Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

pdf docs not printing. Any suggestions?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
pdf docs not printing. Any suggestions?
malcolm

2008-08-04, 16:48

Hi there,
For some reason, pdf documents aren't printing. Any suggestions re how I can get them to print?
Thanks, Malcolm
malcolm

2008-08-06, 10:33

I'm still unable to print a pdf document. Everything else is printing, so it's not the printer, or the connection.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I know it's worked in the past.
Cheers, Malcolm
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-08-06, 13:32

First thing I'd do is create another account and see if it prints from that. If so, it's your account, if not, it's possibly the software, but then you'll have a direction to look.

real hackers don't use sigs
malcolm

2008-08-07, 13:00

Hi Taskiss,
I'll try what you suggest, but I thought I'd try downloading the latest Lexmark driver first. I did that, installed it, and when I then tried printing the pdf, the printer actually sounded like it was going to print... but then, nothing.
So I googled Lexmark not printing pdf, or something like that, and various people said they'd had the same problems, which they solved by using a PPD file created by someone named Sven who seems to be involved in GIMP or something like that. The PPD is at: http://sven.gimp.org/misc/lex120n.ppd.gz

I've downloaded this, but I can't open it. Ar you meant to be able to open a ppd file, or should I add it to some inner printer folder instead?
thanks, Malcolm
beardedmacuser

2008-08-07, 13:21

I too am having printing issues, but with a Canon iR3025n at work. I think you can manually install PPD files when you setup printers in the Print & Fax System Preferences pane. There's a "Print Using" menu at the bottom of the window when you're configuring a new printer. From there you should hopefully be able to navigate to your chosen PPD file.

Grrr... now if only I could get this crappy Canon hulking POS to work.
malcolm

2008-08-07, 13:35

thank you o bearded one. It seems to have worked. Good luck with your own conundrum. Have you tried googling? Maybe this GIMP solution will work for you. Cheers, Malcolm
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-08-07, 13:54

Eh? PDFs don't print, but other docs do? I think that's actually impossible. IIRC, the OS X printing system converts *everything* to a PDF before it gets sent to the printer. Maybe it's a font issue. Try doing a print preview, then printing from that.
malcolm

2008-08-07, 15:31

Hi Dave,
I don't know what it was, but honestly, I tried two different pdfs, and neither would print (they had always printed before). Every other doc (word docs, textedits, etc.) had no problem printing.
It seems to be working now, as mentioned in my last post. When I went into the Print Prefs/Options/Driver, I noticed that the driver that was selected was a 'Generic' one... maybe in my efforts to change add the ppd, it all got sorted out. I notice that my Print Prefs now say I have a Lexmark E120 driver.
Malcolm