AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

GameCube enthusiasts - what games?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
GameCube enthusiasts - what games?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-31, 01:29

I've had a GameCube for a while, and I'm looking for some new games to spice things up a bit. So far I have played these games:

Tiger Woods 2003
Eternal Darkness
Super Smash Melee
Zelda bonus disc (Ocarina + Majora)
Soul Calibur
Metroid Prime
Rogue Leader
Super Mario Sunshine
F-Zero GX
Viewtiful Joe

The first five I'm keeping, either because they're really fun with a lot of replay value, or because I haven't completed them yet. The last five I've sold because I either finished them or just couldn't finish them because I didn't like them enough.

So, any suggestions for me? GameCube owners, are there any real stand-out titles that are really fun and good for a long time? I tend to prefer the action genre, rather than adventure or strategy games (even though I happen to have gone through a lot of adventure games... they are fun sometimes, but I don't get as much out of them as many do). I'm particularly interested in Splinter Cell, Bond: Everything Or Nothing, True Crime: Streets of LA, and Need For Speed Underground. All of those look like pretty fun games. But I don't know a whole lot about them, or what else is out, so if anyone has other suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-31, 01:36

I really like Super monkey Ball 1 and 2 are both very good.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-07-31, 04:48

lol, i was about suggest the exact same two games. by far the best group games for any platform.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-07-31, 07:15

I acutally bought my GameCube so i could play metroid prime. Havent bought anything else since then. Every game I want I am getting on the Xbox since the xbox version is always better but I do not what GameCube exclusive games i should get.

I dont have time for RPG's. I usually like to pick up the joy pad and place once every now and then. Can anyone suggest something for me too?

thanks

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Mr Beardsley

Send a message via AIM to Mr Beardsley  
2004-07-31, 09:33

Add my vote for the monkey ball games. There's nothing like having four guys going crazy over a game of monkey fight.
Mass Appeal

2004-07-31, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I've had a GameCube for a while, and I'm looking for some new games to spice things up a bit.

LUCA: I can only assume you got the binus disk with Wind Waker but if not I'd suggest you pick up a copy. Streets of L.A. is a bad GTA3 knock off avoid it. DefJam Vendetta is decent. Beyond Good and Evil and the updated Resident Evil are solid games although I thought BG&E was too short. You seem to have already played the must have titles.

USURP: If you haven't played Crimson Skies for the X-Box do so. It's the perfect game if you don't want to read a manual and just start shooting planes out of the sky and saving the world from fascists.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-31, 14:25

Nope, I got my Zelda disc by buying a subscription to that godawful Nintendo Power magazine. Hey, it was either that ($20) or pay $35 for one on eBay. Anyway, the disc has a demo of Wind Waker and I have to say, I'm not impressed. It's not even the graphics that I don't like - a lot of people complained about the "kiddie" graphics but they're actually really good. My main complaint is the silly storyline that doesn't have anything to do with Hyrule or Princess Zelda or anything. That's why I got the bonus disc - Ocarina is widely regarded as the best of all the Zelda games (with the possible exception of Link To The Past), and I value a real storyline.

But then again, I have found that while I enjoy adventure games like that to a point, I get stuck fairly early on. Unlike many people, who would jump at the opportunity to run around a dungeon doing random things until something happens, I just get bored and put the controller down. So right now my Ocarina game is stopped fairly early on. I couldn't even begin to play Super Mario Sunshine, just hated that game, and Metroid Prime was fun but I got stuck and resorted to a walkthrough part way into it.

The problem is that adventure games seem to be the ones that are most likely to give you a lot of play time before they get old. I loved Rogue Leader but I had finished the whole thing, including unlocking EVERYTHING, within a couple weeks. Super Smash Brothers has had lasting value, but only when I have friends around who want to play. Then with F-Zero GX and Viewtiful Joe, I enjoyed them at first but I lost interest very quickly and ended up selling them within a couple weeks of buying them.

