User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

'Vertical' blog building


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
'Vertical' blog building
Thread Tools
Frank777
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
 
2018-02-12, 17:52

I'm not sure if "vertical" is the right qualifier, but I need to set up a media blog that uses the up-and-down navigation style traditionally used by tech blogs like Engadget and Gizmodo.

Anyone have any suggestions on a web host that can deliver on this? Does Wordpress do this?
  quote
PKIDelirium
Nobody bumps my lock
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Xenia, Ohio
 
2018-02-13, 05:12

There are Wordpress themes that can do that.
  quote
chucker
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near Bremen, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-02-13, 07:19

I feel like I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "up-and-down navigation style" — isn't that how all blogs tend to work? Do you mean 'infinite scrolling', i.e. fetching additional entries when you scroll down?
  quote
Frank777
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
 
2018-02-13, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I feel like I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "up-and-down navigation style" — isn't that how all blogs tend to work? Do you mean 'infinite scrolling', i.e. fetching additional entries when you scroll down?
Yes, Infinite Scrolling is a part of it (though the feature can be annoying at times.)

I was thinking the other day that a lot of the media sites I seem to enjoy lately have a more modern, cleaner look to them than a usual Wordpress site. Gizmodo/Jalopnik, Engadget, BlogTO, NewAtlas, The Verge etc. (Not all of those have IS, but you get my point.)

Just wondering what they use to build sites like those so I can pester my web guy.
  quote
chucker
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near Bremen, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-02-14, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Yes, Infinite Scrolling is a part of it (though the feature can be annoying at times.)
Indeed. It really turns me off on Quartz. I explicitly want to focus on one article, not “discover” how many more there are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I was thinking the other day that a lot of the media sites I seem to enjoy lately have a more modern, cleaner look to them than a usual Wordpress site. Gizmodo/Jalopnik, Engadget, BlogTO, NewAtlas, The Verge etc. (Not all of those have IS, but you get my point.)

Just wondering what they use to build sites like those so I can pester my web guy.
Right… Gizmodo Media Group (Jalopnik, The Onion, etc.) has its own proprietary CMS called Kinja, so that’s not an option — but you can look around for WordPress themes that imitate it.

More generally, you want to browse a little. Maybe this one strikes your fancy? https://templatic.com/wordpress-maga...emes/newstime/
  quote
Frank777
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
 
2018-02-14, 22:11

Thanks!
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple goes vertical? cosus Speculation and Rumors 22 2010-02-03 16:57
CSS Trouble With Vertical Alignment pmazer Programmer's Nook 3 2006-03-10 17:33
vertical scroll bar never goes away in iCal WrestleEwe Genius Bar 5 2006-02-18 11:58
Old VERTICAL long-screen Macs? What were they? thedustin General Discussion 23 2005-07-08 04:47
vertical red line on my laptop's lcd Axl Genius Bar 2 2004-09-06 13:53


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:06.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, AppleNova