frontrow. WTF is going on? Is Apple just being daft or difficult on purpose? (Like, no matter where I look I can't find where to name the "show" like they have on Conviction.)
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2006-03-07, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
They're not purchased, but ripped off of DVDs that I have.
Out of curosity, what did you use to rip your DVDs? I have so many movies on DVDs (which I purchased) and would love to put them into iTunes to get them into my iPod.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2006-03-07, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Alright, frizz, here's one that'll stump you: how do I get the videos I have in iTunes to show up in FrontRow? The only one that'll show up is that Conviction episode I have. Nothing else will work unless I've got it in my "Movies" folder. Of course I *don't* because I have iTunes organizing my stuff for me, so it's in the iTunes music folder and I don't want to have 2 copies of all these videos lying around.

What I've done is create aliases to the folders and dropped them in the Movies folder, but that seems really stupid. Further, even after making the changes above, they *still* don't show up as "TV Shows" in frontrow. WTF is going on? Is Apple just being daft or difficult on purpose? (Like, no matter where I look I can't find where to name the "show" like they have on Conviction.)
What format are they torifile? I found that they have to be a certain file type to show up in Front Row through iTunes.

Ill look more into this when I get home.

edit: I have checked and Quicktime formated videos will show up in the Movies directory of Front Row if they are in your iTunes library. I think it has to do with the format of the videos you are trying to watch.

Last edited by onlyafterdark : 2006-03-07 at 21:35.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-03-07, 21:58

That's the thing - they don't. They DO show up in frontrow, but only the originals not the stuff that iTunes copied to my library. Here's what I did:

- I converted the video to mp4 and put the mp4s in my movies directory
- added them to my iTunes library
- for some videos, I deleted the mp4s that were in my movies directory, others I haven't gotten around to yet
- the videos that are still in my movies directory show up in Frontrow, under the movies "tab", despite the fact that they are t.v. shows and labeled as such
- the videos that I deleted from my movies directory (but are still on my hard drive where iTunes copied them to) do not show up in frontrow. No matter what. Same format as those videos that do show up (in the wrong place).

Any ideas?

BTW, I used mac the ripper + handbrake to make my videos. Worked like a charm. And on my Intel iMac, I could convert to h.264, two-pass in around real-time. IOW, 70 fps for some videos.

edit: nevermind. I'm a jackass. They were listed under "unknown artist" in my movies in frontrow. That's stupid. Why aren't they tv shows? I can't figure out how to label them as such (and the artist categorization doesn't make any sense WRT movies anyway. Frontrow is cool but sorta half-baked.)
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2006-03-07, 22:12

I just skipped the whole iTunes holding my movies in favour of having all my movies in the Movies folder. It made things a lot easier for me when searching for specific shows.

But now I dont use Front Row at all. Its been really hit and miss lately and now my Quicktime is acting up when watching videos.

Sometimes a guy cant win.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-03-07, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
I just skipped the whole iTunes holding my movies in favour of having all my movies in the Movies folder. It made things a lot easier for me when searching for specific shows.

But now I dont use Front Row at all. Its been really hit and miss lately and now my Quicktime is acting up when watching videos.

Sometimes a guy cant win.
Well, I'd like them on my iPod so I can watch them on my t.v. too (I've gotta say that the iPod's video playing ability is pretty neat - the X-Files all on my iPod so I can watch them downstairs or on my computer so I can watch them in my office on my computer.)
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2006-03-07, 22:31

Well that sucks then. Hopefully Apple will improve Front Row so it is a little more usable and customizable.

I forgot about the need to put the movies on the iPod.
Reid

2006-03-08, 17:32

I can't get home-ripped TV Shows to show up in Front Row either.

Videos labeled "Music Video" (Get Info->Options) will show up in Front Row exactly as expected, allowing navigation by Artist and Album, just like you navigate your music library.

Videos labeled as "Movies" in iTunes will show up under "Movies" in Front Row, but with no organization based on Artist/Album; just an alphabetical list. mixed in with the folders in your ~/Movies directory.

Videos labeled as "TV Show" in iTunes won't show up in Front Row at all, unless they were purchased from the Music Store ON THAT COMPUTER. I have an episode of "Lost" I purchased at work, burned to a CD (as a protected M4P file) and then copied to my library at home. Even that doesn't show up in Front Row, let alone the hundreds of episodes of TV shows I've ripped from DVDs for viewing on my iPod.

It's just an unbelievable oversight and I can't understand how Apple let the bug stand for even a week, let alone the 5 months or so since Front Row debuted. Could it be intentional on their part, as a way to discourage copyright infringement? Of course, there's no "send feedback to Apple" link specific to Front Row, and the iTunes feedback page is really only meant for requesting music on the Music Store.