User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple to get a clue and start selling logo merchandise in stores...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple to get a clue and start selling logo merchandise in stores...
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-29, 23:17

I've only been begging for this since the day the first retail stores opened half a bazillion years ago...

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/...29150001.shtml

Heard some of the goofiest, nonsensical reasons in the world why they "shouldn't do this" too. Good thing I totally ignored some of you geniuses and kept the faith.

In any case, what in the world took so $#*%&!!% long?!?! They've done this at their Cupertino company store forever...just seemed like a no-brainer to me. They start flinging their retail stores all over this country and in other parts of the world, and never - until now - offered logo merchandise and apparel?

They've only got the most recognized, hip brand going AND the most loyal, devoted user-base and fans on the planet.

Bet it took a really super-smart "marketing/branding expert" with several degrees and previous high-paying gigs to come up with this idea.

Better late than never, I guess.

Now I don't have to pay redlightrunner.com $168 for a damn Apple logo hat. I'm happy.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-07-29 at 23:21.
rasmits
rams it

2005-07-29, 23:27

Well, the user base is their only form of advertising, why not help them out a little bit?
Alexia

Send a message via AIM to Alexia  
2005-07-29, 23:34

*raises hand* I would wear a big blue Apple.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-07-29, 23:46

I would buy one but they would have to price it right. Im not going to pay $30 for an Apple branded t-shirt.

Ah, who am I kidding, of course I would. Im with scates, bring it on.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-29, 23:58

I'm not much of a T-shirt guy (depends on the design, cut and all), but I'd DEFINITELY get a hat, perhaps a keychain and some sort of cool thermos/mug thing for my beverages.

Oh, and maybe some sort of fleece or nylon pullover with a half-zipper and kangaroo pockets? I have a dark blue Old Navy fleece pullover and I love it...so soft and cozy. If I could get a black or gray one with a small crisp white Apple logo on the left chest, I'd wear it all the time come autumn and winter!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-07-30, 00:09

There's always been a rotating wide variety of stuff in the Company Store - hope this works the same way. The same stuff all the time would get pretty boring.
kaseyha

2005-07-30, 00:09

Yeah, I always thought it was kinda tacky pasting those white (and previously rainbow) stickers all over my clothes...
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2005-07-30, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyha
Yeah, I always thought it was kinda tacky pasting those white (and previously rainbow) stickers all over my clothes...
you mean it wasnt just me?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-07-30, 01:09

Smart move, and easy money for Apple. Also, essentially free marketing for the holiday season as well.
rasmits
rams it

2005-07-30, 01:17

I don't think I'd wear anything with an Apple logo, regardless of how much I like the computers. The white headphones and sticker on my car are enough.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-07-30, 01:36

Yeah, they have some cool stuff at the Company Store. When I was there, I got a keychain-mini-pen, a hat, and a thermos. If the stores started selling stuff too, I bet I'd get a ton. Especially more stuff for my keychain.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-30, 06:28

Yeah right, I need an Apple hoodie . OK not really, but a T-shirt might be good. Apple need all the advertsiing help they can get.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2005-07-30, 11:42

Apple fleece would be nice. And by nice, I mean I'd shell out $60 for one.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-07-30, 13:03

I wouldn't, one because they are starting to get more popular and it wouldn't be as special, and two because I wouldn't want to hear that I'm wearing an 'ipod hoodie'
Wrao
Yarp

2005-07-30, 13:08

Just for the record, I wouldn't wear any apple clothing. However, I wouldn't mind a nice mousepad.
kaseyha

2005-07-30, 13:17

The one piece of Apple clothing that I have is one of the Shop Different mock turles that Apple Store employees used to wear. When I bought my G4 Quicksilver @ 9:15 PM on the last day of the month the manager of the store was so happy because my purchase caused them to make goal for the first time since the store had opened, so he gave me a shirt. Kinda corny, but it was pretty cool at the time.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-07-30, 13:18

If I were given one for free I might think about wearing one, but not if I have to pay for it myself. Why should I pay to advertise for them? I never understood that one. It's really funny when people are very adamant about wearing something to advertise and hate it when it's pointed out that is what they are doing. I have yet to use my Apple Logo stickers I have gotten with my iPods and Mac Mini. I am really impressed with Apple (Mac specifically) but not enough to work for them for free.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kaseyha

2005-07-30, 13:33

I've always looked at it as similar to wearing a hat with my favorite team logo on it. Yeah, it is advertising, even pro sports teams need advertising, but it starts more interesting conversations with other people, usually conversations that I enjoy, so it can't be all bad.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-07-30, 13:37

Right, so here is what I want.

1. Apple logo bucket hat. But not a fruity one with ugly colors and/or broad, floppy brim. Just a masculine khaki/suede (tan or gray), with a black embroidered Apple logo on the front. The brim goes all around, but fairly short (1 inch), and pointing stiffly at a downward angle, not flopping all around.

2. Apple logo hoodie. Black with white apple logo on back (fairly large) and white embroidered "Apple" on side of chest, but off to the side. Large pocket in middle, with zippered iPod sub-pocket inside that. The iPod pocket also has a little hole on the inside of the hoodie, so you can snake the headphone cord up the inside of the hoodie.

