AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

(un)Happy Chinese New Year

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
(un)Happy Chinese New Year
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-01-12, 09:01

hey hey hey kids.....
it's that wonderfur time of year when.....

arr your MWSF orders get derayed because of the the Chinese New Year.... don't expect anything to ship on time for the entire next month or so......

trust me on this.... i rive here.... rots of things arready don't work here, but next month nothing wirr

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-01-12, 09:06

Bugger. I don't live in China, but I do live in Chinatown, and New Year equals lots of random and unexplained road closures. And fireworks at night.

Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-01-12, 10:31

ror, asian peopre can't say the retter r. You so funny intrprby!

There's a significant delay between manufacturing and shipping. Even if manufacturing slows down during Chinese New Years, I'm sure Apple factors that into your shipping times and in general your Mac won't be shipped to you direct from China.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.

Edna Crabtree

2006-01-12, 10:57

Agree with Barto. What's with the juvenile uncalled-for, unfunny slurs?

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-01-12, 12:31

intlplby, I find your constant racism and negativity about the Chinese quite offensive. You're not clever and you're not funny: you're just another hopelessly lost expat missing The United States Of America. Please give it a rest.

Last edited by Dorian Gray : 2006-01-12 at 12:49.

AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-01-12, 12:42

Actually, in Korea, it's curious to note that a lot of the confusion comes not from being unable to pronounce the letter "L" but the fact that the character for "L" and "R" is the same (L or R = ㄹ). I think it's the same for Japanese too but I'm not sure.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-01-12, 12:45

I'm not so sensitive as to call this sort of thing "racist and offensive," but I will say that it's in poor taste and not really that funny.

AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-01-12, 12:49

Oh also, the only word I can think of in Korean that starts with an "R" sound is Ramen which (if I am correct) is a loan word from Japanese anyway. So it's understandable why Korean's might misplace "L" and "R" because the character's sound is usually dependant on it's position within a word or glyph.

intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-01-12, 17:47

i'm not even north american.... but live here and you will make the same comments.... the r/l thing isn't even chinese, it's the japanese who do it more...... jeez, when did you north american's lose the sense of humor..... it's actually quite sad really....

anyways... no shit doesn't work here, and even the chinese themselves make the same comments about things here too..... shit doesn't work here not because it's china, but because of the mindset communism and the lifestyle that was imposed between 49-79........ older chinese and chinese from hk and tw are tend to be far more common sensical..... so it's not racism it's shit government.........

those that are older are actually quite level headed... those who have been through the school system since 89 are on average quite indoctrinated..... until you've lived here don't claim that i am being racist... this attitude is fairly universal among expats from all countries....AND chinese who have had the luxury to live abroad

call it culture if you want, but i have been lied to by my co-workers and bosses more here than anywhere else, and this is the fourth country i have lived in..... a PRC contract is a contradiction in terms......you simply have no idea what happens here.....

from my comments you'd think i hate it here but i don't... i actually quite enjoy it, despite the constant frustrations... that's part of the charm..... it's kind of like being the underground man from Notes from the Underground (china is my toothache)........food is good... people are pleasant and friendly, but if given the choice to live here or live here and do business here, i would only live here......

dorian gray- it's not racism.... it's PRCism..... taiwanese are good folk, despite the fact that the taiwanese don't exist as there own country here.

btw... who is to say what is poor taste and what isn't? don't impose your moral superiority on me.....

back to the topic on hand..... no... nothing will function from Jan 29th to Feb 16th..........

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-01-12, 17:59

People, just settle down. Racism is funny, except when it isn't. I usually laugh at "racist" jokes (which are usually just jokes that poke fun at stereotypes and those who propogate them), but when I don't find the joke funny, something about that bothers me.

I mean, I laughed my ass off at the South Park episode with the City Wok guy.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-01-12, 18:02

Sorry, you failed the funny test.

My funny test.

this thread is LOCKED!