AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

First 10.5 Problem--Windows Printers

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
First 10.5 Problem--Windows Printers
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2007-10-28, 07:59

So far everything went smoothly with the various upgrades, but regardless of whether I did an upgrade or clean install (I knew I would have to do this), I had to add all printers. I have noticed on the windows printer connected to a Windows 2000 machine (HP d145), it requires that each time I enter the authentication even though I asked it to be stored in Keychain. On one machine I accidently stored the wrong password and even though I overwrote it, it keeps coming up with the original (wrong) one.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-28, 08:26

Have you installed the Keychain Update yet?
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2007-10-28, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I do not remember specifically being asked to download it but I did check the software update and there is nothing to update.

Any ideas to tell if it is current?

Hold on. . . I just found it. Let me install it and come back.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-28, 09:02

Info
Download

I do think it's supposed to come up in Software Update, but whatever.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2007-10-28, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Thanks, this seems to have fixed the problem.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2007-10-29, 22:06

Well, I spoke to early. I am still being asked to authenticate randomly regardless of the application I am trying to print (Office, PDF, Safari). Never ever had this problem from any of my 5 Apple computers prior to upgrading to Leopard.

Any ideas?

jcoley2
Veteran Member

2007-10-31, 15:15

Well, I am continuing to have problems with my HP d145 hooked to the WIndows Machine. I cannot seem to print in landscape. I have tried a few different drivers but potriat is fine, landscape is not.

I did some searching around and found this article:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...71030122926454

HP Printers (various models) Users are experiencing various issues with HP printers after the update to Leopard. Some sample reports:

"The bare bones HP printer drivers put in place as part of the OS 10.5 install work only intermittently -- with many trips to the preferences print & fax panel to 'un-pause' printers who by default have a communication break down and 'pause' themselves; 'pipe broken' message in the error log file.
"The really nice AiO drivers and applications (scan, fax, etc.) that worked flawlessly in 10.4.x don't work at all and in fact are not re-installed by the OS 10.5 HP selection during install. When copied over from a 10.4.10 partition, they stall. The HP installer CD stalls as well; maybe due to a difference in the filing protocol in 10.5?"
"After upgrading from Tiger to Leopard, landscape printing doesn't work on my HP LaserJet 1200 connected to a Windows print server. The print orientation hasn't been rotated. Portrait works fine. Prior to the upgrade I could print in both portrait and landscape. The driver version is claimed to be 4.0.0.080. I tried using both LaserJet 1200 drivers that shipped with Leopard, and a generic postscript driver, all with the same result. Printing from a Windows PC to the same printer in portrait or landscape mode worked with no problem."
"HP 6MP printer -- have it connected via Ethernet using a AsanteTalk AppleTalk to Ethernet adapter. All connections seem good. All drivers were loaded during the install and are in the appropriate folders Doesn't show in Printer Dialog Box. Can't find in the Fax/Printer Preference panel as well when I try to add. Maybe its the end of the road for this solution for a legacy AppleTalk device or is it a driver issue?"

I guess I am not alone. Is it reasonable to expect that HP will deliver updated drivers?

jcoley2
Veteran Member

2007-11-01, 06:52

I do not think this problem is just with Windows or HP printers, as last night I tried printing an Excel doc in landscape to an Epson 3100 connect to a iMac using Bonjour and I have the same problem of no landscape. It did allow me to print multiple copies at once.

So this might be a problem with Office and not print drivers.

RIght now I am PDF the docs and then rotating and printing them but this is a pain in the ass. . . .

jcoley2
Veteran Member

2007-11-11, 13:46

I finally just hooked the HP d145 to the Apple computer directly and I have no more problems, so I am guessing this was a WIndows issue.