User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

3rd Party iPhone Apps Question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
3rd Party iPhone Apps Question
digitaldave

2007-09-18, 14:26

Sorry if this is a daft question, but are 3rd party iPhone apps binaries installed on the iPhone, or web based apps accessed through the internet?

Thanks .
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-18, 14:40

They're web apps. I created a folder in Safari where I've bookmarked a few (Wi-Fi finder, movie times/locations, sports ticker, etc.) and I access them via Safari on the iPhone. The only standalone apps are Apple ones.

I know there are some hacks and stuff floating around out there, but I don't have any or use them (not into chasing my tail everytime Apple releases an update and it breaks all this third-party hack stuff).
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-09-18, 14:58

Yea, there seems to be a growing hacker community building apps for the iPhone, but you have to jailbreak your phone and get Installer.app on there in order to manage 3rd party apps installed directly on your iPhone. These seem to be growing in number and quality, enough that I'm starting to consider opening my iPhone too.

There are also people building iPhone-specific websites as pscates mentioned. These are a bit slower in loading and execution since they have to be downloaded every time you want to use them and the iPhone's Javascript implementation seems to be lacking according to benchmark reports I've read.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-09-18, 14:58

Officially supported/approved iPhone apps are web-based and accessed through Safari.

There are no official third party SDKs from Apple. Third party native/offline iPhone apps exist, but they are essentially reverse-engineered to go on there. Apple turns a blind eye to them, and it's use-at-your-own-risk. Apple won't won't try to break these apps, and they won't try not to either.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-09-18, 15:04

Well, after 2 days with an iPhone I can't really think of an app that I'd want within the constraints of the implementation.

If there was a bluetooth GPS module/app, yeah, and other apps might be OK if they could use a full sized keyboard, but other than that I'd just stick with a laptop.
digitaldave

2007-09-18, 15:28

Thanks for clearing that up .
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-09-18, 23:15

I love using nullriver's AppTapp (http://iphone.macworld.com/2007/09/i...he_next_ge.php)

I have installed a Voice Recorder on my iPhone which is really helpful. I also have the Lights Off game as well (a good time-waster). The other thing I downloaded is an AIM chat client.

I highly recommend AppTapp. Read the Macworld link I posted above if you are interested. It explains the process of putting it on your phone (for me, it took like 10 minutes) as well as various tips and suggestions.

Deal with it.

Last edited by sirnick4 : 2007-09-18 at 23:32.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-09-18, 23:27

I have AppTap as well.

It's awesome. It's not really getting that deep into "hacking" your phone.

The Installer.app really feels as if it would be something that Apple would put on the iPhone to install things.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-09-18, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
I have AppTap as well.

It's awesome. It's not really getting that deep into "hacking" your phone.

The Installer.app really feels as if it would be something that Apple would put on the iPhone to install things.
Completely agree. It's fascinating, really. Some people went through a LOT of trouble to make this. They did an excellent job.