Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Hot drinks

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Hot drinks
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-13, 03:13

I know we've done Vietnamese coffees before but it strikes me I like a lot of hot drinks, it's a mood and personal choice thing, what's good one day just doesn't cut it another. Is there something you drink at a certain time of day / when you're feeling a certain way? Here's my list -

Tea - English Breakfast, a good strong pot, good for any time of day but particuarly when times are hard - difficult clients, lazy team, even when relatives pass away. Strengthens the resolve and constitution. Helps you think. (this stuff should be FDA approved). Good bags best but occasionally loose tea.

Espresso (single or double) - always only after a meal and always to clean palette not to give caffeine shot. Never in the morning.

Latte / Cafe au Lait - your relaxing, anytime-of-day coffee (it's a shame Starbucks don't appear to put any coffee in theirs). Always outside in a cafe - never quite tastes as good at home.

Earl Gray - sparingly and always in afternoons not mornings, probably in cafes not at home - Begamot is in fact quite a strange taste. Either with milk or lemon (I know, purists wouldn't agree)

Ordinary ground coffee (Kenyan / Colombian, not too agressive) - filter paper, not a cafetiere - filter paper makes it taste better - your standard coffee, good at any time of day, but not as flexible as tea, not too many cups.

Camomile tea - good for hangovers to calm stomach. Boring otherwise.

Peppermint tea - strong, evenings, to clear the mind for sleep.

Spearmint tea - substitute if you get bored with peppermint but not quite as intense.

Cafe Noisette - espresso with shot of hot milk. Pavement cafes, preferably somewhere with a good reputation for coffee - Paris, Vienna. Not London. Read a newspaper at same time and watch life pass by.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-07-13, 03:23

Mostly I drink plain old tea. I don't like it too dark with a healthy slug of milk. Sometimes I'll have 10 cups a day, sometimes I'll have none!

Also I have a box of orange green tea which is nice for a change. Also seems quite good for the hangovers.

And our local bar does a really nice white coffee. Nothing fancy, I think its out of a machine, but it hits the spot after some nice grub or if you don't feel like boozing.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-07-13, 03:26

I love tea. Other than that, I like having the occasional hot chocolate. Cider in the winter is great also.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-13, 03:29

Perfect timing with this thread. I just started boiling water to make myself a cup of green tea. Gotta keep myself awake for a few more hours to finish some work.

In the winter is when I especially some hot chocolate or hot cider like sunrain mentioned. Of the hot teas, though, I'm mostly just a fan of green and earl gray. I don't like chamomile. I abhor coffee.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Unch

2005-07-13, 03:35

I've never been a fan of hot drinks for some odd reason. I'd rather a glass of (filtered) water, some OJ or a soft drink (or a beer).

Er, sunrain you drink hot cider in the winter? That seems odd. To me Cider is something to be enjoyed cold on a hot summers day.

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-07-13, 03:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unch
Er, sunrain you drink hot cider in the winter? That seems odd. To me Cider is something to be enjoyed cold on a hot summers day.
Hot cider is a pretty common winter drink in the States. Usually it's apple spiced cider, although I like apricot cider also.

I like cold cider too, but this is a *hot* drinks thread.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-07-13, 03:59

After reading this I popped off to make Tea number 1 of the day - which I made the same way I always make tea. Thusly:-

Tea-bag + 1 sugar + milk in the bottom of the mug, then hot water on top!

When people see me making tea this way they all go "eee" you can put milk in the mug before the water. However, in my defense, when they drink the tea - they mostly like it.

I see it as a consistent way to make tea as I put almost exactly the same amount of milk in each time (I fill to a certain level on the spoon) then leave the tea-bag in till its the colour I like!

How do you make yours?

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Hassan i Sabbah

2005-07-13, 04:46

I am a total teahead. I got into über gourmet teas through my ex-girlfriend and always have four different kinds on the go at the same time in a sealed tin. I get them from this guy at Borough Market in London Bridge. He's like some tea scientist, surrounded by jars and steam.

