User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

What are the odds for a early 10.6 demo on WWDC?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What are the odds for a early 10.6 demo on WWDC?
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
DK-Lach

2008-05-08, 14:42

Thread title kind of say it all...

What do you guys think of the possibility of Jobs demoing an early build of 10.6 at WWDC?

As far as I recall, the first Leopard-features were shown about a year before its launch...
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-05-08, 14:55

Did they even have a cat named yet?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-05-08, 14:57

I'm sure they'll be an announcement of some sort. As far as an actual demo, who knows. Personally, I think MWSF '09 is going to be all about 10.6, hopefully with a release in the spring or summer (~18 months after Leopard).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-05-08, 14:58

I think we're a little while away from a 10.6 demonstration/announcement. OS X releases are getting farther apart, so I expect Leopard to be on shelves for at least two years, possibly three.

From 10.1:

10.1-10.2: 11 months
10.2-10.3: 1 year, 2 months
10.3-10.4: 1 year, 6 months
10.4-10.5: 2 years, 2 months (was supposed to be a little under 2 years)

I expect 10.6 in early 2010 at the earliest, with the first demo coming either at MWSF '09 or WWDC '09.

Last edited by Wyatt : 2008-05-08 at 15:30.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-05-08, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
I expect 10.6 in early 1010 at the earliest
Another 9 millennia? I can't wait that long.

I'm *so* getting a Dell.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-05-08, 15:07

Quote:
I expect 10.6 in early 1010 at the earliest, with the first demo coming either at MWSF '09 or WWDC '09.
Geez, think we should ask some archaeologists to dig it up?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-05-08, 15:08

Quote:
I think we're a little while away from a 10.6 demonstration/announcement. OS X releases are getting farther apart, so I expect Leopard to be on shelves for at least two years, possibly three.

From 10.1:

10.1-10.2: 11 months
10.2-10.3: 1 year, 2 months
10.3-10.4: 1 year, 6 months
10.4-10.5: 2 years, 2 months (was supposed to be a little under 2 years)

I expect 10.6 in early 1010 at the earliest, with the first demo coming either at MWSF '09 or WWDC '09.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryamusing View Post
Hmm...

Steve Jobs was actually quoted by The New York Times reporter John Markoff on October 22, 2007:

“I’m quite pleased with the pace of new operating systems every 12 to 18 months for the foreseeable future,” he said. “We’ve put out major releases on the average of one a year, and it’s given us the ability to polish and polish and improve and improve.”

(Source)

Personally, I don't like the idea of an update every year, but 18-24 months seems about right to me.

I used to think that OS X releases were slowing, as well, but apparently Jobs disagrees. I think the longer-than-usual development period of Leopard can be attributed to several things - iPhone development, most notably, but also the fact that it was the largest OS X update yet, along with perhaps a desire to have Leopard release the same year as Windows Vista. In other words: It's an anomaly, just as the lack of iLife '07 was, and we can expect a return to the 12-18 month development cycle of previous versions of OS X.

Personally, if I can get a Core 3 iMac running 10.6 next summer, I'll be happy.

Plus, then we'd get to see an awesome 10.7 vs. Windows 7 showdown at the end of 2010.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-05-08, 15:09

Roboman, didn't they (Jobs & Co.) say that they would slow down the releases after 10.4 or so?

Serves me right for not reading carefully. *eating crow*
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-05-08, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Roboman, didn't they (Jobs & Co.) say that they would slow down the releases after 10.4 or so?

Serves me right for not reading carefully. *eating crow*
It's cool, I had the quotes in an awkward order. I switched them to be more logical.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-05-08, 15:15

What exactly would they demo? The new background picture? They might talk about new features, but I also don't think there'll be a demo.

I think a 2-year release cycle makes sense. 10.5 works well, you don't want people to start skipping releases because they happen too fast and don't have enough compelling new features (this has supposedly happened to other OS vendors ).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-05-08, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
What exactly would they demo? The new background picture? They might talk about new features, but I also don't think there'll be a demo.

I think a 2-year release cycle makes sense. 10.5 works well, you don't want people to start skipping releases because they happen too fast and don't have enough compelling new features (this has supposedly happened to other OS vendors ).
I agree...annual releases would be a bit fast, but I'd be okay with a release every eighteen months or so (with larger releases, like 10.5 and presumably 11.0, taking a bit longer). I'd be cool with a release in April or May 2009, for example. But that might be because I'm planning on buying a computer that summer.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-05-08, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Another 9 millennia? I can't wait that long.

I'm *so* getting a Dell.
Quote:
Geez, think we should ask some archaeologists to dig it up?
Screw you guys.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-05-08, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I agree...annual releases would be a bit fast, but I'd be okay with a release every eighteen months or so (with larger releases, like 10.5 and presumably 11.0, taking a bit longer). I'd be cool with a release in April or May 2009, for example. But that might be because I'm planning on buying a computer that summer.
Which means of course that they'll release it that fall....
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-05-08, 15:45

I'll be shocked if any word of 10.6 is made this early on. Leopard just came out, really (less than six months ago), and besides, it seems this WWDC is going to be all about the iPhone, the SDK, iPhone software 2.0 and blah, blah.

