User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 80 of 103 First Previous 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84  Next Last Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2019-08-28, 14:17

The newest JOKER trailer looks pretty damn good. I love pretty much anything that Joaquin Phoenix is in, so this is exciting that he picked a comic thing to do. I trust that he wouldn't be a part of it if the script wasn't great. We'll see.

So it goes.
murbot
Hoonigan

2019-08-28, 22:34

What did you think of You Were Never Really Here?

(I fucking loved it)
¡Damned!

2019-08-29, 10:41

Child trafficking/abuse squicks me out more than anything, so I haven't watched it yet. Anna loved it... maybe I'll watch it tonight. I should.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-11, 16:24

The Call of the Wild with Harrison Ford

I was really excited until I watched the trailer. There's more CGI in this than Star Wars. Remember when they made animal movies with actual animals?

Seriously, this movie looks about as cheesy as the recent Disney remakes. Such lazy film making. What, they can't get animals to sit anymore? Keanu Reeves and Halle Barry worked with live animals in JW3 and they had them jumping all over the place. This CGI crap is going too far, and now it's to the point where it's ruining the classics! Sheesh. Shame on Harrison Ford for taking part in such a crap fest.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-11, 16:45

Probably a lot easier to work with (multiple takes, doing specific tasks, etc.). Plus, you don't have the PETA types all over your case 24/7 because you might've looked at a dog weird during a break or something. If I were a director and making an animal-heavy movie in 2020, I'd fill it with CGI critters. Hell, in light of events/movements of recent years, I'd use all CGI human cast as well. Nobody ever got fired/arrested for ogling, or accidentally touching, a CGI titty.

If they remade Raiders of the Lost Ark (and I'm sure it's coming at some point), all those snakes in the Well of Souls would surely now be CGI...who the hell wants to keep up with hundreds of snakes on a movie set?

As for Harrison Ford, I kinda wish he's just go away at this point. He's doing that victory lap thing, I do believe.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-02-11, 17:20

I had to look away at the trailer for Call of the Wild.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-11, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Nobody ever got fired/arrested for ogling, or accidentally touching, a CGI titty.
Bet you they would, though!

If CGI Harrison Ford accidentally bumps CGI Carrie Fisher's milk cans, someone is getting sued 30 years from now. The CGI courts will have something to say about the male-dominated CGI developer pervs.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2020-02-11, 17:35

I really want Ford to do one last interesting movie without any of the [GIVE ME BACK / I DIDN'T DO / GET OFF MY]>[ thing ] stuff he's so done over and over. Like, The Mosquito Coast / Witness / Frantic Ford. He's never been a great actor but I wouldn't mind seeing him in one final good movie.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-11, 18:35

He should do a Han Solo: Senior Moments movie.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-12, 10:03

I hear that new Harley Quinn flick is really tearing it up at the box office. The lowest-opening DC movie since 2010 (Jonah Hex). When you think about the middling, uninspired stuff WB/DC has released these past few years - featuring receding hair Superman, Aqua-Brah, mall skateboarder Joker* and Batman Whose Lost His Razor), that’s quite a feat! You really have to drop the ball to make something more unwatchable than Justice League, Suicide Squad and Aqua-Man!

Congrats...?

This whole thing has been a wreck from the get-go. Gal Gadot and her portrayal of Wonder Woman has been the only good to come out of any of it. And I’m not saying that to be a white knight or score any Woke™️ points. It’s simply because she, like Chris Evans and his Steve Rogers/Captain America in the Marvel stuff, is the only likable, non-a-hole character in the bunch. One genuinely noble, virtuous person who embraces their role of superhero, surrounded by emo whiners, frat boys, smartasses, tortured schlubs and other annoying characters.