My special, special favourite's a Korean tea called Nokcha, which tastes like... sort of caramel and spun gold, really. I can drink it all day. I also have some Kukichoja (Japanese, roast twigs, tastes like biscuits, low in caffeine), some Jasmine tea from China (apparently pressed between twice its weight in jasmine flowers) and some Fujian Green Points from China which is supposed to taste like asparagus. I drink it so I don't use up all my Nokcha in four days!

Once you taste this stuff there's no going back to plain old tea, not for me anyways. Although I do love Earl Grey.

Oh, I also quite like rooibos, a caffeine-free tea made from a bush that grows in the Cedarberg mountains of South Africa. You can get this stuff anywhere. And maté from Brazil or Argentina, which is refreshing and stacked with weird South American stimulants.

But I love my Eastern teas most of all.

gibberish

Last edited by Hassan i Sabbah : 2005-07-13 at 04:49.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-07-13, 05:19

Tea is easily my favourite hot drink.

My usual tea is preferably high-grown Ceylon tea, preferably single source, preferably fair trade (all of which can be reduced to just "Ceylonese" if I'm desperate), brewed very strong with enough milk to wipe out the astringency. Dilmah is currently my brand… it's surprisingly good for such a cheap tea.

When I'm feeling wanky, I'm very fond of Assam teas, especially the lighter ones. Lapsang Souchong, Jasmine and Oolong also make appearances on my tea-drinking schedule from time to time. All black.

Unfortunately, cafe tea usually tastes like dishwater, so I drink coffee… usually a flat white, sometimes an espresso, if it's a cafe which actually serves something palatable.

When I'm desperate to get my caffeine count down, I also occasionally drink Ecco, a not-to-bad-at-all coffee substitute.

Finally, an mug of soy milk with Actavite or malt syrup before bed-time is often pleasant.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-07-13, 06:03

I like really strong PG Tips or Tetley tea, one sugar, lots of milk. I have an uncomplicated palette when it comes to tea!

Coffee, on the other hand, I like Columbian fairtrade, made in my pride and joy coffee machine. Milk, no sugar. instant coffee is truly the work of the devil.

At my work we have a habit of calling all herbal teas "Lesbian tea" or "Dungaree Tea". This is less offensive than you think, and the name is fully adopted and used by the lesbians... (Of which there are a few, we are an arts organisation!) All herbal teas just taste like water to me. Smell good, but taste like shite.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-07-13, 06:36

Sometimes my ether gets warm sitting in the back of my car before I inhale, does that count?

I have to say that I am not a big warm drink person, I will make mixed tea (nestea sugar powder + water) and then warm that in the microwave, but that is normally all I do. I do occasionally drink cappuccino or hot chocolate but I'm not a big fan. I used to drink hot chocolate every morning when I was younger and then dip my buttered bread in it. That however doesn't sound as delicious today as it did then, although I also used to pack a ketchup and cheese sandwich for myself everyday too

(bread + ketchup + cheese)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-13, 06:44

No hot drinks for me. Ever.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-07-13, 06:49

For some reason I almost always prefer cold drinks to hot ones. This is especially true of coffee... I just hate hot coffee, but cold coffee is great. I think it's because the coldness takes away the bitter edge. I'm very sensitive to bitterness and I can't stand any amount of it.

I used to dislike tea because it seemed totally tasteless to me. Well, not completely, but close. I always told people it tasted like someone took a bunch of sticks and leaves and just boiled them. When they reply "of course" I'd say "well that's why I don't like it." But recently I gave it another shot when I was in a Chinese restaurant. They had oolong tea out so I took a cup and liked it. But for me it's more of something to do to kill time while you wait for your food, and not really much of a drink in itself. And it has to be really hot.

