Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
I think they're gone permanently.
That's my feeling too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
My brother speculated it was to reduce load on their servers.
Maybe. I'm still convinced it's to improve load on their bank accounts.
Well, now we have an official answer:

https://www.facebook.com/PokemonGO/p...40141879465704
Quote:
- We have removed the ‘3-step’ display in order to improve upon the underlying design. The original feature, although enjoyed by many, was also confusing and did not meet our underlying product goals. We will keep you posted as we strive to improve this feature.
Nothing about performance. Everything about it being a deliberate "design" choice.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2016-08-03, 11:46

"Did not meet our underlying product goals" = people were catching Pokémon too fast and we want to sell more Pokéballs

It really wasn't confusing when it worked. I mean, it would have been even less confusing if the game had any kind of tutorial whatsoever, but it's pretty intuitive and the Internet figured it out pretty quick. When I started playing the Nice!/Great!/Excellent! thing and the shrinking ring was more confusing to me, but they kept that (and actually changed it, which is confusing). I fail to see how not knowing where Pokémon are "improves the underlying design" for anyone other than Niantic (and even then, I've heard that a lot of people lost interest when the footprints initially "broke").

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-08-03, 18:02

If they keep deploying more progress-breaking "features" at the current rate, I wonder how long before they decide to just straight sell pokémon.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-08-04, 00:36

I'm still only a 10th level casual player but I had looked forward to using the footprints when time permitted, but a friend clued me in to the fact it was broken and that it would disappear once I updated the app (which was today). Oh well. Nothing lasts forever.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2016-08-04, 09:51

So, I've now also been able to confirm that pokemon of the same CP can have different stats. I have two paras, both with a CP of 286. (I also didn't realize until recently that you can have the same Pokemon and different special moves, huh) I have two Joteons, but one has "Discharge" and the other has "Electroshock" or something like that.

However, looking at their actual stats, one seems to be about 2 powerups ahead on the bar, yet has lower overall health. Clearly the second para is the better option to evolve. I had thought there was less variability than that.

Look to be about the same, should toss either one to the Professor's Pokemon processor for some candy, right? Wrong.

Clearly an evolution or three ahead on the power up bar, but same CP and lower overall health.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me

Last edited by alcimedes : 2016-08-04 at 10:48. Reason: Special moves differences.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-04, 22:09

I am disappointed about the API change and not just because it means the maps are down. I'm disappointed because it means I can't walk fast and actually catch as many Pokemon! When I walk at night by myself I'm walking fast. I have crap spawning behind me now making it a royal pain to grab it while I'm walking. Niantic changed the scan time to 10 seconds. This makes it also hard to play in a vehicle (my wife/kids play my game while I drive) like a bus or as a passenger. I know the goal is walking, but now if I want to catch them while I'm walking at a 15 minute mile pace I have to now slow down.

Also the fact that now CP 10 monsters will actually jump out of the balls and then run away is absurd. I expected it of the 1300+ Snorlax, not a Rattata though!

I'm still enjoying the game overall, frustrated about a few of the recent changes though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2016-08-04, 22:56

I want the devs to make ultra-rares spawn in launch pad flame trenches at the Cape on launch days, see how many people are stupid enough to try it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-08-05, 00:28

I observed a conversation where people were lamenting spending too much effort on powering up pokies when they would just run across higher level ones in the wild later on. I assume this is true, but not sure how else you'd spend your time otherwise.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-05, 11:32

Yes, as you get higher leveled you will find higher level monsters. I have read a few times that it is not recommended to level monster up until you are level 20. At that point your level up power seems better and you will have amassed a large amount of stardust to do it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2016-08-05, 14:13

I was just noticing that. I'm finding that the combat power of pokemon seems to be a combination of my level X creature CP level. Although, there was a time when I found a Pokemon who's CP just came back as ??? because it was so much higher than I was, so there must be some possible variation to the high end even at low levels.

I just found a tier 1 Eevee that upgraded to a 1,400 CP vaporeon, I had another Eevee caught a week ago that was almost fully maxed out CP-wise, and it was almost 100 points lower than the one I found today.

Google is your frenemy.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-06, 14:42

Well, the map program I was using is officially dead now. The lead developer got a C&D from Niantic so they officially killed it. On the bring side, I still have my map of Pokestops and Gyms in my region. Of course it will never be updated from here, unless I learn python better than I do now and make the changes myself. The one thing I did do was modify the database so it no longer shows lured Pokestops and all gyms being marked as empty now rather than stuck in the state they were in three days ago.

Also, thanks to you guys letting me know I could collect the guard loot once a character is in the gym. Yesterday I added a monster to a gym and then collected the bonus. Then I took two more gyms but couldn't collect because I needed to wait from the cool down period. So this morning I went out and took three gyms and then collected my loot. . I'm up to 40 gold coins finally!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-08-06, 15:22

I finally had the nerve to go into a gym yesterday.

It was my own team's gym, so I don't know if I was in danger or just sparring.

I had ABSOLUTELY no idea how to fight so I just kept poking the other guy's bird.

I totally won!

But I didn't know what that gave me, if anything. Still don't.

Moments later the gym fell to a different team. Not sure if that had anything to do with me or not.

So I don't (yet) know what guard loot is.

I don't know know how to drop my monster off at the gym for daycare (fighting?) and pick it up later – I didn't even know you could check them in and leave them (yet).

Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-06, 23:14

The thing about fighting in gyms is that if you don't do it then you end up with your bag overrun with potions and revives. So unless you want to trow them away, fight in a gym and either level it up for your team, which is what you were helping with Drew, or knock out the opposing team and put one of your people in it.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-08-07, 01:00

I've thrown away SO. MANY. POTIONS. because I don't make the time to trek out to gyms to use them. I really wish they could be cashed in for something like transferring crappy pokémon gives you candy.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2016-08-07, 04:25

I took over a gym today and was training for a while. Next thing I know, there was another bugger in there on my team. Pretty cool!

Then that darn red team showed up... epic battles ensued.

Once I ran out of potions from kicking their arse, then them kicking mine, I walked up the embankment to the path and two guys on bikes looked over at me and said "That's where he was!". We had a laugh. I was sneaky.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-07, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I've thrown away SO. MANY. POTIONS. because I don't make the time to trek out to gyms to use them. I really wish they could be cashed in for something like transferring crappy pokémon gives you candy.
Yeah, some benefit from having collected them would be nice. Maybe even trade them for some thing, like 6 regular potions for a hyper or something like that. Heck, I wouldn't mind the ability to throw out eggs too. I wouldn't bother with a 2k egg ever again. As it is, I only do those in my unlimited incubator.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2016-08-08, 13:24

Is there a difference in what hatches out of the 2k, 5k and 10k eggs? I only ask because the only 10k egg I've hatched gave me a Pidgie, and the only 2k egg i've hatched gave me a sea horse guy. it seems like the contents of the eggs are random?

Google is your frenemy.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-08-08, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Is there a difference in what hatches out of the 2k, 5k and 10k eggs? I only ask because the only 10k egg I've hatched gave me a Pidgie, and the only 2k egg i've hatched gave me a sea horse guy. it seems like the contents of the eggs are random?
Yes, the larger-km eggs have more rare-types as possible hatches that are never available in the smaller-km eggs. I've seen a few charts online that people have defined based on their findings. Let's see if I can find one…

edit: here's one:

It's not really clear from the image, but 10 km eggs can get *all* of these, but the ones under the 10 km line are *only* available from 10 km eggs. 5 kg eggs include the 2 km and 5 km sections. 2 km eggs are only the 2 km section.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-08, 19:39

Neat. I was wondering that too but hadn't looked it up yet.

They just did an update to Pokemon Go... don't play and drive. Now you have to tell the app you're a passenger if you get going to fast. I'm sure no one will ever lie about that.

I'm more interested in if they fixed rats and pigeons from running away with a CP of 10!

Edit: Not improved at all. I just went for a walk and crappy low level Pokemon kept running away.

Last edited by turtle : 2016-08-08 at 20:26.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-08-08, 20:39

Quote:
Minor text fixes

OK. I'm convinced now that Niantic is in on the joke, and this is their Herobrine.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-08, 20:44

I think you are right!

On the really bright side, I took five gyms today and collected the loot before I was knocked out of any of them! I'm up to 120 coins at this point.

So what is the best way to spend them? I'm thinking upgrade my bag first, because you always need more poke balls.

After that...??? Monster storage or incubators?

My though is to do all of the non-consumables first, then the consumables.

Edit: Also why there are so many Pidgeys and Rattatas out there..

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-08-08, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
On the really bright side, I took five gyms today and collected the loot before I was knocked out of any of them! I'm up to 120 coins at this point.
Holy pokéballs! Nice work!

Quote:
So what is the best way to spend them? I'm thinking upgrade my bag first, because you always need more poke balls.
Yeah, I've been tempted to drop $5 on the store just to hold more balls and pokeys, but given Niantic's behavior, I can't bring myself to actually give them money yet.

Seems like one upgrade of each bag would go a long way.

Quote:
After that...??? Monster storage or incubators?
Just keep in mind that the incubators for sale are the shitty 3-use kind. So, I'd max out any interested storage first.

edit: minor text fixes

drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-08-08, 21:58

I just went to look at my Ekans tonight and they're gone. I had 3 of them and they ARE NOT THERE.

Any idea whether they're permanently missing?

Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-09, 13:23

As much as I'm overall enjoying the game it is articles like this that make me really wonder if it's worth it to play this game. I get that for the game to be able to connect me with the location of a monster I would need to allow it to know where I am in the world. Given the less than stellar privacy record of Hanke I'm more and more concerned about what this guy is actually doing with my data and what the real intent of the game is.

In the mean time with my head in the sand, it is fun!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-10, 19:54

Quote:
- No text fixes

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-08-10, 21:25

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2016-08-26, 15:15

Apparently if you visit 10 *different* pokestops in a row, the 10th one gives you approx 2x the loot.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-26, 23:17

You know, I do recall seeing that now that I think about it. I never realized it though until you posted this. I always wondered why I got so much loot from some v others.

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2016-08-29, 22:58

Hey guys, I came across a level 10 gym and wanted to add a guy but it was full. Not full of good ones, but 4-5 300CP buggers. I'd like to replace a couple of those, but training didn't seem to do anything.

I'd rather not start a rival profile to fight my own team. Is there any way to knock out the lowest and replace it with mine?

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2016-08-30, 09:05

Nope. Once a gym hits level 10 it's done. Can't add any more and no one will leave until they're kicked out by another team beating them.

Google is your frenemy.