User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Borked
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-02-02, 10:48

what is the origin of the term "borked"?

is it Robbie Borka, one of the TA's from NCSU?

i remember hearing about the termed borked back on brentroad.com back in the day.... but now that is see it on here i wonder if it has the same etymology..... i know there are a bunch of NC peeps on here too..... and at least a few who claim NCSU as their alma mater
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-02-02, 10:50

I use borked all the time, along with horked. I've never been to NC, or anywhere on the east coast. No idea where I got it from, or if it was spontanious.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-02, 10:54

"Borked" is a term that's at least five or six old. I suspect it came about as most leet-speek was born from the evolution of the Internet. It's probably much older than that, but became more popular during this era. I've seen it in chats and web pages for years; it's hardly specific to North Carolina or NCSU and definitely not your TA.

edit: Heck, even UrbanDictionary has "bork" posted from 2001; so, it must be much older than that.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-02-02, 10:55

5-6 would be about right... i first saw it my freshman year at NCSU which would be fall of 2000 or spring of 2006

this isn't his first account from back in the day on the website but this is the only screenname i can remember belonging to the borka

http://www.brentroad.com/photo_folder.aspx?user=9350

he was a bit of a tool on their and people started using his named for things that were fucked up

urban dictionary's first entry for Bork is from October 17th 2001...... i've heard it before then in reference to the TA from NCSU.....

it also lists borka as meaning the same thing

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=borka

another reference for robbie borka

http://bitterwaitress.com/std/index....tail=1&id=1324

Last edited by intlplby : 2006-02-02 at 11:05.
¡Damned!

2006-02-02, 10:56

No, it has to do with SCJ nominee Robert Bork.

Here ya go.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-02, 10:56

The new phrase is "Alito-ed".

EDIT: ha...709 and me, same time, same train of thought.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-02, 11:02

Borked is probably my favorite webism / tech jargon word. But I always thought it came from the Crazy Chef on the Muppets. "Mmm bork, Bork, BORK!"

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-02, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby
urban dictionary's first entry for Bork is from October 17th 2001...... i've heard it before then in reference to the TA from NCSU.....
Really, I think you're reading into this whole "TA from NCSU" too much.

broke
borke
bork

bork = broke. borked/borken = broken. Simple as that.

I should add that I'm a second-year senior at NCSU, staring also from fall of 2000, and I've never once heard "bork" in reference to the guy you mentioned.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-02-02, 11:10

gg, 709

Robbie Borka's first screenname on there was panthersny
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-02, 11:13

Whenver I see Bork, I think of the justice noimnee Robert Bork.

A perfect fit.

intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-02-02, 11:15

i just check your website, brad..... i think i've met you..... what is your major and what dorm were you in freshman year?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-02, 11:21

Computer science, of course. Over the years, it's been Sullivan, then Bragaw, then off campus.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2006-02-02, 11:22

Like everyone is saying... it came from the strategy used against Reagan's justice nominee Robert Bork in 1987.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-02-02, 11:33

I assumed it came from Bork's abortive try at the Supreme Court back in the Reagan years, though I like to think it has more to do with:

Mmm... bork! bork!

(Seriously, who the flying fig is this NCSU dude? Never heard of him in NJ, NY, Rome or anywhere else I've heard the term used.)
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-02-02, 11:36

Robert Bork, 1987?

Then where were the instances of popular usage in the 1990's?

I've only seen it used in the leetspeak way, involving web pages, computers, or other digital drudgery.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-02, 11:36

I still say it came from the Muppets.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2006-02-02, 12:14

FFL it's stiill used in political talk... was referenced during the Roberts and Alito nominations recently. I think it has mutated into something else at some point by people who may not have known it's origins. At face value "borked" does sound like something is messed up, broken etc.

There are some references in the Robert Bork Wiki as to it's possible first use as verb...

Quote:
According to the New York Times, the verb to bork might be defined as "to destroy a judicial nominee through a concerted attack on his character, background and philosophy." [1]
The best known use of the verb to bork occurred in July 1991 at a conference of the National Organization for Women in New York City. Feminist Florence Kennedy addressed the conference on the importance of defeating the nomination of Clarence Thomas to the U.S. Supreme Court. She said, "We're going to bork him." [2] Thomas was subsequently confirmed after one of the nastiest confirmation fights in Supreme Court history.

Shhhh, I can't see!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-02-02, 13:03

I've always seen b0rked in the same light as pr0n, or t3h.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-02-03, 14:15

i was in sullivan freshman year.... 407B .... that's probably where i met you.... i was a physics major for 2 years before i did study abroad...... where you in the honors or scholars program