Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Espresso vs Coda

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Espresso vs Coda
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-02-09, 23:54

I've been using Coda and CSSEdit to write my code, but only just found out that MacRabbit has pulled CSSEdit inside of their coding product called Espresso. I have become really familiar with Coda now, and would hate to switch - but I'm wondering if you folks have any thoughts on the differences between the two. I have version 1.0 of Espresso to fool around with, but I'm sure that the most current version is much more developed and I'm going to download the demo.

Anywayz....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-02-10, 00:58

I never really got a handle around CSSEdit, or around the CSS features of Coda (I just write the CSS myself). So it's probably not surprising that I couldn't really figure out Espresso, but am very comfortable with Coda.

So my recommendation is generally Coda, but If you already use and like CSSEdit, Espresso would probably work well for you.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-02-10, 09:01

I qualified for a $29.95 upgrade so I did it and will give it a whirl. Coda's "strength" seems to be its simplicity. CSSEdit's strength was the ability to observe changes to a page's appearance in real time. It's going to take me awhile to absorb the interface of Espresso. My first impression is that it was a mistake for them to fold such a jewel of a stand-alone CSS editor into a full-fledged editor, but time will tell.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-02-10, 10:32

I think a lot of the functionality that was in the CSS app that lets you "x-ray" a page to see how the cascade affects the design, is also built into web browser plugins for developers, specifically Firebug. I believe you can open any page and it will show you where the errors and slow spots are, and also I think you can highlight areas and as you go along it tells you which part of the code built that area. But it's been a while since I've used either.

Coda I think is it's own niche and unless you considering BBEdit to be a modern tool, is the way to go for general purpose web coding if you want a nice UI to work within, etc.

...into the light of a dark black night.