*Jared Leto, not Joaquin Phoenix
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-12, 11:18

In the DC universe, I've only watched Aquaman (it was sub-par amongst a host of crap films—I think I would rather sit through TLJ again). Other than that, I grew tired of Batman/Superman rehashes so long ago that I haven't watched a single other DC movie, even Wonderwear Woman. I say "Wonderwear Woman" because in this age of "don't sexualize women", the only good news I've heard about DC is the one where the hero is sexualized.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-12, 12:13

That is the interesting thing about stuff like this. On one hand the filmmakers want to honor the established history/design of the character which, let's face it, was pretty much a one-piece bathing suit. More modest in the earlier years, of course (a blue skirt, but still lots of bare leg, shoulders, etc.). I've seen more recent comic depictions where she's wearing pants/bodysuit, more like you'd see other superheroes sporting. So there has been that transition, at least in the comic book realm.

But, yeah...the traditional look, as everyone knows it, is the blue, red and gold "bathing suit". That's the bulk of the comics, the Saturday morning cartoons and the 70's Lynda Carter TV show. For better or worse, that's the Wonder Woman look 98% of the planet knows/recognizes. Fine, no problem from me.

But had the filmmakers not gone with that traditional, expected look, half the people would've freaked ("Aww, that P.C./#MeToo bullshit done went and ruined Wonder Woman!", etc.). You have to remember...one man's Super Bowl halftime show is another man's 20-minute tug session. Important to recognize that.

I don't think I'm saying anything outrageous when I say that whatever anyone says or does, at this point in our culture, is guaranteed, right off the bat, to alienate/offend/trigger/anger 50% of the population. Without fail. We truly seem to be split right down the center at this point, on every single issue, major or silly. You're truly in a no-win situation because if you go with the traditional outfit, this and that crowd are gonna be in your face and cry about it on Twitter. But if you think "okay, she's a superhero not a pinup poster, let's redesign the outfit to better reflect that, 20 years into the 21st century", then you're gonna tick off the traditionalists and those who've grown weary of all the hyper-P.C. handwringing of late.

You truly can't win with people anymore. Being pissed off/offended, from both sides is simply the new national pastime.

To be honest, I was kinda surprised WB/DC went with the traditional outfit. I'm not complaining, mind you...Ms. Gadot looks wonderful. But I liked the parts that were more Amazonian battle armor. I kinda compare this character to Thor on the Marvel side, coming from a different world and with a warrior type of background. But Thor isn't running around shirtless, with short shorts, as much as some may want that.

If these Wonder Woman movies continue, she may wind up in a more "covered all over" outfit, some sort of stylish battle armor or whatever? I've seen pics from the upcoming sequel where she's in more of a gold armor outfit in some scenes (but even that is quite sexy in its own way; let's face it...they're not gonna totally de-sexualize the character), so maybe that's what they're transitioning to, after acknowledging history/lore with the red/gold/blue bathing suit.

Funny, if you strip it all down (no pun) to where Wonder Woman's outfit was the standard look, then you'd have Superman and Batman in some real "interesting" costumes. So, yeah...when you look at it that way, Wonder Woman's skimpy outfit seems kinda silly and out-of-place. Green Lantern isn't walking around with his bulge on full show, and his chest emblem painted on a shirtless, chiseled torso. Same for the others. She's gotta do the cheesecake thing, while all her dude counterparts are armored, caped, body-suited, etc.

Where do you break from "tradition" and embrace practicality and modern mores? They'll figure it out (and I'm sure audiences and the public in general will certainly let them know; that's what Twitter is for, right?).

Mind you, none of this means anything to me because (except for Star Wars ) I don't go to movies to be offended and troubled (but I think I may be in the minority on that at this point). They could put her in a wool, turtlenecked schoolmarm dress as long as there's a good story/plot/writing, so I honestly don't care what she wears. Even as "caveman" and non-P.C. as I can be about some things, even I kinda think "that's not really the most practical crimefighting get-up imaginable" (her boots are heeled as well, and you know that's not ideal). At some point I think they should probably cover her up a bit more, with some sensible shoes, strictly for practicality purposes...unless part of her overall tactical approach is to distract her foes with leg, cleavage, nice shoulders, etc. In which case, who am I to argue against what the creators originally came up with? I respect history and tradition too much to try and undermine the hard work of others.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-02-12 at 12:28.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-02-13, 11:14

709, while he isn't seen in it, Harrison Ford voices a farm dog named Rooster in Secret Life of Pets 2. He's actually really good in that.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-13, 11:46

I actually watched the trailer to Call of the Wild last night. The CGI didn't jump out at me in any sort of horrific way. No more than the nuttiness I see in any Fast/Furious or these recent live-action Disney remake (which, BTW, nobody is asking for) trailers. I expected to see cartoon-looking animals. You're not gonna get a bunch of dogs, a bear or two, snow, rushing rivers, iced-over lakes, avalanches, kangaroos, pterodactyls, Martians and whatever else might be in this movie to all play nice (and safe). Hell yes they employed CGI...they don't want a bunch of dead actors and animals strewn all over the place.

