User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

There should be a NEW LOGO COMPETITION!!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
There should be a NEW LOGO COMPETITION!!!
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-06-05, 17:37

Since we're getting a new domain name, we need a new logo to splash across our pages. I reckon this would be a great project to open up to the membership! There must be loads of creative designer types here who would love that...

:smokey:

Entrants could submit their ideas into a "Work-in-Progress" thread and get feedback from the membership. Then they could submit their completed work to a "Final Designs" thread, from which a shortlist could be chosen by the Mods/Admins of the site. Lastly, a poll, like the one for a new domain name, could take place.

Ah, c'mon, that would be cool! Get creating people!

bouncy bouncy
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-05, 17:45

Actually, I think our designs should stay the same. AppleInsider.com should come up with different logos since the ones they currently use are Brad's property.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2004-06-05, 17:49

It might be better to get the new name first.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-06-05, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Actually, I think our designs should stay the same.
Nach, colours and icons staying the same - yes. But the bar at the top of the page staying the same - I don't think so. First of all it says "appleinsider" and secondly it screams .com. The circles have to go and the new name must have a new font, new styling etc.

With the domain name change we have decided to break from .com so a new logo is definitely in order too.

:smokey:

bouncy bouncy
Spart

2004-06-09, 11:09

I also think that the design of the site needs to be rethought. But before we have a logo of sorts, we do need a name. Design should always depend upon need, though. How complex is the site going to be? We don't need an over-designed massively complex header-thing on top of every page.

Maybe we should just start with a color and font scheme.
¡Damned!

2004-06-09, 11:32

Hey, Spart! I'm happy to finally see your friendly mug around here.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-06-09, 16:29

The folks that started this site already thought about all of the content the site would contain before they began working on and implementing the design. I do this kind of thing for a living :smokey:

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-06-09, 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash
The folks that started this site already thought about all of the content the site would contain before they began working on and implementing the design. I do this kind of thing for a living :smokey:
Sop, like any clues about what you're gonna do?
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-06-26, 01:23

If anyone wanted to revive of the idea of sending us logo suggestions, we wouldn't hate it Build one before me and win a prize
Spart

2004-06-30, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Hey, Spart! I'm happy to finally see your friendly mug around here.
I was on a web hiatus of sorts back when La Revolucion happened. But I come here pretty much every day now, and occasionally to .com.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-06-30, 18:17

I think we should work on a Favicon first. I cannot stand the yellow-with-blue-V default vBulletin icon. In addition, the MacNN Forum uses exactly the same ugly-ass default icon.

I actually think AppleNova looks great without a logo. Of course, that shouldn't hold back anybody's creative juices.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Spart

2004-07-07, 22:07

Well, since no one probably reads the smilies thread except Paul, I thought I'd place the logo I made here so someone else might actually see it.

I like the header the way it is, I just thought we needed a good graphical representation of "AppleNova", that could be used in place of words.

Anyway, this is just an idea of what I want to make. When I get my Photoshop running better, I might have something a little tighter looking. I was going to have the Apple off to the left side of the text, but LoCash suggested I incorporate it into the text somehow. Anyway:

Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-08, 07:58

Looks great, Spart. I think the supernova apple logo might make a good favicon too.

When you rework the logo, you should try to make the contours of the apple more visible. Right now, the white supernova on the black apple blends into the black background too much. Maybe a dark supernova on a white apple could work better? Of course, a dark supernova would look more like a black hole than an exploding star. But what the heck, I'm just brainstorming.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Spart

2004-07-08, 13:33

Yeah, that was my issue with it. The Apple isn't very clearly defined. I really need to get my Photoshop running right again. It's just a matter of me being lazy...

I've also had thoughts of putting that the apple I made in the background, behind the text. At higher resolutions, it's much more defined.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-07-08, 14:23

Spart: We all look forward to your upcoming work product!

Escher