Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

(Toyota) Scion Thread... Experiences?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
(Toyota) Scion Thread... Experiences?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-02-11, 09:45

A family member is considering getting a new car and was originally looking at the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, etc, but recently discovered the Scion Tc (the sedan-like car) and was asking me about it. Looks like it's basically somewhere between a Corolla and a Camry in terms of styling and features. The price tag is a good $10K less than the Camry she was looking at so it's potentially a huge deal in this economy. So the real question is, if she test-drives it and likes it, are Scions known to be any more or less reliable than your typical Camry (which AFAIK are still extremely reliable cards)? Any known issues that pop up after the first year or anything like that?

Any experiences with the Scion sedan or Scion reliability in general are appreciated. I know there's plenty to find online but I wanted to ask here first as I know many of you are into cars and know what you're talking about, presumably.

...into the light of a dark black night.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-02-11, 09:51

I don't have any first hand experience with a Scion, but they are just basically a Toyota design with a Scion badge.

I'm sure that any benefits to having a Toyota would be passed on to the Scion brand.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2009-02-11, 10:21

Isn't the tC the coupe? I wouldn't call that a sedan. Now that I think about it, what is the definition of "sedan"?

Anyway, we looked at Scions when we bought our last car. We would have bought an xA (it was our first choice), but they stopped making them (we ended up with a Honda Fit, which is very similar, but a little larger).

The Scions are very nice and seem like a very good value. We were impressed enough to want to buy one. They are basically Toyota cars with different, "younger" branding. My only real input here is that the Scion line seems very fickle. The xA had a very short life, without any replacement (still don't understand that one), and the original xB was completely redesigned into something Hummer-looking. They added the xD - maybe that was supposed to replace the xA? It's as if they don't want the models to evolve slowly over time. They want brand new models every few years or something.

Ugh.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-02-11, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
Isn't the tC the coupe?
Yes.

Quote:
They added the xD - maybe that was supposed to replace the xA?
Yes.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-02-11, 13:19

Yah i guess the tC is a coupe... my point is it's the model that doesn't look like a hatch-back or the model that looks like a refrigerator on wheels, though I guess the newer model of that mini-suv thing is less fridge-like now.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-02-11, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Yah i guess the tC is a coupe... my point is it's the model that doesn't look like a hatch-back or the model that looks like a refrigerator on wheels, though I guess the newer model of that mini-suv thing is less fridge-like now.
The xB? It may have been a little more squared-off before, but if anything the new one is MORE of a fridge. They made it gigantic in the updated version. It's a foot longer and it weighs over 600 lbs more than it used to. That hurts fuel economy significantly - it used to be rated for 26/30, but now it's rated for 22/28. This is all part of the auto industry's (as a whole) and Toyota's (in particular) obsession with making everything bigger, all the time, no matter what.

Yes, the xD now exists and fills the role of both the late xA and the previous xB, so it's not like Scion is without a small car. But they have turned the xB from a boxy hatchback into yet another crossover.

One cool thing about the tC is the sunroof.

If you guys are looking at sedans, you should also consider the Mazda6/Ford Fusion and the Hyundai Sonata. Both are from up-and-coming manufacturers that have done a great job and will likely save you a lot of money vs. a Camry or Accord.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-02-11, 14:20

Might take a look at the Mazda. Thanks for the tip, Luca. I was trying to get her to take a look at Nissan also but she said that the Nissans she's ridden in, she wasn't impressed with... plus I guess some people at work have maintenance issues with Nissan.

American and Korean automobiles are not an option. The latter because they don't have as many plants here in the US - AFAIK most of those cars come over on a boat- and the former because we're not going to support the American auto industry until they get their shit together and start managing their companies like a 21st century manufacturer.

We are of the opinion that since 100% of the labor that goes into most Hondas and Toyotas is American, and more than 50% of the parts manufacturing (and even some of the design shops) are American, there is no argument to be made (other than cost potentially) for passing on the well-known quality of their designs and their well-known reliability also. That's a big part of where the interest in Scion comes from, but we want to make sure it's not a dumbed down or lower quality brand in terms of reliability, etc.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-02-11, 14:40

Mazda is still partly owned by Ford (though Ford sold a significant part of their stake, going from 33.4% ownership to just over 13% ownership) and the Mazda6 and Ford Fusion are built on the same platform. That's why I recommended both. I prefer the 6 myself (it is better built), but the Fusion is a very similar car and a good one.

Furthermore, Ford's the best American make out there. They're not perfect but they've been managed much better than GM and Chrysler. They're in better shape financially, and unlike those two companies, their vehicles are actually pretty good. GM cars have been mediocre for a long time with a few exceptions, while Chrysler doesn't have even one car worth considering.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-02-11, 14:58

I didn't realize Mazdas were made by Ford (or is it just an ownership thing?). Interesting. Yah I've ridden in the Ford 500 and similar cars. They've definitely improved since the 90s but I don't think the buyer will go for it. Actually one our extended family members has a 500 too but it's a company car so that doesn't count.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-02-11, 15:10

Mazdas aren't really made by Ford, they just have had a partnership for quite some time where they share platforms. It works both ways - the Mazda6 and Ford Fusion are both based on a Ford platform, but they have different engines from their respective companies (which is what makes the 6 a better car). Meanwhile, the Mazda3, Volvo S40 (Volvo is owned by Ford), and the international version of the Ford Focus are all built on a Mazda platform. It's too bad Ford doesn't sell the international Focus in the U.S. because it's a great car. Closest you can get to one is that Volvo, or the 3.

Late this year or maybe next year, though, Ford is going to be bringing some of their international models to the U.S., most notably the compact Fiesta, which is also based on a Mazda platform. I'm not sure if they'll bring in the international Focus as well, nor do I know what other cars will be coming, but there should be some good ones. Despite being an American company, Ford sells its best cars overseas.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-02-11, 15:50

Yep. I seem to recall seeing many Fords in the UK.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2009-02-11, 18:36

Scions came out really well in customer satisfaction and complaints last year. The tC is pretty nice, needs a refresh in the near future, but is a pretty damn good car for the price. I'll have to find that info for you...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-02-11, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
Isn't the tC the coupe? I wouldn't call that a sedan. Now that I think about it, what is the definition of "sedan"?
Coupe = 2 doors
Sedan = 4 doors

That's the definition I've always known, used, and seen.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-02-11, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Coupe = 2 doors
Sedan = 4 doors

That's the definition I've always known, used, and seen.
Unless you're from the UK! Then it's:

Coo-pay: 2 doors
Saloon: 4 doors