Can't blame them...can you imagine the bad PR that comes with being the studio/director that killed Harrison Ford and a cute dog? I'd be willing to overlook the Ford thing, but offing a cute dog is pretty unforgivable in my book.

Beyond the safety aspect, you know how some of those dog actors are...the massive egos, demands and constant questioning/complaining about the script ("Why would I bark here? What's my motivation?", etc.). Not to mention smoking weed in their trailer all day, holding up production, annoying the cast and crew with their endless anti-Trump diatribes, etc. Just build one in the computer that isn't a time/budget-wasting pain-in-the-ass.

If they could've built a convincing one for a crotchety old-fart actor too, I'm sure they would've.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-13, 12:38

No trailer as of yet, but I am super excited about this. Shrunk, if it is real, will be Rick Moranis' first movie in 25 years!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-13, 14:18

The article says he was approached to participate in the two most recent Ghostbusters outings, but declined. I can certainly understand wanting nothing to do with the 2016 McCarthy/Wiig/McKinnon/Jones cringe-fest (I'd like to think he read the script and responded to the director/studio with "you're kidding, right?"). But I thought he might've thrown in with this upcoming one, since it seems to be more of a direct tie to the originals, and Murray, Aykroyd, Hudson, Weaver and Potts (basically everyone except Harold Ramis) appear to be involved, according to IMDb.

Oh well. The man has his reasons.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-13, 19:22

Ah...the first reveal of Robert Pattinson in the Batman suit for the upcoming The Batman. Odd, mechanical-looking chest emblem. That's new/different, as well as the area where the cowl meets the shoulders. Always fun to see a new take on the suit, cowl, vehicle, etc.

Good grief, how many times are they gonna reboot/recast this guy? Batman is almost a mini-Bond thing at this point, six actors over 30 years (Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, Affleck and now Pattinson). And that's not counting any animated or TV (Gotham) appearance. You'd be in the 8-9 actor range if you start counting that stuff.

I suppose the big question is a) when, exactly, is this Pattinson movie supposed to be set, and b) are they working toward having Pattinson's Batman and Joaquin's Joker eventually cross paths? The WB/DC thing is such a mess. There isn't one overall, cohesive, in-line timeframe, it seems, so it's hard to know what to expect. That recent Joker movie looks to be set back in the early 80's maybe? And I know there was an appearance of a little boy named Bruce, so if the goal is to get these two together, there will have to be a time-jump of a solid 10-15 years to account for at least a 20-something Batman.

I still think they should just troll everyone and cast Kristen Stewart and Taylor Lautner as the co-leads. There's your Cat-Woman and Riddler...a Twilight reunion. Goodness knows you'd get the 13-year-old chick money!

This movie is supposedly focusing on the second year of Batman's existence - Year Two - which is awesome because that means we don't have to sit through another origin story. Everyone on the planet knows how Batman came to be, so we can start leaving that out of all future projects. Maybe this will hit the ground running, with Pattinson already "on the job", etc.

Very confusing, especially if Affleck pops up in the role again. I guess WB/DC is just taking a "multiple universe/timeline" approach, so they can just use any character, any actor, at any time in their "career" without having to worry about continuity or what's been shown before? A weird way to go about it, but they've shit the bed on the world-building effort (Batman v Superman and Justice League), so they may as well try something new and novel to explain all the mismatch and "we're making it up as we go".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-02-13 at 19:54.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-13, 19:29

No Batman for me.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-02-13, 22:44

Been to Gotham.
Got the t-shirt.
Good luck with the latest, everybody!

Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-02-14, 01:10

Warner Brothers makes comic book filmmaking look really, really hard.

How do you manage to make even the Flash an unlikeable character? Then again, everything in the WB universe is depressing and gloomy.

Did these guys not see Robert Downey's Iron Man?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-14, 10:16

I think they did, and consciously opted to take a different tone. When you look at the writers and directors they hired, and their previous work, it’s pretty clear.

They tried to mimic the world/team-building of Marvel, only in one thrown-together movie as opposed to the slow, planned approach Marvel took. Iron Man came out in 2008. That first big Avengers team up came in 2012. Between that time you had stand-alone Hulk, Captain America and Thor movies, where you also were introduced to Nick Fury, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and the two SHIELD agents who’d factor in strongly in later installments.

In comparison, WB/DC released Man of Steel in 2013, a year after the hit Avengers movie. But it was too late to do much with it as it had already been filmed. But they obviously wanted to get in on that “we’re putting together a team” angle.

One company/studio had a long term plan, the other just threw everything they had against the wall hoping something would stick.

It didn’t work. Obviously.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-02-14 at 14:57.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-02-14, 14:47

Yeah, they desperately need to Flashpoint everything, except Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-14, 15:31

The Wonder Woman thing is interesting, to me, not because of Wonder Woman, but the likability/innocence/goodness of the character when she isn't in crimefighting mode. Honestly, I'd watch a two-hour movie of Gal Gadot just being Diana ("a babyyyyy!" ). The Wonder Woman parts were just icing on the cake, IMO.

That's typically opposite of most superhero movies, where you're wanting them to quit being the boring alter ego, put on the cape and go to town. I think that was the key/secret ingredient (very similar, IMO, to Steve Rogers; even out of his uniform/shield, Chris Evans played that character perfectly for all those movies). He was the only one on the bunch who I truly really rooted for and liked, and it's only right that he was the one "worthy" enough to lift/use that hammer when it counted.

If they don't screw it up, they've got a great combo of actress/character that they can probably get another 2-3 movies out of, and make a nice chunk of change, in the process. The fact that she's immortal/ageless gives them a nice sandbox to play in. That first movie was set during WWI, this upcoming sequel is set in 1984 (what isn't these days...I'm just about to be 80's-ed out ). Why not a cool 1959-1961 Sputnik/Mad Men type of setting, a full-on set-in-70's adventure, late 30's or WWII tale (think The Rocketeer) or even present day? There are plenty of people/groups out there in 2020 just begging for a righteous, well-deserved ass-beating/comeuppance that I'd love to see delivered by her.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-14, 17:27

I'll be honest.

I had a difficult time getting very far into Wonder Woman, what with the Wonder-Broad wars and Captain New Kirk's crappy acting. It did nothing for me, and pretty much put an end to any further exploration of the DC universe.

I get that these people are all "super heroes" operating amongst us pukey mortals, but this stuff is all just getting far too unrealistic and "out there".

I can get on board with Star Wars and Star Trek (mostly) because the writers are deliberately taking us to new worlds where things should be different and outrageous. However, these comic movies (and most action flicks) now have even the mere mortals jumping tremendous distances, falling from great heights, and otherwise surviving impossible scenarios with way too much busy-CGI crap. It's no longer entertaining and the story-telling is getting increasingly mindless. I mean, this is Earth, and gravity matters!

Thus, I got right up to Diana rescuing Chris Pine's character*, rolled my eyes, and gave up. The angle and impact speed of that plane crash make it clear that the pilot died on impact. End of story. But immediately after a cheesy, CGI-mess of a 100mph crash in a WWI-era, open-cockpit plane and he hasn't got a single mark on his face? And Ken checked out of the movie!

But my daughter loved it, so there's that.

*That whole beach scene was certainly taken straight from a comic book, what with its George Lucas-inspired dialogue.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-14, 18:12

It wasn't a great movie, but compared to where it sprang from it couldn't help but look good. If you lay a daisy next to a turd, guess what? You're gonna see a really pretty flower!

They should be happy they managed to salvage something from that whole Triad of Overwrought Suckage (Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and Justice League).

