AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple vs. Beatles? WTF

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple vs. Beatles? WTF
Aesahaettr
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-03-27, 21:32

I just read this for the first time, but I'm still a little foggy on what the hell it's about.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1624

Could anyone explain this to me? Is it really against the law to have a logo that's an apple, even though it is totally different than the Beatles' logo?

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-27, 21:37

Where have you been? You missed all the fun!

SpecMode
Wait what

2006-03-27, 21:39

Quote:
Apple Corps is claiming that the introduction of iTunes broke a $26 million settlement from 1991 under which Apple Computer agreed to steer clear of the music business, for which the Beatles’ company retains the famous trademark.
This is what the whole back-and-forth battle is all about. There is, additionally, another thread already discussing the latest round.

Edit: Blast! Too slow! (but I also included the quote from the article he linked that summarizes the whole thing, so I win. )

Aesahaettr
BANNED

2006-03-27, 21:43

Wow. Well this sucks. Fuck the Beatles. They can go to hell for taking Apple to court over such a stupid issue. Next question: why does everyone say "Apple Computer," since I would think "Apple Computers" sounds right?

doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-03-27, 21:47

Whoa, whoa. Don't say "Fuck the Beatles."
Say, "Apple should not be getting sued again over this fucking mess."
Just don't put Fuck and Beatles together, please.

Aesahaettr
BANNED

2006-03-27, 21:54

Well I am not a big fan of them anyways, and if they are cost Apple millions of dollars that could be used to help Apple become better and combat Gates then I have an even lower profile of them. However, I did like the stuff they did with Ravi Shankar (one of my favs). To each his own.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-27, 21:57

You're living up to your moniker quite well.

1. You'll want to be careful about what you say about The Beatles around here, that kind of talk won't make you friends very quickly.

2. Since when is Apple "combatting" Gates? Do you have any clue what you're talking about?

Come waste your time with me

Aesahaettr
BANNED

2006-03-27, 22:00

Apple and Microsoft don't really care for each other. You know that right? And anyone who doesn't like me based solely on my taste in music I don't really need as a friend anyway.

Enki

2006-03-27, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesahaettr
Wow. Well this sucks. Fuck the Beatles. They can go to hell for taking Apple to court over such a stupid issue. Next question: why does everyone say "Apple Computer," since I would think "Apple Computers" sounds right?
Are you always so loving when making comments on the boards?

On the second point maybe because the company name is "Apple Computer, Inc"? Naw, the legal name couldn't possible have anything to do with why everyone doesn't still add the "s" Apple deleted long ago.

Aesahaettr
BANNED

2006-03-27, 22:03

I got that before. I knew it was Apple Computer, Inc. But I'm asking why it's name is singular as opposed to plural, since they make more than one computer.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-27, 22:04

Quote:
Apple and Microsoft don't really care for each other. You know that right? And anyone who doesn't like me based solely on my taste in music I don't really need as a friend anyway.
It's not just your taste in music, it's your insistence on talking like an idiot.

Microsoft and Apple don't really care for each other? Is that why Microsoft makes Microsoft Word for Mac? Is that why Apple makes QuckTime and iTunes for Windows?

Granted, the two companies aren't going to be caught kissing, they're certainly not at war with one another.

Aesahaettr
BANNED

2006-03-27, 22:06

Alright. Whatever. I don't talk like an idiot. I'm merely voicing my OPINION that the Beatles should back off of Apple, and also recognizing the common disagreements between many PC and Mac users. I know a lot who hate each other and get into huge arguements.

Aesahaettr
BANNED

2006-03-27, 22:08

Plus, the reasons Quicktime and iTunes is for PC as well, and Microsoft Office is for Mac is because they want to make as much money as possible, which means making it available to other platforms. It's purely buisness.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-27, 22:12

Yes, there are quite a few disagreements between Mac and PC users, but the attitudes, ideas, and opinions of the users don't reflect the attitudes, ideas, and opinions of the individual companies. You've suggested that there's some sort of animosity between the companies. It's no secret that Jobs has publicly insulted MS and the Windows OS on more than one occasion, but that certainly doesn't mean that Apple and MS "don't care for one another."

Again, I wasn't talking about your taste in music, I was referring to your profanity-laden post about The Beatles and their intentions in filing suit against Apple. You could have thought of a much better way to word that than you did. It just wasn't very becoming of someone who is probably pretty intelligent.

Edit:
Of course it's business! That's the point. To maintain a healthy and productive business relationship requires a certain amount of (for lack of a better word) love between two companies. MS knows that some people will switch to Mac because they know they can run Word from a Mac system; although, they'll end up making money off the partnership.

doublem9876

2006-03-27, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
It just wasn't very becoming of someone who is probably pretty intelligent.
You really word your sentences very nicely.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-27, 22:18

Err...thanks? I think.

I hope you're being serious, I really can't tell.

Aesahaettr
BANNED

2006-03-27, 22:21

Thank you for your compliment on my intelligence, strange enough as it is since I believe you said I was "talking like an idiot." Besides that point, I might have been too rash in using some minor vulgarities, although I try to keep an open mind about them when I speak in an unformal environment. Anyways, I got my answer to my question, so thanks for that, and sorry about our disagreement.

doublem9876

2006-03-27, 22:24

Quote:
I hope you're being serious, I really can't tell.
I'm very serious

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-27, 22:26

Quote:
Thank you for your compliment on my intelligence, strange enough as since I believe you said I was "talking like an idiot." Besides that point, I might have been too rash in using some minor vulgarities, although I try to keep an open mind about them when I speak in an unformal environment. Anyways, I got my answer to my question, so thanks for that, and sorry about our disagreement.
Disagreements happen, but before you insult my way of speaking (or typing, as it were) be sure you don't make up words first. Informal, not unformal. Not to mention most of your above posts being filled with grammatical errors, but that's neither here nor there. Let's continue with a productive discussion in the other thread.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem9876
I'm very serious
Thanks!

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-03-27, 22:29

Quote:
Disagreements happen, but before you insult my way of speaking (or typing, as it were) be sure you don't make up words first. Informal, not unformal. Not to mention most of your above posts being filled with grammatical errors, but that's neither here nor there. Let's continue with a productive discussion in the other thread.
Sounds good to me.