User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Youtube videos giving me a black screen(with a twist)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Youtube videos giving me a black screen(with a twist)
Wrao
Yarp

2011-02-22, 17:10

I recently upgraded to Flash 10.2 and everything was operating smoothly when all of a sudden(as in, no direct changes that I can think of occurred) Youtube videos stopped loading. Instead, all I get is a black screen. I primarily use Safari 5.0.3 in OS X 10.6.6, but I also have Firefox installed so I checked it out in Firefox, same thing. The next thing I tried was disabling all extensions in Firefox and in Safari, I don't have many, but the few I do have(like clicktoflash) seemed like they could be culprits. No luck there. So I tried clearing the cookies in Safari, but again no change. Finally I tried reinstalling Flash, but again, black screens in both Firefox and Safari. (I also tried logging out of youtube, logging back in, and poking around in settings there)

Now, here is where it gets a little weird. If I change the user agent to "Safari 5.03 - Windows" then videos load just fine. In fact, if I change the user agent to anything other than "Safari 5.0.3 - Mac" or "Safari 4.0.5 - Mac" and my videos load.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Also, other sites with flash are working fine, it is only Youtube(as best as I can tell)
Wrao
Yarp

2011-02-25, 20:14

Still isn't working for me, although I did make some progress. In deleting all the youtube related cookies I found that the video I was (trying to) viewing would load upon refresh. But, clicking on any new video and it doesn't load.
Wrao
Yarp

2011-03-01, 16:29

Been tinkering with it some more, still doesn't work, but strangely if I disabled plugins, reload the page, enable plugins then reload the page again, it will work. I feel like I have tried everything at this point, except reinstalling flash 10.1 because I cannot find a download link for it.

The only other development is that the Flash plugin has started crashing fairly frequently, Safari doesn't, just the flash plugin. I hope I don't have to reinstall Safari...
Wrao
Yarp

2011-03-01, 16:41

If I run Safari in 32-bit mode then Youtube works again, downside, everything else is slower.
Wrao
Yarp

2011-03-08, 12:28

Tried updating to the 10.3 beta and turning 32-bit mode off, now I get a black screen with audio but no video.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-08, 12:47

Didn't pscates have this problem too?

Have you tried another user account?