User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

12 inch powerbook, to buy or not to buy? (need decision making help)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
12 inch powerbook, to buy or not to buy? (need decision making help)
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-08-18, 15:45

I gave my iBook G4 to my father, so now I am using my old iBook 500. Originally I was planning to get the 12inch powerbook when I go back to the USA which is at the end of this month.

BUT....

Is this the right time to buy?

•There has been reportings that the product code of 2 new powerbooks are in the 10.3.5 update, which colud mean an update soon.

•Think secret says that the supply of 12 powerbook seems to be going down, which also points at an update soon.

•There's that article on IBM's site about the powertune technology and how the processor is ready for use in powerbooks.

The latest I can wait to is about November, December if there is good evidence.

I guess the big question here is realistically, when are the G5 powerbooks due, and how significant the additions will be.

So is end of the month a good time to get a 12inch powerbook?

I'm really undecided and could really have some expert advice.
Thanks in advance.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-08-18, 16:27

Well, I can't help you with looking into the future. I'll leave that to people more capable than I.
I can say that the 12" PB is one hell of a nice laptop. I've had one for 3 or so months and love most everything about it. I would go ahead and buy one.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-18, 16:33

I'm waiting on the same decision. How long until I buy a new PB. Can I outwait the rev.
My gut tells me MWSF is the most likely intro of G5 PBs, but perhaps only the 17 to start.
Optimistic rev dates might creep to November, but more info might surface post iMac G5.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-08-18, 16:56

I just bought a powerbook last week. Personally it was the right time. The "cram and jam" special lowered the cost of the 12" considerably since I was able to sell the iPod at a reasonable profit. The bottom line is: are you willing to wait for the revision? If you're not, then you might as well buy sooner rather than later. If you are, then you wait.
hype.it

Send a message via AIM to hype.it Send a message via MSN to hype.it  
2004-08-18, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
I'm waiting on the same decision. How long until I buy a new PB. Can I outwait the rev. My gut tells me MWSF is the most likely intro of G5 PBs, but perhaps only the 17 to start. Optimistic rev dates might creep to November, but more info might surface post iMac G5.
Until Apple works out a way to effectively cool the G5 processor without huge bulky heat-sinks and masses of piping, the PowerBook G5 will remain a myth. You know how warm a PowerBook can get? On battery use and high demanding applications, the core temp can reach 50-60°C. Idles around 38-41.5°C and this is for a 1.25 GHz.

I think the possibility of a Dual G4 in a PowerBook is more likely. It'll be interesting to see what the PC community would do if that's the case. But then again with Tiger coming next year, i think i'll be wiser for apple to complete the line with true 64 Bit systems.

what's this line for?

•-› blogMacMeetupOSXUnixWhPaws!
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-08-19, 05:12

yikes, check out macrumors.com about the new dual core powerbook g4 rumor.

if that comes, when would it be?
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-08-19, 05:30

i got a 12inch pbook for my bro 2 weeks ago. 1500$ plus a 150$ mail in rebate and bluetooth and wifi built in. i think it was an excellent deal. about upgrading the pbooks? its possible they would before schools start, but i think it might be before christmas..

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-19, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
The bottom line is: are you willing to wait for the revision? If you're not, then you might as well buy sooner rather than later. If you are, then you wait.
stevegong: I'll second the bottom line stated by torifile. Do you really want to hobble along on your iBook/500 until December? January? March? You just can't know!

I bought my Rev.C 12-inch PowerBook a month ago, three months after it was introduced. Even if a 12-inch PowerBook G5 were released today I would have no regrets. That month of increased productivity would already have been worth it for me.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
chipz

2004-08-19, 09:25

If you really want the 12" PB now is the time to buy. The G5 is delayed because of problems dissipating the heat that proc puts out. I have a Rev A 12" PB with the 867 MHz proc and I am very happy with it. The additional power is not needed unless you are doing real power intensive apps like heavy duty photo work, etc.

TCAT