AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance
Page 1 of 21 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-26, 17:43

Let's try mc.applenova.com one more time now.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-03-26, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Let's try mc.applenova.com one more time now.
Does this mean some of the work done on Applenova.com today was invalidated?

Nope, everything was accounted for.

Last edited by Elysium : 2011-03-26 at 22:48.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-26, 22:41

No, Brad took a snapshot from the server before anyone else could change stuff and moved it. 709 was the only one playing on the AN proper server at the time. Once we got Lenny running Brad moved it. What you had when you last logged in is there and work where it was when you left.

So that being said after getting royally shafted by our last host I got the message from my awesome wife that we should get the benefit rather than pay someone $60 a month. So since I already had a great Dell R300 server for my home, I present you Lenny the host of our MC game server:

Click for bigger crappy iPhone pic

Yeah, he's sitting on my utility room fridge. The router on the top left is the firewall/router for my home now. Nevermind that crappy Verizon modem, it's never been used but the tech said I had to have it so there it sits unplugged and not connected to anything. Behind the monitor are some TM backup drives. The UPS on Lenny is 1500V and currently shows a 64 minute run time for Lenny. There's a gigabit switch and a Time Capsule on the shelf with a Vonage phone adapter on the wall.

The power strip is so I can reset my TC and HDDs with the flip of the switch or unplug individual units. My router is providing QoS so that my phone adapter gets first priority followed by Lenny and then the switch the branches out for the rest of the house. Phone adapter is only rated to take about 128kb max.

This means that that it's all coming out of my home and things are running great. I have 25Mb/25Mb FiOS and it's holding steady. A few of us have been playing and there's been no lag and no issues that I'm aware of. CPU load and capacity are good! Yeah! I love having a supportive wife.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-03-27, 02:20

go turtles go!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-28, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Those Grey and Blue cables that go across the screen are killing me.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-03-28, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Don't let Robo see them, his head would likely explode.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-29, 00:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Yeah, I'm making it pretty now.

Actually, last night I added an UPS for the router and FiOS ONT as well as replaced those cables. I added a KVM and my Mini Media server to the shelves too. So I'll post an updated pick in the next day or so. It's looking better, though there are still tons of wires up there!

Nice pics guys. Thanks for sharing those.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2011-03-31, 11:41

Shitfuck. Don't update your client until the server software is updated! Learn from my mistakes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-31, 12:19

Yep.
Quote:
Minecraft Beta 1.4

* Added tameable wolves
* Added cookies
* Sleeping in a bed now resets your spawn position
* New Minecraft logo
* Holding shift while climbing will hang on to the ladder
* Spiders will no longer trample crops
* Lots and lots of infrastructure for Statistics lists and Achievements
I'll update the server later tonight.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-31, 16:04

Well, I'm looking to get a new CPU to beef this thing up. Looks like the cost is about $200 for a good 3.3GHz Xeon to go in this server. Interestingly enough, it's an odd socket, LGA771 rather than LGA775.

Just one way to make the chips and support products cost more for commercial products. Since RAM is good on this system but the CPU is the bottleneck it's what I'm going to focus on getting beefed up.

I don't know when I'm going to be able to do this update though because I've just quit my job. On the flip side I will be starting a new one, but am going to be taking some time off in between. So I don't know how fast I'll get the cash together to get the chip. It is in my plans though.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-31, 22:00

So for those wondering, I'm looking at this dual core Xeon.

Sure it's only a dual, but the 3.3GHz on a single core is likely better that 2.33GHz on a quad for the pice. That is since MineCraft only uses one core right now. Down the line it seems like this would be a better fit anyway for the price and since Lenny is pretty much gonna stay and MC server for the foreseeable future. Would you agree that the higher clock rate would serve better than the quad core?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-01, 00:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So for those wondering, I'm looking at this dual core Xeon.

Sure it's only a dual, but the 3.3GHz on a single core is likely better that 2.33GHz on a quad for the pice. That is since MineCraft only uses one core right now. Down the line it seems like this would be a better fit anyway for the price and since Lenny is pretty much gonna stay and MC server for the foreseeable future. Would you agree that the higher clock rate would serve better than the quad core?
Good call. Minecraft would definitely benefit more from a faster clock versus more cores.

Tonight I've restarted the server with a few arguments to change some of the JVM's default behaviors. I'm also considering installing one of the prerelease Java 7 builds since Java 7 reportedly has significant performance optimizations over Java 6 in some core bits like string, array, and arithmetical operations.

I still wouldn't purchase the new CPU just yet. Let's give these options (and maybe Java 7) a try over the weekend first before dropping some cash.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-01, 00:16

Ok, I can wait.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-01, 15:30

Your edits last night really seem to be helping the server Brad. Makes holding off on upgrade much easier. Thanks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-01, 19:47

Uh, turtle? Everything ok over there? I can't get to the server, even via SSH.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-01, 19:51

It should be up....

My router had to reboot earlier and it ended up getting a new IP but DynDNS updated. Can you not get in still?

Edit: Figured out the issue. Seems when my router rebooted earlier it was assigned a new IP address. DynDNS to the rescue right....nope. Seems it only updated one of my hostnames. This prevented anyone from getting the update. Sorry about that. I've fixed the glitch and this won't be a problem again.

Last edited by turtle : 2011-04-01 at 20:10.
¡Damned!

2011-04-01, 19:55

Connection times out for me too.

[edit]: There we go.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-01, 19:59

Crisis averted!
¡Damned!

2011-04-01, 20:16

Tripping on the power cord again?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-01, 20:26

Well, we've established that Turtle needs to work on his cable management...
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-06, 12:34

turtle,

I have some money floating around that I would like to send towards the processor upgrade. Consider it a gift for providing such an awesome server/service.

Let me know where to send it...

Bruce
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-06, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
turtle,

I have some money floating around that I would like to send towards the processor upgrade. Consider it a gift for providing such an awesome server/service.

Let me know where to send it...

Bruce
PM sent.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-06, 16:03

Hey all,

I have just made a donation towards a new processor for the server at Turtle's donation site (this link was provided by turtle: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=XYAUF9YE45BPC ) of $30.

In the spirit of contributing towards the processor, I will match further donations by others up to an additional $30, if needed to cover costs.

Bruce
¡Damned!

2011-04-06, 16:19

In for $30 as well.

I wouldn't have the remotest clue as to how much a processor is since I've never delved into that sort of thing. What are we looking at as far as cost?

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-06, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
In for $30 as well.

I wouldn't have the remotest clue as to how much a processor is since I've never delved into that sort of thing. What are we looking at as far as cost?
The one Turtle has his eyes set on is ~180...
¡Damned!

2011-04-06, 16:43

Oh. That's not bad at all.

This will cut down on the lag I presume?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-06, 16:45

$30 in the pot from me. Actually CAD$29.56. Hooray for strong Canadian dollar!
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-06, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Oh. That's not bad at all.

This will cut down on the lag I presume?
It *should*...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-06, 20:31

Guys, thank you very much for chipping in on the processor. I really do appreciate the donations to it. billybobsky, 709 and Bryson have really made my night. Mrs T and I are very grateful for the support in getting the upgrade. Mostly because we all enjoy the game and I hate the idea of it not being able to handle our normal player load.

Again, Thank you very much.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-06, 20:43

100% worth it. And then some.

To address Keiran's point from earlier: is it worth having a subforum here (maybe even hidden from those who aren't interested) for Minecraft? This thread is unwieldy indeed.