Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Do those Scar Gels do anything?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Do those Scar Gels do anything?
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-09-30, 19:33

I took a nice chunk out of my shoulder about a month ago playing full contact roller hockey on a cement rink with no equipment (the pic below was taken about 24 hours after it happened).

Spoiler (click to toggle):

It scabbed over and then fell off (okay, I kind of helped this process along when in the shower...probably not the best idea to avoid a scar.) It left a giant patch of pink skin that I've been putting CVS Scar Gel on for the last two weeks and I'm pretty sure it isn't doing anything for it. Does anyone have experience with this stuff? The tube was $15 and it's almost gone. I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy a second tube.
ronmexico

2009-09-30, 20:13

Future Dr. Hockey,
Since you are going into the profession...There is a really cool technique that some plastic surgeons use to help esthetic zones heal. Have you ever heard of PRP (platelet rich plasma)? As a dentist I been using it for 3 years with some cosmetic gingival surgeries and bone surgeries and the healing/discomfort time and scar reduction have been really impressive. In fact, my orthopedic surgeon thought he was the first one in town using PRP. A few months ago he did an article in our local paper talking about how he is "introducing" it to our area...it made me laugh cause I have been doing it quite awhile...anyway...

To get PRP, you simply draw blood from the patient's arm, centrifuge the sample for 30 min (yes I have a centrifuge in my office), pipette the platelet layer from the mixture and there you have it. The high concentration of your platelets increase the growth factors in the wound that can dramatically effect healing. My coworker's son had a wound like yours on his face and we used some PRP to help, and it looked almost perfect in 4 weeks.

Anyway, it would be a bit excessive to do something like that right now with your arm but thought you would find this interesting. I would just use a little Polysporin and cover it with a bandage. I would avoid Triple Antibiotic ointment because a small percentage of people are allergic or develop an allergy to Neomycin. Obviously this can delay healing if your body doesn't like it. The scar stuff you use has weak antibiotic/antifungal action and some aloe that may help, but I would probably just stick with polysporin and time...
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-10-01, 08:12

That's pretty cool!
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-01, 08:51

Apparently, the scar gel is just a silicone gel that prevents bacteria from getting into the wound area. I don't think it will help you much once the scar is actually formed (or the skin has completely covered it over). Over time, I think the skin will thicken up and become more normal, but you will most likely have some permanent scarring. I don't think there's much to be done about it a month after the incident.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2009-10-01, 08:52

I'd just let it go, then brag about it and go around saying I got the scar playing hockey, but that's me.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-10-01, 17:12

Yeah, that was my first thought too. "Check out this manly scar" type thing. It's just that I'm accumulating scars at a pretty fast rate. I have a giant 6" scar atop my left wrist from surgery because of hockey, an inch long scar on my chin from taking a stick to the face, and various scars on my forearms from constantly wrestling my friends/roommates on short carpet. Guess I'll just add another to the bunch. This one would be the biggest though.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-10-02, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
Yeah, that was my first thought too. "Check out this manly scar" type thing. It's just that I'm accumulating scars at a pretty fast rate. I have a giant 6" scar atop my left wrist from surgery because of hockey, an inch long scar on my chin from taking a stick to the face, and various scars on my forearms from constantly wrestling my friends/roommates on short carpet. Guess I'll just add another to the bunch. This one would be the biggest though.
Scars are great because there are stories attached to them. Unless it were horribly unsightly I would opt to keep any scar. I have at least 7.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-02, 09:37

Do they have a "emotional scar gel"? That would sell like hotcakes!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-10-02, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Do they have a "emotional scar gel"? That would sell like hotcakes!
It's called whisky.