Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Joystick Chat

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Joystick Chat
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-10-02, 09:11

I haven't had a joystick since my old Nintendo Cube, but am interested in one for Minecraft. We've talked about this in past, the result being that there ARE no Mac joysticks... am I wrong?

Feel free to discuss your fave joystick here too. The Atari 2600 joystick is still my favorite

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-10-02, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I haven't had a joystick since my old Nintendo Cube, but am interested in one for Minecraft. We've talked about this in past, the result being that there ARE no Mac joysticks... am I wrong?
Are you talking about a joystick as in a big arcade-style thing, or just a regular game controller? People use the term different ways...

There are Mac game controllers — Sega made a Mac version of the best 2D controller ever, the original Sega Saturn pad — but I don't know of any Mac arcade sticks.

I'm not a big PC gamer, so I don't know: wouldn't PC game controllers just be plug-and-play, like PC keyboards and mice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
Feel free to discuss your fave joystick here too. The Atari 2600 joystick is still my favorite
If we're talking game controllers in general, DualShock 3. I also really like the Wii Classic Controller Pro. The Gamecube controller had some interesting ideas, and was ahead of its time in some ways (WaveBird!), but the "primary A button" concept didn't work for all games and the d-pad was absolutely worthless.

Worst controller of a "major" console goes to Nintendo 64, with an honorary mention to the original Xbox controller (which at least they sort-of-fixed). Worst controller of a minor console goes to Atari Jaguar (or Atari 5200, but lots of consoles had horrific controllers then).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-10-02, 10:11

I think, generally speaking, PC game controllers aren't very popular because the keyboard and mouse give the gamer a greater degree of control than a game pad would.

My favorite controller is the Xbox360 pad, it just fits my hands very well but I sometimes wish the sticks were at the same level, not offset. I liked the Dual Shock 3 for a little while but it really is too small for my hands, it makes me cramp, and the trigger buttons are all wrong... They don't feel like triggers more like... push buttons.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-10-02, 10:31

Thanks, I meant a game controller, not a giant joystick!

Dave
Ninja Editor

2011-10-02, 13:33

I've got yer giant joystick right here!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-10, 00:44

^Bump^

Is this Nintendo-style controller decent?

Does USB Overdrive still work well?

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2014-06-10, 13:22

Drew, I know several Twitch streamers who use that controller when they practice speed-running SNES games. The world's best SNES Mega Man gamer uses it.

Edit: Caleb also goes through them quite a bit, too. That's more due to the multiple hours spent abusing them to pull off what he does.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-12, 09:16

What do y'all think of these gaming mice?

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2014-06-12, 13:05

Personally I've never felt the need to drop tons of cash on a mouse. I've been playing games with pretty basic mice for a long time and they work just as well.

That's not to say I'd stick with a bad mouse, because there is certainly such thing. I've used some off-brand mice, usually small portable ones, that track poorly. But right now I use a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical from probably 10 years ago. If I were to buy a new one I'd probably just get this Logitech for $20 from Amazon. Don't see the point in spending $80 for a "gaming" mouse unless I'm a professional gamer or something.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2014-06-12, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Personally I've never felt the need to drop tons of cash on a mouse. I've been playing games with pretty basic mice for a long time and they work just as well.

That's not to say I'd stick with a bad mouse, because there is certainly such thing. I've used some off-brand mice, usually small portable ones, that track poorly. But right now I use a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical from probably 10 years ago. If I were to buy a new one I'd probably just get this Logitech for $20 from Amazon. Don't see the point in spending $80 for a "gaming" mouse unless I'm a professional gamer or something.
It's not only tracking... there are several programmable buttons on those mice as well. Depending on just how programmable those buttons are, a mouse like that might be useful for general productivity.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2014-06-12, 16:01

Quote:

All overkill for Minecraft.
¡Damned!

2014-06-12, 16:35

Seriously! I skip town for a month and everybody's talking about mics and strategy and joysticks and… wtf?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-12, 18:43

Quote:

You would be better off with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Seriously! I skip town for a month and everybody's talking about mics and strategy and joysticks and… wtf?

Wait until we start chatting with the TeamSpeak server.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-17, 12:28

Buncha haterz.

I'm going to Frys in a few days to scope out the gaming mice, this ensuring my early demise in BattleNova Season 2

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-17, 19:25

Have fun! Post back if you happen to buy something too.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-07-03, 12:21

Holy crap I bought one.

GUESS what it was.

First person to guess right may win a PiratePalooza shirt.