Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Minecraft Threads

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft Threads
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2011-04-16, 19:57

Is there a way to tag all the Minecraft threads or have them all start with an MC: Thread Title so that when I'm looking through the "new posts" I can quickly see which ones to not care about? I know I'm not alone in wanting there to be an easy way to ignore the seemingly hundreds of Minecraft threads. I'm sure it's fun and all for those of you that are interested, but for those of us who aren't would still like to enjoy the forums as well.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-04-16, 20:04

I second this thread.

I have no problem with people chatting about Minecraft, but sometimes it just seems like too much.

Separating the MC posts into a separate forum was nice, but there still needs to be another step.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-16, 20:24

I have to agree, and I'm one of the "Minecrafters". The separate forum is great, but it needs to be Opt-in. Perhaps by using a group?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2011-04-16, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I have to agree, and I'm one of the "Minecrafters". The separate forum is great, but it needs to be Opt-in. Perhaps by using a group?
I'd be okay with that, but that's not just a Minecraft forum. Where would those of us who aren't part of the group go to discuss non-Minecraft video games?

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-16, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I'd be okay with that, but that's not just a Minecraft forum. Where would those of us who aren't part of the group go to discuss non-Minecraft video games?
Take the good with the bad?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-16, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
The separate forum is great, but it needs to be Opt-in. Perhaps by using a group?
I could make it so the GamingNova forum is invisible by default, and you have to check a box in your user settings to make it visible, but that would only hide the forum listing, not the threads themselves. (edit: No, I could hide the threads too, effectively like the Moderator's Pub forum.) Besides, I don't want to hide the forum from guests, thereby requiring registration and custom settings to view.

To be honest, though, I'm tempted to just say "deal with it". There are plenty of threads I don't care about that show up when I check for new posts (the various sports threads, for instance, I couldn't care less about), but I just skim over them in the list and move on with life. Today, only 3 of the 18 threads (excluding this one) with new posts are about Minecraft. Activity will rise and fall periodically with those threads, just as it does for sports threads or new Apple product announcement threads or any other general type of thread.

Spoiler (click to toggle):

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-16, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Also, yeah, this. I deliberately didn't specify the new forum as a Minecraft-only forum because I hoped to see more general gaming-focused discussions in there. We have a few threads that fit that bill, but they are admittedly outnumbered by MC. I'd like to give the forum a bit more time to grow and fit in before sealing it off or changing the definition.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-16, 20:54

I've already started two non-Minecraft threads in GamingNova, and a lot of the OMG 27 Minecraft threads are spun-off discussions from the original mega-long Minecraft thread, and aren't necessarily active. They'll fade from view with time.

I do agree that, since it's a general gaming forum, threads that are about Minecraft should say so in the title. Most of them do, but there's a few ("Project Gallery," "Spider Chat," the mob trap poll) that don't.

Edit: Aaaand they've been edited. So, there you go.

I agree that we should give the new forum a chance to grow before writing it off as only for the Minecrafters. E3 is right around the corner, and a gaming forum is something that's made a lot of sense for some time now. Everybody who was complaining on the Twitters should just start a Myst thread and be happy.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2011-04-16 at 21:12.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-16, 21:08

I think the "MC: xxxxxxxx" idea is the easiest way to separate things and be uniform about it. I'd almost say any thread about a particular series or game should have such a prefix, such as the Zelda topics that will certainly be made in the future with OoT3D and Skyward Sword on the way. While MC is certainly the predominant topic in GamingNova, I'll personally assure you that there will be some Zelda, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, etc. threads started by yours truly.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-16, 21:14

So I'm personally torn on this one. I think in time this MC chat will die down to just another topic of chat. Then again, it's also a game that is allowed to build for time to come. Sooooo on one hand I think there should be a group to join if you'd like to be a part of the Minecraft fun. By joining you see the sub-forum and topics about MC. On the other hand, it's just another topic for people to talk about in a forum that covers anything and everything. It just happens to be the latest thing to beat sliced bread.

The nice part of a group is the elitist mindset we could develop because we are a part of something others aren't!

