User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

eSata Express Card issues and I need a new one.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
eSata Express Card issues and I need a new one.
surjones

2008-06-02, 16:26

okay I have a eSata II Port ExpressCard - SC-SAEE12-S1

SO I dont know what it is called but when the computer turned grey and the power button with multi languages comes on the screen and makes you hardboot your computer - I call it the Japanese screen of Death. Anyways, It has to do with that card, It only happens when I have it it and I have a 2.5 seagate external hooked up to it. sometimes just sitting there it just gives me the Japanese screen of death.

So what effects does that have on my MacBookPro3,1 with 4gb RAM and leopard? Also which should I replace it with. (also a note, I heard it would be better using FW800 port cause the Expresscard is hooked up to the USB port so you wont get more than USB speeds, again I dont know, still a noob.

thanks
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-06-02, 16:42

I don't know about the eSATA Express Card, but the grey screen thingy is called a "kernel panic" and if it repeats itself more than a once in a while it's bad news if you can't find or fix the cause.
surjones

2008-06-02, 16:47

okay, so what does the kernel panic do in the long run?
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-06-02, 17:12

It doesn't do anyting exactly, it just means that the computer isn't shut down properly, which may corrupt something (if it was saving something to the harddrive at the same moment), and you will of course lose any unsaved data.

The error may be caused by bad drivers, or bad hardware. Try reinstalling the drivers (if there are any) or testing the card in another MacBook Pro.

ExpressCard is hooked up via PCI Express, not USB or FireWire. It's kind of a mix between the old PCMCIA cards and a PCI card for a desktop computer.

Doesn't your external harddrive support USB? If it does, just use that.

Converted 07/2005.
surjones

2008-06-06, 15:19

I wanted to drop in and say I have the issue resolved. I took back the SiiG and got a Sonnet OMG - no issues!