If they want to waste more money on that, going forward, that's their call. I'd recommend they quit while they're ahead, before they totally sink everything. Focus on what works, jettison what hasn't.

I know they'll never do this, but as the only person on the planet who apparently loved Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, I've always wanted to see a Batman (or even Justice League) done in that style/setting. The Rocketeer and the first Captain America movie looked great, so I'm already a sucker for that time-setting with the 30's/40's retro touches. I'd love to see that happen someday, even with that highly-stylized Sin City vibe. Or like one of those Max Fleischer cartoons come to life...robots, ray guns, men in fedoras, Tommy guns, cool cars, with our heroes inserted and using the "high tech" of the time. But that won't appeal to modern, young audiences, so that's money they'd never risk. I'll just have to continue picturing/enjoying it in my head. That might be something more suitable for a Netflix one-off series or something, vs. going all-in on a big budget movie nobody but me would watch.

It is funny/interesting, however, how all those animated Justice League, Superman and Batman shows from the 90's (and early 2000's?) are better written and more enjoyable than anything live-action WB/DC has managed to put on screen in nearly seven years. Maybe hire those creators to head things up. I still get a kick out of watching some of those (I think Bruce Timm and Paul Dini were behind a lot of that, and definitely put a nice look/twist on it all).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-02-14 at 18:34.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-26, 18:03

Well, playing off my previous post, and Wonder Woman 1984.

Do you ever watch a movie and just think "checkbox" and "by committee"? This would be one.

Nothing like the first one, which I find strange...same director, same main lead actors. The writers are different, so I guess that's where the answer lies.

It doesn't merit its own standalone review/discussion, which is why I tacked it on to this general, catch-all movie thread.

If you enjoyed the first one, three years ago, you'll probably find this a bit "off". If, on the other hand, you think DC/WB is the height of superhero/comic book moviemaking, I guess you'll like it. All four of you.

It's just weird that a movie a) about Wonder Woman, and b) with Kristen Wiig(!) and Pedro Pascal(!!) in supporting roles could be so "yeah, and...?" I know I say this a bit (in recent years, especially), but shit...give me $150-200M, a few cameras and a dedicated crew and I'll make you a good movie, I promise...Star Wars, Wonder Woman, Superman, 007, whatever. I could not do any worse than some of these recent entries, I know that. I just couldn't.

Whatever I may lack in directing chops (plenty ), I figure I'll at least make up for in putting together a coherent, fun story. Good grief...there's just no charm or soul to some of these things. And you can tell they're made to try and please every sensibility and market on the planet. And that just isn't possible. Now more than ever. And you just wind up with...nothing. Because you don't want to piss off/alienate China or rile up/offend various activist groups, you get these bland, by-the-numbers outings that nobody can truly buy into or get excited about. That's what mainstream moviemaking has become, it seems..."checking boxes" and "by committee", the very first things I mention above.

That's not how it's supposed to work, but when you're spending $200-300M on some of these things, "taking bold creative risks" isn't among the priorities, I realize.

It continues to amaze me how DC/WB, with all the resources and talent at their disposal (lots), just can't seem to find their footing on these things. They've made Superman look like a complete useless chump across three separate movies. They've put out a version of Batman most people can't seem to give less of a shit about, and now, after a promising, fun debut in 2017, they've made me realize I don't care if I ever see another Wonder Woman movie again.

Listen, a solid third (maybe more?) of the MCU output is barely-watchable noise, but at least they seem to "get it"...whatever they've been doing since 2008, with that first Iron Man movie, has obviously worked and resonates. They seem to have a clear vision of the characters, and cast the right people to play them and they've built this huge thing off of that. It's pretty amazing when you think of all they've accomplished in less than 12 years...the characters they've brought to the live-action big screen, and bringing them all together in the ways they have. Nobody would've dreamed of that just 15 short year ago..."wait, you're gonna have Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor and Spider-Man, and a bunch of others, all together in a movie? Several movies? Yeah, right...keep dreaming, pal!"

But they did it.

These "shared universe" DC/WB entries, since Man of Steel, just aren't anything like that. And you can tell they're trying so hard to be. You almost kinda feel sorry for them.