My take is for now just let it ride and see what happens. In a few months if it's still Minecraftnova and others have a hard time finding everything else about AN then consider the group.

Louis L'Amour, β€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2011-04-16, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I do agree that, since it's a general gaming forum, threads that are about Minecraft should say so in the title. Most of them do, but there's a few ("Project Gallery," "Spider Chat," the mob trap poll) that don't.
This is really what got me to thinking. I don't want the Gaming Nova to be closed or opt-in or hidden, nor do I want to limit the Minecraft discussion for those that are into it, I just think that there should be some better titling to announce the thread as a Minecraft thread. I'm well aware that people are into Minecraft and that's cool but I, like Brad with sports, would like to be able to quickly discern which threads to skip over.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-04-16, 21:23

On a bit of an aside - what exactly do people do on Minecraft? I have raised this half-jokingly, inserting myself in a couple of Minecraft threads. Is it something like a group-play SimCity, except underground?

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-16, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
This is really what got me to thinking. I don't want the Gaming Nova to be closed or opt-in or hidden, nor do I want to limit the Minecraft discussion for those that are into it, I just think that there should be some better titling to announce the thread as a Minecraft thread. I'm well aware that people are into Minecraft and that's cool but I, like Brad with sports, would like to be able to quickly discern which threads to skip over.
All Minecraft threads now have "Minecraft" or "MC" in the title. So, thanks to whichever mod made that happen.

I'm with RowdyScot: descriptive thread titles are always a good idea, as I'm sure there will be other games that spawn multiple threads. (Skyrim comes to mind.) Minecraft's just a very multifaceted game/world/creative outlet/thing, so that's why it has so many.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-16, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
On a bit of an aside - what exactly do people do on Minecraft? I have raised this half-jokingly, inserting myself in a couple of Minecraft threads. Is it something like a group-play SimCity, except underground?
It's only as underground as you want it to be.

Basically, you collect materials (from mines as well as from trees, animals, beaches, monsters...) and use those materials to build structures and craft new materials. A piece of flint, a stick, and a feather can be crafted into an arrow, for instance. It's very open-ended, and the sky is literally the limit with what you can build β€” we've got a pyramid, a hockey rink, a UFO, treehouses, a replica of a Zelda dungeon, an airport, and even an Apple Store. It's basically massively multiplayer Lego, only you don't have to buy pieces. Everybody's creations share one persistent world, so there's always one element of everybody trying to surprise and one-up each other, while there's another element of everybody working together to build things that help everyone, like sidewalks and skyways and animal traps. It's pretty low-stress and methodical, if you want it to be...or you can go off exploring into caves, and who knows what you'll find.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-04-16, 21:39

Maybe instead of making the forum "opt-in" you could make it "opt-out".

That way, it's there from the start for new users and guests, but people who want to hide the forum could.

I can also see your point Brad, there are many threads here that people don't care about and would love to hide, it just seems as if the MC stuff has gotten a lot more traffic recently.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-16, 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Maybe instead of making the forum "opt-in" you could make it "opt-out".
Unfortunately, vBulletin doesn't make this easy. Permissions/access levels are all additive. So, you can't lose permission to see a forum by adding yourself to a member group. You'd instead have to get an admin/mod to change your default group to one that starts off without access to the forum. It's a pain, unfortunately.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-04-16, 22:01

Gotcha.

Seeing as how this gone, even just making sure all I'd the titles have MC or something similar in there would be good enough for me.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-16, 23:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Seeing as how this gone, even just making sure all I'd the titles have MC or something similar in there would be good enough for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
All Minecraft threads now have "Minecraft" or "MC" in the title. So, thanks to whichever mod made that happen.
That was me. I did it hastily earlier, resulting in an inconsistent pattern. I've just now gone back and retitled them all to start with "MC: ". Hopefully everyone here will pick up and continue using that convention for new threads.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2011-04-17, 06:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
That was me. I did it hastily earlier, resulting in an inconsistent pattern. I've just now gone back and retitled them all to start with "MC: ". Hopefully everyone here will pick up and continue using that convention for new threads.
Thanks for that. It'll make it easier to skim through the post listing in the future am really, that's all I was looking for.