User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Which to buy

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Which to buy
geehamonster

2006-02-09, 23:27

I have the chance to buy a 15" powerbook for $1400 from my school. I am wondering what you all think I should do, buy the powerbook or hold off and buy the 15" macbook pro for $1800? I am a little scared to buy the macbook because I have a feeling it will be replaced by a better version with more features soon. Let me know what you think.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-02-09, 23:32

What are the specs on the model they'd sell you?
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-02-09, 23:32

err..yeah, of course it will...before the end of this year there will be a bigger and badder Macbook pro.

But I'm confused by your fear....you're afraid to buy a MBP because it will be replaced by a better version with more features...yet you are willing to buy a Powerbook????

I'd go with the MBP...definitely. if the PB was $400 cheaper, then it'd be a different story. That's how much I'd pay for the last two Powerbook variants right now, specially a USED one.

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
geehamonster

2006-02-09, 23:34

It would be exactly the same as the macbook pro. 1.67 processor speed, 512 RAM, 80 gig hard drive and so forth. The only difference I think would be the size but you all already knew that.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-02-09, 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehamonster
It would be exactly the same as the macbook pro. 1.67 processor speed, 512 RAM, 80 gig hard drive and so forth. The only difference I think would be the size but you all already knew that.
There's a big difference between a 1.67 GHz G4 and a 1.67 GHz Core Duo. You're also looking at slower DDR2 in the PB. That, and the fact that you'd be buying into the platform that is being moved away from. We know that all future apps will be released as universal binaries, but we don't know which platform will run them better. Plus, as more and more apps are optimized for dual-core machines, you and your Power Book would be left behind.

The current MacBook Pro will be replaced eventually, but not in the way that the PowerBook is being replaced. If you're concerned about the future, there is little reason to buy a PB.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-02-10, 00:13

Plus the Macbook has a faster fsb, which is probably what helps Apple make the 'faster' claims. Less bottlenecking...I wish my PB had that.
macleod
Now in lower-caseā„¢!

2006-02-15, 14:07

i agree.. i think the macbook makes more sense because it will probably only be size changes in the near future, while the jump from a powerbook to the macbook is a considerable speed difference.