AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

California vs. Texas

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
California vs. Texas
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-11-30, 00:40

I just found out I'll be moving to Houston, Texas sometime soon. I've never been to Texas, and I've lived in California all my life (L.A., S.F., Sacramento. I've lived all over this state). I was wondering if people could tell me what Texas is like. People, climate, schools. Anything. Seeing as they're one of the most conservative states in the country, and Cal is one of the most liberal, I figure that difference probably extends to other things as well. So, any insights?

(BTW, the exact city is Katy, TX)
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-11-30, 01:13

My fiancee is a Texas native and I just asked her opinion. On the question of moving, her response was, "Don't."

Seriously, Texas is a whole different planet and rural areas even more so. That particular part of Texas is one of the most conservative of the already conservative state. Good luck.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-11-30, 01:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain
My fiancee is a Texas native and I just asked her opinion. On the question of moving, her response was, "Don't."

Seriously, Texas is a whole different planet and rural areas even more so. That particular part of Texas is one of the most conservative of the already conservative state. Good luck.
I don't have a choice, really.

Shit.

BTW, I really don't mind the politics. I have conservative parents, so I'm around it all the time anyways. That is the least of my concerns. edit: I'm about to become one of the most liberal people I know. I'm only a very moderate liberal (I even lean libertarian on some issues). Here, I'm almost conservative in relation to some of the liberals I know.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-11-30, 01:39

I'm heading off to bed, but I'll share more 'insights' later.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-11-30, 03:19

I took a vacation through Texas. If you are religious, there are plenty of churches everywhere and boy, oh, boy do they have money to burn! It got to a point where they stood out so much that was all I noticed for a while.

Oh, and armadillos can jump.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2005-11-30, 09:11

One thing I notice when leaving California for just about anywhere else is the anti-smoking laws we have in this state. I love them to death. While I think it is totally a$$hole behavior, I cannot help but stare at people like they are idiots when I go to another state and they ask me about smoking versus non-smoking.

The last time I was in Texas, it felt like it was 1983 or so again. We stopped at a Wendy's and 9/10's of the restaurant was the smoking section with those little tin ashtrays I have not seen in eons. The farthest five or so tables were the non-smoking section where you go if you happen to be a space alien or something of that nature.

Nick
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-11-30, 10:18

Texas is a fine state, but Houston is really not representative of Texas as a whole. Meaning, most people in Houston are from somewhere else.
Houston is very cosmopolitan, sprawling, and frankly not zoned very well. The architecture is probably second only to Chicago, during the 70's and 80's there was a lot of oil money around and they spared little expense on buildings.
As for Texas as a whole......It's conservative, in name only I think, in reality they might be a little rowdier than many places, man they like the beer and football, high school football has stadiums any small college would be pleased to use. Many cities have midnight last call, and some counties are dry! (which means you join a club to drink) But less than 20 years ago you could drive while drinking a beer. They have package liquor stores that you drive your car through! Strip joints everywhere! (But the call them "Titty Bars") It's the kind of conservatism that's easy to live with.

But what makes Texas really special is the people, they are so friendly and outgoing, in vast emptiness of West Texas (big sky country) when you pass someone on the highway, they pull to the shoulder to let you pass and give you a wave.
Austin is a great city city, great bars, great music. Somehow I never got to San Antonio (I worked in Texas for 4 years) but I have heard the same about it, for different reasons. If you ever get to San Angelo or Abilene go to Zaentner's Daughter, order a KC for two and drink a beer for me.

Houston isn't Texas, but you can get there from there real easy. Houston is just another big american city with a bigger than average traffic problem.

But as for Texas......I miss Texas, If someone wants to diss it, well, all I can say is they missed it.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-11-30, 10:30

Thanks, guys. This helps a lot.

The city Katy is pretty new, I think. From what I can tell, most of it was built in the last 15 years or so. I don't think zoning will be too big a problem.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-11-30, 10:55

Austin is the fattest city in the world as far as i know
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-30, 11:03

I've driven through it a bunch, stayed for days, have some friends from there. It's a place I'd consider living, perhaps on the Gulf coast (Galveston)?

The neatest thing was how, when driving through it, west-to-east, you cover three distinct "zones": first the dry, hot desert in the west. Then onto the FLAT (I mean flatter than anything I've ever seen in my life) farmland and fields in the middle part and then, in the east, green and hilly.

I've done it 2-3 times over the years, and I always thought "wow, it's Arizona, Kansas and Tennessee...all rolled in to one state!"