Generally I'm not a fan of tea or hot coffee though. It's a shame because I love the flavor of coffee, but usually only in iced coffee, coffee ice cream, mixed in with hot cocoa, etc.
elvia

2005-07-13, 10:27

Its definitely coffee for me. I keep 5 or 6 different coffee's available at all times. French Market blend with chicory is our favorite. Also Cuban beans are great for cuppachiano. (bad spelling). I usually have three or four mugs a day. I lived in Cambridge England for a couple of years and did take a liking for a couple of different teas also. Another time was when I worked on a exploratory drill ship in the Med. Its crew were British. So, they took tea breaks all the time.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-07-13, 10:32

Coffee and tea. I'm a total tea granny. Plain tastes though, just regular old Tetley or Red Rose (orange pekoe) for me. Green tea is terrible.

I like having coffee with Kahlua, or Bailey's, or Spanish coffee... there are a few others I've had. It's a great vehicle for boozing.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-07-13, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Tea-bag + 1 sugar + milk in the bottom of the mug, then hot water on top!
Doesn't the milk stop the tea from brewing properly in the bag?

I like a pot - 2 tea bags then hot water. Served in a mug - girls seem to like a cup and saucer but it doesn't do it for me.
geneman

Send a message via AIM to geneman  
2005-07-13, 11:23

Coffee is the thing, couldn't do without it. I no longer feel the caffeine rush, but I absolutely love the taste, started buying a few special coffees online and (unfortunately for my economy) I took a liking to it, favorites are mocca java and Peruvian organic, mmmm
At restaurants I like to finish a good meal with a cognac/whiskey and a coffee - beats any desert for me (but also good in combination, if in the mood)

Last edited by geneman : 2005-07-13 at 11:24. Reason: typo
Unch

2005-07-13, 12:13

My landlord came over earlier to fix the blind in the bedroom. It was like a billion degrees up there because the window had to be shut, so I went up and offered to get him a drink, thinking he'd want a glass of water or something, but no the guy wanted a cup of tea!

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-07-13, 12:45

Mmmm... coffee, espresso (doppio, please), latte, hot cider, chai, chaider (chai + cider - it's phenomenal), black tea, green tea, white tea, herbal tea, yerba maté, roobois, mulled wine, American cocoa, Viennese cocoa, Mexican cocoa, ... I guess I'll drink pretty much anything.

For beans I order from Caffe Vita in Seattle. I'm way across the country, and while there are a couple of very good local roasteries, Caffe Vita still wins, and the price is about $1 more per lb after shipping.

I have a friend who runs The Teacup, also in Seattle, and she's just this insane tea witch. If it's tea, she knows about it. If she doesn't have it, she can get it. Every so often I'll get a small package in the mail with a note "Try this one, let me know what you think." I've yet to get one I haven't loved.
bb823

Send a message via AIM to bb823  
2005-07-13, 12:51

I'm a big hot-chocolate fan in the winter. I had a friend who had me try putting a scoop of vanilla ice cream in hot chocolate instead of marshmellows. It was really good. Also, I lived in Brazil for a while and they do all their hot chocolate with milk. None of this Swiss Miss in water stuff. I haven't done water since....
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-07-13, 13:04

Yeah milk is the best.

Milk should also be used for oatmeal too.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-07-13, 13:22

Green tea with Peach flavoring: every morning. One lump of sugar, no milk.

Coffee: When I'm expecting a long day.

Chai tea: once in a while.

I like Dr. Pepper in my tea.

You ask me for a hamburger.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-07-13, 16:06

Hot mead in the winter can't be beat.
flail

2005-07-13, 17:14

Oh I love tea. Any kind... well mostly flavorful black teas. I like a good english breakfast tea. Coffee, I can drink drip but I'd prefer espresso. I wouldn't say I'm addicted but... It sure helps I like lots of kind of espresso drinks. Last one I tried was a grande toffee nut latte, extra-hot, 1/2 breve. Yum.
Amadeus

2005-07-13, 19:11

I love my hot Starbucks coffee year around. No cream or sugar. Occasionally I like a Frappachino in the winter.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2005-07-14, 08:17

Black coffee for me

Actually this thread made me want some...