User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple: Best Computers; Bastard Company

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple: Best Computers; Bastard Company
Cyanine

2005-08-31, 09:02

I am extremely happy with my emac, I chose apple because I used them at collage and was astounded by the quality and the fact that the six year old iBook rarely crashed or had kernel panic (about twice in a full year).
I bought an eMac G4- exellent computer. Today I am not so pleased with Apple as a company, I found out that they sacked 450 people in Cork in Ireland in 1999 and sook cheaper labour by conracting out to Lucky Goldstar of Korea which did atleast produce in Wales at the time. Now after 2000 they stopped the contract with LG and nearly all of their computers are made in Asia and Eastern Europe.

The computers are the best in the world-Yes, but you pay for it. The amount we pay for apple computers is a lot more than you would for a wintel PC, they can't say this is down to cost anymore it is pure profit- they use cheap labour in Asia and Czech Republic (where the eMacs are made).
Unless they revert to employing more people in Ireland or UK i will never buy another Mac. (especially if the intel rumour is true)

My rant over please give your comments.

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-08-31, 09:10

1. Double posting not a good way to make your first impression.

2. Encouraging people to start new threads as a method of commenting is an even worse way to make your first impression.

3. If you're going to whine about prices, come up with a better argument.

4. Do you live under a bridge and terrorize the forest?

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-08-31, 09:13

Let me guess, couldn't figure out how to edit your message so you created a new thread to try to get people to start a whole bunch of new threads. I see we are dealing with the top of the food chain here!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-31, 09:27

Hmmm..yes welcome to AppleNova. I might be wrong, but I suspect your threat to boycott Apple products may not persuade Apple to shift production back - we shall have to see.

If you want more details on these things, please feel free to do a Google search (for, say, "capitalism" or perhaps Adam's Smith's invisible hand.) You might also want to consider blacklisting companies such as Dell who are really much better than Apple at managing their cost base in this way.

BTW, re the Intel rumour , I personally called Jobs this morning and although he doesn't want to confirm the rumour at this stage, he did tell me that they will almost certainly shift to Intel.

mattf

2005-08-31, 09:27

What was it Gargoyle posted earlier?

Ah yes clicky

However, despite this, I'm in a feeding mood. Your comment about Apple reverting to employing more people in Ireland and UK is asinine, Cyanine. Ignoring the main point about Apple not even being a UK / Irish company, we live in a global economy now. If workers in the developed world won't accept the levels of pay that workers in developing countries will, we'll have to find ways of providing value for money. That means using our expertise in other fields (Development, Research, Design, Marketing, whatever).

All views my own, yadda, yadda, yadda

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-08-31, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
BTW, re the Intel rumour , I personally called Jobs this morning and although he doesn't want to confirm the rumour at this stage, he did tell me that they will almost certainly shift to Intel.
I'm having coffee with Steve this afternoon. I'll see if I can get anything more definite out of him.

Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-31, 09:48

Oh, we're being a bit mischievous .

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-08-31, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
Oh, we're being a bit mischievous .
Isn't that standard protocol around here? At least while waiting for pointless threads to die/get locked?

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-08-31, 09:58

I thought protocol called for being outright bastards in cases like this - was there a memo I didn't get again?

Swing

2005-08-31, 09:59

A complaint about loss of jobs in Ireland? I know of many outsourcing projects that have gone to Ireland because of its relatively inexpensive labor and high quality programmers. And not only Adam Smith but David Ricardo is apropos; Ricardo came up with a theory called comparative advantage.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-08-31, 10:09

Yeah, I have to admit it would be amusing if not so hypocritical:

"Outsourcing is *GREAT*! We can do it cheaper! Send us your jobs! Yaaaaaaay!"

"What's that? Someone else can do it cheaper *yet*? Uh, well... Wait, you're sending our jobs *there*? You can't do that! Outsourcing is evil! You BASTARDS!"

Remember boys and girls, anything is good if *you* benefit.

mattf

2005-08-31, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing
A complaint about loss of jobs in Ireland? I know of many outsourcing projects that have gone to Ireland because of its relatively inexpensive labor and high quality programmers.
Wouldn't that be labour in Ireland

Actually, I always thought that it wasn't so much the inexpensive labour, as the massive grants that the Irish government doled out to High Tech companies in exchange for them setting up there. I could be wrong of course.

Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-31, 10:27

Ireland is actually much more expensive now - and much more so than when Dell, Apple and Microsoft originally went there. I've done a number of Irish transactions in the past and it's much harder now to persuade businesses to set up there.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing
Ricardo came up with a theory called comparative advantage.
The golf is still comparatively better in Ireland than in China though.

Last edited by Franz Josef : 2005-08-31 at 10:28.

Swing

2005-08-31, 10:49

mattf, 'Labour'? Right, I suppose you are correct. I need to modify my behaviour. Jeesh, I already have enough problems with French . . .

Franz Josef, it is pretty amazing how fast the outsourcing game plays out. Also, listening to an Irishwoman sing limericks in a bar while drinking Scotch or Guinesss is not something easy to experience in China . . .

mattf

2005-08-31, 10:54

Swing, I'm sorry. I didn't notice your location. I like to play with the North Americans. It's my little bit of fun correcting all of their misspellings

Ah, listening to Irish women do .... well, pretty much anything, really .... is an experience every straight man should have at least once.....

Shit, hope my (Scottish) girlfriend doesn't find this board!

spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2005-08-31, 11:15

I would like Apple to start making computers in my home town. Thanks.

Swing

2005-08-31, 11:25

mattf, no you were right. And modifying my behaviour down here, being as I am a Yankee, is someting to which I am accustomed, or is it s'accoutumer? Beats me.

spotcatbug, just drop a friendly line to a poster or two above, as they it seems they have a direct line to Steve.

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-08-31, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
I thought protocol called for being outright bastards in cases like this - was there a memo I didn't get again?
I promise to put the new cover sheets on my TPS reports.

Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-08-31, 12:33

Taipei or Bangalore or Cork, what's the difference? Why should I care about the factory location as long as I know my computer is lovingly crafted by genuine child labor.

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-08-31, 12:43

their tiny hands are essential, because of all those tiny parts!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-08-31, 14:01

You guys are such a bunch of lying bastards! What a crock. Never been in a forum with so many liers and stupid discussion. This thread is beyond pointless and I demand it be locked now!!!!

As for all the claims of dining with Jobs and such, you guys are full of BS! I know this because he is here in our store, right now, giving a discussion on the ideals of selling shit and making money off the thing!

You should check it out. Novel concept!

IBL

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2005-08-31 at 14:04. Reason: So heated, couldn't spell!

¡Damned!

2005-08-31, 14:10

Step 1: Register.
Step 2: Post bullshit (in multiple locations if at all possible).
Step 3: Never return.

IBL indeed.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-08-31, 14:20

It just occurred to me that my previous post was number 666. This thread shall therefore be referred to as the thread of Satan's Revenge, and I would greatly appreciate it if, considering it has lost all meaning anyway, a Mod would graciously rename it as such.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-08-31, 14:37