Probably just like anywhere else...the good and the bad. And you really won't know until you get there, learn your way around, meet people and generally "live your life".

Everyone here is going to have their own "it's full of assholes and Bushes!" or "it's the greatest place that has ever existed" take...
micahgartman

2005-11-30, 11:10

Katy, TX is west of Houston; it's now considered the 'Burbs. I guess we'll be neighbors (I live on the West Side--about 10 minutes away).

An friend of mine grew up in LA in the 60's. He's always said that Houston is just like L.A.--only twenty years behind

I've lived in Houston for most of my life (was born here, too). It's a BIG city, with lots of people and cars. Traffic sucks, but it ain't as bad as L.A.

The weather here is TROPICAL. That means: HIGH humidity, HOT summers (95-100 in the late summer), and bizzarre, lightning-fast weather changes (last week, I woke up and it was 80 degrees. By the time I left work, it was FOURTY degrees). However, this also means Texas girls in bikinis most of the year (!!!)

Houston has the most topless bars in any US city (IIRC), tons of 'culture' and is very close to Galveston, TX. It's probably the world's shittiest beach, but it's a great place to fish (great surfing during the hurricane season, too).

Schools here are varied in quality. HISD is as corrupt as any other government agency. But, the Katy ISD is HIGHLY rated, and has a kick-ass football team (Texans LOVE high school football. Some high school teams could whip up on PRO teams--especially the Houston Texans (currently 1-10?)).

If you have nay more questions, feel free to PM me...
mg
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-11-30, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
Texas is a fine state, but Houston is really not representative of Texas as a whole.
He's not really moving to Houston though. He's moving to Katy (30 some miles away), which is a small town (suburb) in the middle of a very conservative part of the state...rich and conservative if I remember right. Katy is a new town. New money. So no, he won't have to deal west Texas rancher conservatism, but more of the 'clean boots' variety.

By the way? What part of Texas *is* representative of the whole state?

Quote:
As for Texas as a whole......It's conservative, in name only I think, in reality they might be a little rowdier than many places, man they like the beer and football, high school football has stadiums any small college would be pleased to use. Many cities have midnight last call, and some counties are dry! (which means you join a club to drink) But less than 20 years ago you could drive while drinking a beer. They have package liquor stores that you drive your car through! Strip joints everywhere! (But the call them "Titty Bars") It's the kind of conservatism that's easy to live with.

But what makes Texas really special is the people, they are so friendly and outgoing, in vast emptiness of West Texas (big sky country) when you pass someone on the highway, they pull to the shoulder to let you pass and give you a wave.
That's a very romantic picture. I like the roads. The people are very friendly. No doubt about it...until you have a conservation about something real...like foreign policy, religion, sexual politics, Aggies vs. Longhorns, etc.

(nitpick: Big Sky country is Montana.)

Quote:
Austin is a great city city, great bars, great music.
Austin is the only part of Texas I'd love to live. It's one of the coolest places in the country. It has all of the niceties you've mentioned without the conservative mentality. Of course, the sad thing is, CubeDude isn't moving to Austin. Otherwise, I'd be telling him where to eat. (Guerro's on South Congress, for the record)

Quote:
But as for Texas......I miss Texas, If someone wants to diss it, well, all I can say is they missed it.
Dealing in absolutes? Yup, I believe you lived in Texas. Texas is a lot of things, but it's not perfect. There's plenty to diss. Maybe you missed it? Or are you just a sucker for a clever rhyme scheme?

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-30, 11:25

So I counted no fewer than 7,452 conservative slams in sunrain's combined posts. Hmmm, I wonder...

"...and then, acidic, scorching piss fell right out of the sky because it was a conservative county. And bread tends to mold quicker, because of the uptight conservatives living there. And you can't get a good price on garden hoses and Pop-Tarts because, you guessed it..."

Jeez, deal with it already. You ain't gonna die!

Texas does have the coolest flag. Does that count for anything?

I'd LOVE to visit Austin one day, and see what it's like (I hear nothing but great things).
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-11-30, 11:30

*taps scates on the shoulder*

I count six seven.

CubeDude is moving from California. The man should be a little prepared. I'd do the same for someone moving from west Texas to Berkley.

- Steve Jobs
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2005-11-30, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby
Austin is the fattest city in the world as far as i know
Actually, Houston is the fattest city in the nation right now...

I've lived in Texas my whole life and I love it. I would never even consider living anywhere else. The people here are very nice. I find myself saying "hello" to at least 20 people whom I don't know each day. It is that kind of a state.