I read some reviews of Super Monkey Ball and it sounds really fun. I think I'll get that one. I also think Resident Evil might be fun - I enjoyed Eternal Darkness a lot, and doesn't RE have a similar "horror" theme? It was just too fun being scared shitless when I would hear footsteps while walking through an old abandoned mansion.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-07-31, 14:36

Well here are the games my friends and I return to on a weekly basis. Both of the Super Monkey Balls, Time Splitters (either version), and we have picked up the Resident Evil's again after beating them all a couple years ago. More personally, we play Time Splitters 2, it offers the "arcade" and "challenge" modes which are great one player action challenges. We also have been playing the title "XIII," in single player mode.

I hope these suggestions have been useful.

EDIT: ohh yeah, and just like you, this has happened after beating the hell outta rouge squadron series.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-31, 14:41

Well, I haven't played Rebel Strike. I just despise the idea of running around on the ground, especially when it's poorly executed. It would prevent me from getting golds, that's for sure. Maybe I'll just rent it sometime and use passcodes to unlock everything.

I tried the XIII demo on my PowerMac and while it runs smoothly (Radeon 9800 here), the game is a POS. No way I'd buy it. Maybe Time Splitters... what's that one like? Any good?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-31, 14:49

Animal Crossing
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-07-31, 14:58

We feel like its the next best shooter after Halo, and the best shooter Nintendo has produced since Goldeneye, easily. Give it a try, if only renting it.

My friends tried Animal Crossing and however interesting it might sound, they were disappointed, however I cannot provide 1st hand experience. I might say that it actually bought with my friends sister in mind tho, if that explains anything.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-07-31, 15:39

Prince of Persia is a really fun game. I'm also digging on Splinter Cell. I can't remember which one, but it's not Pandora's whatever, it's the other one.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-07-31, 15:53

Prince of Persia is awesome, but I wasn't aware that it was out on GC. I'll hafta get it.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-07-31, 16:44

Bomberman Generations is a much better party game than Super Monkey Ball, IMO. It has much more replay value.

My friend bought a N64 at a garage sale and it came with Pokemon Stadium. The mini games in that are stupid, but a riot. At one point my chest was hurting from laughing so hard.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-01, 15:21

Well, I went to Amazon and ended up ordering Super Monkey Ball 2, Time Splitters 2, and Resident Evil. They were all really cheap ($10-$15) so if I don't like one of them, it's no big loss.

It's kind of a rule of mine to never buy a game for more than $35. That's what I paid for Super Smash Melee, and it's been well worth it. I've probably spent more time on that game than on all my other ones combined.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-01, 15:36

NBA street is another one of my favorite games, I really like it, but I'm kind of hesitant to suggest it, since the Gamecube version is kind of weak(as much as I *love* the Gamecube controller, it's just not a very good controller for a game like Street)

That said, you might still have tons of fun with it.

Also, if you have a group of friends that like to play games, the Mario Party series is surprisingly awesome.

Bomberman generations *is* very awesome, damn, I had a lot of fun playing that at my brother's house, I had forgotten about it though

Sega Soccer Slam is another interesting title, I dunno, it's fun for a while, maybe a better rental.

I'm also a big fan of the Tony hawk Pro skater games. 3, 4 and THUG are on Gamecube. These games are funny because even though I'm ridiculously good at them, they are still fun to play.

Luca, Re: your disposition towards wind waker, true, wind waker isn't a hyrule based zelda, and I think this is a good thing, the gameplay is awesome, and there are some really interesting things in the ocean world. Nintendo is currently making The *true* sequel to Ocarina of time, Which will not be cel shaded, and which will take place in hyrule and be a good ol fashion zelda game.

I think this is a great strategy for nintendo, because it enables them to expand the franchise, having the adult link games be beautifully rendered, and the kid link games being cel shaded. plus, they've successfully(imo) created a new zelda universe.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-08-01, 16:35

Anyone ever heard of or played General Chaos?
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-08-02, 00:28

Luca the Nintendo Power Magazine crap is seriously the worst gaming magazine out there. The only reason i subscribed to it is back then they were giving away free GameBoy SP headphones which cost a bit less then the subscription elsewhere. Luckily though my subscription has finished and i never have too that crap ever again! I swear i was gonna email them right after i got my first issue and tell them to never send me another one again!

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
DEXTERITY

2004-08-03, 17:44

not sure if you guys are aware of release dates or not but here are some.