3. Apple denim jacket. Dark blue denim, with white embroidered Apple logo and "Apple" under that on the side of the chest. Nothing on the back.

4. T-shirt that says "OS X" on the front, and a large "X" on the back.

All Apple clothing articles should say "designed by Apple in Cupertino, CA", on the tag, the same way as all the computers.

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2005-07-30 at 13:39.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-30, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
If I were given one for free I might think about wearing one, but not if I have to pay for it myself. Why should I pay to advertise for them? I never understood that one. It's really funny when people are very adamant about wearing something to advertise and hate it when it's pointed out that is what they are doing. I have yet to use my Apple Logo stickers I have gotten with my iPods and Mac Mini. I am really impressed with Apple (Mac specifically) but not enough to work for them for free.

Yes, it's so tough to pull on a shirt, or put a sticker on your car. Oooooh...the toil! The sweat! Lighten up. Jeez...

Maybe most of us don't think of as "advertising"...we just like folks knowing where we're coming from. I've met some good people and had some nice conversations started up when someone has seen my white sticker on my car, or saw me with that blue aqua gel "X" T-shirt I had a while back. I never consciously felt like I was shilling for The Man.

We're probably not thinking about it as deeply and far ahead as you, I guess.

Is it just Apple, or you have no clothing items or knickknacks with any logo or branding on them? No hats? No T-shirts with a band or record label or athletic gear mark? No beverage or music equipment? Anything? You're just a true blank slate?

If so, that's pretty amazing. At least you're consistent.

(you probably typed your post while wearing a 7-up trucker hat).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-07-30 at 14:13.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-07-30, 14:13

Yeah. I don't mind wearing shirts and stuff that say "American Eagle" (or any good brand), simply because they're nice clothes. It's not advertising any more than driving around in a car with a brand plate on the back is.

You ask me for a hamburger.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-30, 14:17

Exactly.

If I buy/use something, what do I care if I somehow play a role in promoting it a bit? Even if just for others into the same thing feel like "oh hey, another Mac user...cool".

Good, quality stuff or services that I use and admire (Apple, Gibson, etc.), I've got no problem with that at all.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-07-30, 21:48

There's no way I'd be able to buy a computer at an Apple store without getting an Apple mousepad.

Even a notebook.

I think this is a good move...I mean, I'd like an Apple hat or t-shirt.

Not because I want to pay for the priviledge of advertising for Apple (lighten up, turtle), but because my clothes express who I am...and Apple would be a pretty big aspect to ignore.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-07-31, 00:03

I have a few pieces of Apple stuff from the "camps" they hold during the summer at the stores. My brother was in one, and they gave him an Apple notebook, lanyard, keychain and name tag. I rescued them from the trash.

Last edited by Ryan : 2005-07-31 at 01:00.
shatteringglass

2005-07-31, 00:22

I'm pretty sure this wasn't Steve Jobs' idea to sell such products. Isn't he against Apple logo-branded products that isn't what the company is about? I seem to remember him demanding a booth at a Macworld SF be torn down because they were selling official Apple-branded iWatches, the result of a licensing deal Apple made with some watch company before Jobs came back to Apple.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-07-31, 01:57

Yeah, but with the coming of the Intel switch, and the populary of the iPod, just having more images of the company out there will really help push the neXt products in 2006.

That and, come on you know the iPod socks where testing the waters.
scrouds

2005-07-31, 08:30

you can keep the mouse pads, shirts and hats. but i would love a coffee travel mug.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-07-31, 09:09

Admit it pscates, you've been secretly wearing the iPod socks.
Hopefully not RHCP style

I've got a handful of Apple shirts, some black with the white logo (polo/golf style), some white with the black logo, a few "launch" black shirts with Panther or G5 stuff on front and/or back... guess you had to work on staff, with a reseller, or be at one of their events to get one... not for regular humans up til now.

And of course, Claruswear has been around for some time if you knew where to look.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2005-07-31 at 09:12.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-07-31, 12:45

Well maybe I do think too much into it. I can't say I don't wear anyone else's logo either. I own a business so it put things into my mind that most people may not even think about. Normally I am wearing t-shirts with a Christian message on them. When I'm in a "polo" and "kakis," I will say that I try to not have a logo unless it is something I market or related to my business. Suit and tie, same thing. Since I don't sell Apple products, I guess that would be why I wouldn't do it. Maybe I should lighten up, but please don't think I'm sitting at home waiting to burn gifts from family members if they don't fit some list. I just won't go buy something myself like that. Just my thoughts, I'm not against anyone else wearing logo's and such, as you said they can be great conversation starters.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
nomorewindows

2005-07-31, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrouds
you can keep the mouse pads, shirts and hats. but i would love a coffee travel mug.
Scrouds' travel mug and Atomicbartbean's bucket hat and hoodie. I'd also like to see a cloth version of the plastic Apple shopping bag, black of course, in that fabric they use for the soft top on the Porsche Carrera. The stuff is indestructible and looks great for years.

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other." Baltasar Gracian