Plus, the food is great! (especially in Houston )

Deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-30, 11:40

Quote:
CubeDude is moving from California. The man should be a little prepared. I'd do the same for someone moving from west Texas to Berkley.
Except it's highly unlikely anyone in Berkley is going to be kicking a Texan's ass if things don't go smoothly, so the stakes are a bit different.

ducks before I get a hacky sack thrown at me
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2005-11-30, 11:43

Quote:
That's a very romantic picture. I like the roads. The people are very friendly. No doubt about it...until you have a conservation about something real...like foreign policy, religion, sexual politics, Aggies vs. Longhorns, etc.

(nitpick: Big Sky country is Montana.)
Wow, talk about stereotyping..

I'm sorry you believe that. I actually know a lot of liberals that live in Texas. And, intelligent conversations are not hard to come by in Texas. I don't know who you talked to, but, I'm sorry for any unpleasant experience you might have had in Texas.

Deal with it.
SKMDC

2005-11-30, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeDude
Thanks, guys. This helps a lot.

The city Katy is pretty new, I think. From what I can tell, most of it was built in the last 15 years or so. I don't think zoning will be too big a problem.
I never meant it was a problem, it was just odd, a strip mall next to a 20 story office building, it has a certain style, like free form jazz, it's just as you drive around Houston (the beltway, ugghhh) you find yourself saying "now why would they do that?" a lot.

Speaking of driving through Texas, we drove a U-haul once from Houston to the Midland/Odessa area, and when we were finally got to our exit (after driving all day) there was a sign that said El Paso 299 miles.
It's big I tell you.

I got into Mountain Biking in the HIll Country outside of Austin. I also played in a charity golf tournament at Pardenales, Willie Nelson's golf course, (that he lost to the government) and it is so beautiful there, the brown shrubby hills, the twisted mesquite trees, it's quite nice.

SKMDC

2005-11-30, 12:25

Sunrain if you ever go to Abilene and San Angelo, their news is Big Sky News, Big Sky Weather, big sky this and big sky that, I'm aware of Montana's moniker as I'm sure the people in west Texas are as well.....it's just that the sky is bigger. (just like in Montana) Someone once told me and I swear it's true, it's like you can see the earth curving up the road.

and since you asked, I think Dallas is very representative of the state as a whole. In fact seldom have I seen a big city so emblematic of a larger region. My point was Houston (and the burbs) IS different. It's hard to explain maybe it's the gridlock, maybe it's the fact that so many have come there from elsewhere. (much like California in the 50's and 60's) But it's different and it's a palpable difference at that.

I never lived in Texas, I worked there, living in hotels and driving from places like Lake Jackson, Galveston, all those Houston suburbs, Katy included. I've spent hours on the Beltway, the Tollway, the F.M.
Driven through Hill Country, hung out in Austin, spent way too much time in Temple, Waco, I had friends in Dallas and would take my days off there, out west to Abilene, San Angelo, Midland and Odessa, went to little league games (baseball & football) cook outs, strip joints....for god's sake I can still listen to George Strait.

I never said it was perfect, and boo hoo for you if I wax nostalgic about it, and get a little romantic about it. Not everybody has a piss at something they ideologically disagree with.

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-11-30, 12:29

mmmm...i was born and raised in cali....i think a certain amount of warning is true and fair...but moving from one state to any other state has it's up and down points...still texas and cali are much much different...

i am in new mexico now and new mexicians hate texas...so take that with a certain amount of salt substitute...

but also the parts of texas near new mexico are not very pretty...the panhandle is possibly the ugliest part of north america

still i know a number of young ladies who go to college in texas and tell me that the boys there are very nice and well mannered...so that is a bonus....

i also know many people from texas that consider texas as almost it's own country...if you're born in texas you're ok, it not...well you may be ok but they don't really care to find that out...just avoid those people and you'll probably do fine...all states likely have these people, texans are just more upfront and vocal about it

but again, i'm living in new mexico...here in albuquerque we have a mountain with skiing...the east side is sloped nicely with trails and lifts, the west side is rocks and a long straight down drop to your certain demise...we call the west side the ski area for texans

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
billybobsky
BANNED

2005-11-30, 12:34

I think this needs a song:

Monkey Versus Robot
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-30, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
<tangent> Ever read the book? My old roommate got a huge crack out of it, laughing practically to tears, one night that he read it. Monkey vs. Robot became our in-joke for the longest time. </tangent>

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SKMDC

2005-11-30, 12:56

New Mexico is gorgeous, I looked to moving to New Mexico after my time in Texas was over and I got a hair in my ass to live in a place where they have the "Blood of Christ" mountains, I remember seeing Shiprock off to the west and decided to drive til I got there....I never did.