"Awww, maybe the next one, guys...".

How do you screw up Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman? Is there not enough source material and lore to go on, to help guide you in their portrayal/presentation? When you think about how much time and money are spent on these things, it really makes these odd "misses" stand out. They had something really cool to play off/continue with, and they just kinda dropped it.

If you can catch it on HBO Max, you can make that call...it might be worth a sitting for you. But I cannot recommend going to the theater, filling out the financial aid forms required to do so these days and risk catching a whiff of the COVID with your Twizzlers. It just ain't worth it.

When you find yourself waiting for something to hit its stride and "kick in", and it never does, that's a horrible way to experience a movie. Of any kind. But especially something like this. I really liked that first entry three years ago, so I went into this primed to enjoy it and genuinely looking forward to seeing this character again. So I was not "set on go" to dislike it at all (I knew J.J. Abrams didn't direct it, etc.).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-26 at 18:51.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-26, 18:56

I had no expectations going in, and plenty of complaints heading out. Here we are in the age of complex storytelling, and they give us a script that seems to have been written in 1993.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-26, 20:50

Yeah, that's kinda how it hit. I can't put my finger on it 100%, but it just felt..."off", or lacking. The whole time I'm sitting there thinking "what are they doing?". Was that first one a fluke? It didn't feel like it to me. I didn't buy into all the outside stuff it generated, I just simply liked the movie/character (the same way I liked Captain America, The Rocketeer, Indiana Jones, etc....I'm a sucker for that pre-50's stuff, even those WW2017 was more WWI, but you know what I'm saying...first-half of the 20th century appeals to me more than the latter half, for sure).

It'll be interesting to see how other reviews/impressions go.

The numbers certainly won't be there, but that's only fair. You can't judge box office takes now the way you could a year ago, of course.

But I've read four reviews so far and three of them were more on the negative side. The most positive one was mostly just kinda neutral than anything. So I'm not seeing that effusive, over-the-top praise and acclaim I did three years ago, but I kinda suspected, much like Black Panther, that a lot of that was for reasons outside the story/plot/writing/acting (and more about real-life rah-rah and political/cultural factors).

But why would that change now? Are reviewers realizing maybe a lot of them came across a bit "bought-and-paid-for" and excessive several years ago? Or are they just making a better effort to be honest/straightforward since there's not much going on right now in their line of work?

"Hey, I can't be over-the-top with my bullshit like I used to...there ain't anything to bullshit about, and each review I write carries more weight now because there aren't as many..."?

Honest question. Everyone else's lives/jobs have changed, why wouldn't that of critics/movie reviewers (professional and amateur alike).

Just so I'm clear: I didn't hate this movie, but I didn't like it anywhere close to how I enjoyed the first one, and I have no plans to ever watch it again. It was about like the second Thor movie...one and done, nothing really stuck with me. It was missing something. I don't know how else to frame it. It's a good, enjoyable character and I like how Gal Gadot plays her. Like a lot of characters, she just needed a better movie to appear in. She seems a bit wasted.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-26 at 21:10.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-12-26, 21:31

Haven't seen WW and probably won't get to it for a while.

But small plot holes or slow story can be forgiven if the movie is really fun to watch. Marvel gets this, DC doesn't.
Warner hasn't yet found its Dave Filoni, who can fix plot holes in subsequent outings.

I personally think they need a palate cleanser that is so bizarrely fun that it reboots all expectations.

Give us a fun, Hallmark-style, rural-meets-urban, discover-the-real-meaning-of-Christmas, romantic date movie. Set in the DC universe.

Green Arrow and Black Canary?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-26, 21:51

It couldn't hurt at this point, seriously. Why not?

DC/WB's mistake was doing the "us too!" thing and trying to out-Marvel Marvel when they probably should've just carved their own path, avoided comparisons and didn't fast-track the whole "team up" thing the way they did. They tried to do in two movies/two years what Marvel had spent 4-5 years (and as many movies) building toward. And it showed.

It was never going to work.

They were playing Samsung to Marvel's Apple, aping the surface-only aspects but missing all the important underlying stuff.