Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Parallels with Boot Camp partition slowing down Mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Parallels with Boot Camp partition slowing down Mac
markw10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-01-30, 16:41

I've had a MacBook Pro for around 3 months and have used it with Parallels and have been very happy with it. I was amazed how fast Windows XP ran on the Mac and as well OS X performed well. Now with the newer release of Parallels supporting Boot Camp partitions I decided to go that route figuring I can use Boot Camp for gaming and otherwise run Boot Camp through Parallels. Once I went this route though Windows slowed down a lot. Most of all when I went into OS X it as well ran much slower if Parallels was open. Most of this delay occurs when booting up Windows but as well even otherwise it runs slower. Has anyone else been experiencing this? I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or something that may be fixed in a future Parallels update since this is a new feature.
Unfortunately I'm ready to go back to a Parallels Virtual Drive. I know I can use both Boot Camp and Parallels separately as well. Most of the problem is with hard drive space then but maybe once Boot Camp works on external hard drives (I hope it will soon) I will go that route.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-01-30, 16:53

I noticed too. I got a Mac Pro so it's not that terrible but it is definitively slower than a standard VM.

And for me it occasionned another problem. Now I can't boot in Boot Camp natively. It just restart automaticly or if I try safe mode, it just freeze.

So we can say that the Boot Camp thing is not perfect yet... Oh wait ! What's this ? Seems like it still in beta. That would explain a lot of thing

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
specter

2007-01-31, 07:36

Yes, it's really still in beta and it really explains all the problems. Parallels have been polishing up all the "rough edges" so far (just like with USB support for example). But don't forget, that Parallels is a Virtual Machine and eats ram in huge amounts That's why it is natural that it slows down your machines(in this or that way).
20newUser

2007-02-02, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
I've had a MacBook Pro for around 3 months and have used it with Parallels and have been very happy with it. I was amazed how fast Windows XP ran on the Mac and as well OS X performed well. Now with the newer release of Parallels supporting Boot Camp partitions I decided to go that route figuring I can use Boot Camp for gaming and otherwise run Boot Camp through Parallels. Once I went this route though Windows slowed down a lot. Most of all when I went into OS X it as well ran much slower if Parallels was open. Most of this delay occurs when booting up Windows but as well even otherwise it runs slower. Has anyone else been experiencing this? I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or something that may be fixed in a future Parallels update since this is a new feature.
Unfortunately I'm ready to go back to a Parallels Virtual Drive. I know I can use both Boot Camp and Parallels separately as well. Most of the problem is with hard drive space then but maybe once Boot Camp works on external hard drives (I hope it will soon) I will go that route.
And how much RAM do you have? I heard that Parallels performance will be close to optimal with RAM not less that 2GB. Maybe the problem is in your Mac? Parallels really needs a lot of Ram!!
markw10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-02-02, 11:50

I have 2GB on my Mac and dedicate 1GB to Parallels.
specter

2007-02-05, 07:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
I have 2GB on my Mac and dedicate 1GB to Parallels.
That's right, Parallels really gets almost optimal performance with 2GIGs of memory. I had 1.5GB of ram, half allotted to Parallels. It was running nice, but when I upgraded my RAM to 2Gigs the spped-up was quite sensible!