So I spent a month there and just got depressed.
It was more what was going on around me at the time, my life on the road was coming to end which meant living up to dreadful things waiting back home, and I just sat in Albuquerque and got as close to suicidal as I ever got.

But you're right, when I finally gave up and drove home, I drove through the panhandle and on through Oklahoma and remember thinking, "for the buckle of the bible belt this area sure looks godforsaken."

kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-11-30, 13:12

Get ready for lots of churchs (of the Six Flags over Jesus variety), lots of religious fundamentalism and some of the worst summers in the US. You will have really high humidity from June to September and it will be frigging HOT!!!! Seriously, you will walk out your door in the summer and immediately you shirt will become wet and sweat will pour from your body. Prepare yourself.

Oh yeah, unless things have changed in the last 5 years you will also see alot of haze from the oil refineries and you will occasionally wake up to see your car with a small oil slick over it.

Football is king. Everyone is absolutely nuts over football all the way from peewee league to college.

One more thing, since I am from Arkansas I am obligated to say:TEXAS SUCKS!!! (goes back to the old SEC football days)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-11-30, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeDude
I was wondering if people could tell me what Texas is like. People, climate, schools. Anything. Seeing as they're one of the most conservative states in the country, and Cal is one of the most liberal, I figure that difference probably extends to other things as well. So, any insights?

A) You're in for culture shock... without question.

B) People - ostensibly people are people so you should find a fair share of decent folks to have a drink with or whatever. Realistically, be prepared for the cadillac driving, flag waving ego-maniacs. I suspect there are many in that particular city.

It's also like the 4th largest population in the country behind New York, Chicago and LA so I imagine there's a good amount (contradiction in terms) of sprawl, strip malls, etc.

C) Climate - hot and humid as fuck most of the time. Swelter will be an integral part of your vocabulary.

D) Schools - have no idea at the primary level, at the university level there are no great schools in that immediate area AFAIK. The best school in the state is University of Texas at Austin, by far I would think. Also I think Austin is probably by far the best city to live in, if you're moving from a relatively progressive-minded area.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-30, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
...be prepared for the cadillac driving, flag waving ego-maniacs...
Let me guess...with steer horns mounted on the front and Colt 45 pistol door handles too?

Moogs, you'd be one of the first to jump on someone for trading in such trite stereotypes!

I expect a bit more creativity and "outside the box" point-making from some of you...
¡Damned!

2005-11-30, 15:13

Quote:
Word.

I miss Tejas just about every day.
billybobsky
BANNED

2005-11-30, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
<tangent> Ever read the book? My old roommate got a huge crack out of it, laughing practically to tears, one night that he read it. Monkey vs. Robot became our in-joke for the longest time. </tangent>
I didn't realize there was a book!

Holy shit.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-11-30, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Let me guess...with steer horns mounted on the front and Colt 45 pistol door handles too?

Moogs, you'd be one of the first to jump on someone for trading in such trite stereotypes!

Aww common already... we all know certain stereotypes exist for good reason. For example, who denies that many an asian lady has difficulty driving in a non-disruptive way? Or that many a white man has a flat butt compared to his afro-american counterparts? Or that hockey players all are missing teeth.

I'll just say this, there's a reason people in Austin mock the people in Houston, and it often has to do with the Cadillac-driving dude, sporting the big Don't Mess with Texas chip on his shoulder. Now of course, Cadillac these days means that XR-whatever-you-call it SUV and the cool sports sedan like the one that got all shot to hell in the Matrix... but a Caddy nonetheless. Takes a special breed to always buy a caddy; I learnt that growing up down south, suh!

And yes, you are correct: I am only too happy to pounce on the occasional bad stereotype... I just happened to think this one was reasonably accurate. Or at a minimum kinda humorous. What fun is this thread if we can't scare the guy a little? :smokey:

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-30, 15:57

Okay then.

Not being a Texan, I'm not hip to any Dallas vs. Houston (or Everywhere vs. Houston) vibe.

I have been to San Antonio, years and years ago, and remember it - the downtown part, with a canal winding through the city - as quite beautiful and nicely done! We rode a boat thing, slowly through the area, under trees and past shops and restaurants. I thought it was awesome. I was about 11 or so, but I still remember that.