I don't even think anyone at Apple is thinking much about 10.6 just yet.

And those releases have been spreading farther part with each one, so I don't think we'll hear anything about 10.6 until MWSF '09 at the absolute earliest (but, more likely, WWDC '09).

Leopard still has the new cat smell, and is just now "getting there" for many people.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-05-08, 15:50

I agree with 'scates - it'll be all iPhone, all the time. 10.6 won't be on the agenda.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-05-08, 16:00

I think that if they mention 10.6 at all, it will be in the area of incorporating technologies from the iPhone - multi-touch API for more than just the trackpad, a greatly enhanced sync system for generalized syncing of files, etc, and maybe a couple other goodies.

Maybe... *maybe* they'll touch on some nice little out there item, but so far, can anyone think of a technology that's on the horizon that Apple would do well to incorporate into the OS for developers to play with? I can't, off the top of my head, and this may be the first year that's happened.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-05-08, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Maybe... *maybe* they'll touch on some nice little out there item, but so far, can anyone think of a technology that's on the horizon that Apple would do well to incorporate into the OS for developers to play with? I can't, off the top of my head, and this may be the first year that's happened.
Core Cowbell and NSKitchenSink.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-05-08, 16:55

Quote:
I think that if they mention 10.6 at all, it will be in the area of incorporating technologies from the iPhone - multi-touch API for more than just the trackpad, a greatly enhanced sync system for generalized syncing of files, etc, and maybe a couple other goodies.

Aren't we still waiting for resolution independence? Isn't this the year that developers are supposed to be ready for it?

I don't know, I'm just asking.

Bill M

2008-05-08, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Aren't we still waiting for resolution independence? Isn't this the year that developers are supposed to be ready for it?

I don't know, I'm just asking.
Weird, that's exactly what we were discussing at work this morning. My PeeCee friends kept saying they won't even try Mac OS X until full resolution independence is implemented. I hope it makes it to 10.5.x soon.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-05-08, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Weird, that's exactly what we were discussing at work this morning. My PeeCee friends kept saying they won't even try Mac OS X until full resolution independence is implemented. I hope it makes it to 10.5.x soon.
Is Vista resolution independent? If it isn't, isn't that argument kind of...moot? (Not that it isn't anyways, 'cause Vista is...Vista.)
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-05-08, 17:13

I'm confused, as well, because I had understood that the responsibility of making R.I. fell upon the developers of the applications (sure, Apple has to work on their own OS and applications but after that, it's entirely up to the developers to do their jobs)?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-05-08, 17:14

Quote:
I'm confused, as well, because I had understood that the responsibility of making R.I. fell upon the developers of the applications (sure, Apple has to work on their own OS and applications but after that, it's entirely up to the developers to do their jobs)?
Apple hasn't exposed an interface to actually enable and adjust RI in the standard Mac OS X install, though, and the last time I checked, even Apple's own apps don't behave 100% properly when RI is toggled with the developer tools.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-05-08, 17:27

So it's more of "Apple has to provides the API, and it's up to developer to use those APIs" deal then?
chucker

2008-05-08, 23:59

The API is there. Some guidelines are as well. Utilities, too.

However, both Apple and third parties have a lot of work left to do to make their applications look right in higher resolutions. New applications that don't make use of this yet ship all the time.

Then there's the lack of a user-level setting, like Brad said, coupled with the lack of screens where this would make much sense.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-05-09, 07:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
My PeeCee friends kept saying they won't even try Mac OS X until full resolution independence is implemented.
No they won't, they'll come up with some other quasi-technical sounding justification, ad nauseum.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-05-09, 08:47

Quote:
No they won't, they'll come up with some other quasi-technical sounding justification, ad nauseum.
Lol that's EXACTLY what I thought.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-05-09, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
Absolutely right. I used to be a Day 1 adopter of OS updates, but I'm still using 10.4.11 and don't really feel like I'm missing much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I'll be shocked if any word of 10.6 is made this early on. Leopard just came out, really (less than six months ago), ...

Leopard still has the new cat smell, and is just now "getting there" for many people.
No question. Leopard is about six months old on paper, but for a lot of people, it wasn't ready for prime time until the release of 10.5.2 several months later. I can't imagine 10.6 will be hitting the shelves any earlier than early 2010.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-05-09, 10:06

I'm still having the airport drop on waking from sleep issue, even with a clean install of 10.5.2 on my 2006 MacBook. I'd like the current Leopard issues resolved before listening to how great 10.6 "Civet" is going to make my daily grind on the compooter.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-05-09, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
I'm still having the airport drop on waking from sleep issue, even with a clean install of 10.5.2 on my 2006 MacBook. I'd like the current Leopard issues resolved before listening to how great 10.6 "Civet" is going to make my daily grind on the compooter.
Airport drop... it's not that bad. Sometime my MBP screen just stay black when coming out the sleep. I need to hard reboot to fix. Wow.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-05-09, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Airport drop... it's not that bad. Sometime my MBP screen just stay black when coming out the sleep. I need to hard reboot to fix. Wow.
Is that in Tiger or Leopard?

My main iMac G5 is still on Tiger. I don't want to move to Leopard until I've had some time with 10.5.3 (whenever that is released).