Also, the new handheld: The DS should be out in November it is bluetooth campatable, has a touch screen, voice recognition, lan and wi fi. also is backward compat with the GBA.

PIKMIN 2 - AUG. 30TH
DONKEY KONGA - 9/27
PAPER MARIO 2 - 10/11 - fun game
MEtroid Prime 2 - 11/15 - going to be sweet
Star Fox -11.29 - should be good

Resident Evil 4 which is exclusive to the cube got pushed to Jan or Feb I believe but is going to be worth the wait. And the new Zelda will be sometime in 05 which is going to be the best of them all.

If you don't happen to have mario kart by now, that game is so much fun.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-08-03, 21:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Anyway, the disc has a demo of Wind Waker and I have to say, I'm not impressed. It's not even the graphics that I don't like - a lot of people complained about the "kiddie" graphics but they're actually really good. My main complaint is the silly storyline that doesn't have anything to do with Hyrule or Princess Zelda or anything.
Luca, come on now. What on earth made you think Nintendo would give you the whole plot of the game in a DEMO? Do you really think Nintendo would simply abandon Hyrule and Princess Zelda? You probably know better than that. Get Wind Waker and play through it. It's great and it addresses your concerns.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-03, 21:16

Of course they wouldn't abandon the storyline, or reveal it in a demo. But I've read about it... apparently you're looking for your sister or something. And yeah, you fight Ganondorf. But from playing quite a bit of Ocarina, it sounds like Wind Waker's storyline just isn't nearly as immersive as Ocarina's. I think I'll wait for the new one to come out. Then I'll either buy it, or buy Wind Waker (which will then be $15).
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-03, 21:45

wind waker is really amazing, the world is so enormous and there is so much to do in each town. Way more ocarina for sure, and in that respect it's way more immersive, because there are so many 'little things'

The story line is a little bit different from classic zelda, but it's still pretty good, it takes a while to get really good though, and it has a pretty awesome twist at the end.

Finding your sister is only the first part of the story, it gets way more involved after that.

On top of that, the combat system is superb, it's really fun to fight monsters, and you actually fight like monsters. instead of the bugs and stuff you fought in ocarina. There is one part in the game that pits you up against about 40 burly guys with armor, swords, pikes..etc. and you have to take them all out(demonstrating the power of the master sword)

Luca, it sounds like you are the type of gamer that would benefit from a gamefly account. it's like netflix, but for games.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-08-04, 14:18

And to reiterate Luca, Wind Waker does have a good deal to do specifically with Hyrule and with Zelda. It's not just about finding your sister. Trust me and wrao, go get it.
autodata
hustlin

2004-08-04, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I really like Super monkey Ball 1 and 2 are both very good.
I'm not a fan of the normal part of the game, but the girl and I have turned the monkey target mini game in SMB 1 into a drinking game. It's really addictive (monkey target, that is).
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-04, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
I'm not a fan of the normal part of the game, but the girl and I have turned the monkey target mini game in SMB 1 into a drinking game. It's really addictive (monkey target, that is).
Yeah, the best part about both monkey ball games are the side games.
PhenixReborn

2004-08-05, 16:33

Monkey Balls are fun, especially the Super kind. Just ask Brad; I still haven't beat his Monkey Target high score on MY copy of SMB 1.

BTW, is SMB2 worth the price if you already have SMB1?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-05, 16:46

Hmm, I'm not quite sure. I can't answer that question too well because we've been hyped for getting monkey ball 2 since we played monkey ball one. However... we did buy it used, so on second hand I'm going to say probably not. Unless you really like the mini games it has some cool new ones. We also enjoy playing multiplayer in story mode.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-08-05, 17:12

the mini games in two are siginificantly improved over the mini games in one.

especially fight and target, which are the two we played the most. although bowling has a lot more options as well.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-05, 19:23

I'd say SMB2 is worth it, not only are there new courses for the old mini games, but there are new features, AND there are MORE mini games. like monkey soccer which is really neat.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-05, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenixReborn
Just ask Brad; I still haven't beat his Monkey Target high score on MY copy of SMB 1.

Oh, excuse me. What I meant to say was