Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Request a writing app.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Request a writing app.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-04-26, 18:40

Please request a simple writing app that can handle .rtf. I need to be able to write stories, talks, and on occasion, screenplays and utilize all the formating options that all of those different forms require. Though, I don't need anything full featured like MS or Neo Office, but I also need something a little more then TextEdit. I played with the demo of Pages that came with my Mac but that has long expired and I don't really feel like spending the money. TextMate is ok, but pretty much on a different path then what I'm looking for. I know there is the perfect little app out there, I just haven't found it yet. Thanks everyone.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-04-26, 18:45

Perhaps you could clarify what TextEdit is lacking?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-04-26, 20:19

Hmmm - this might sound like an odd suggestion, but have you tried Omni Outliner? If it came with your Mac, then you have a good (and free) program there waiting to be explored. It is primarily an outliner, but it can also be used as a writing tool for stories and screenplays as well.

Or - if collaborating, have you tried the last (free) version of Sub Etha Edit?

All I want is a simple life
twitter
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-04-26, 20:31

Have you considered google docs? Just can't run in safari.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-04-26, 21:25

If you want to write (referring to the applications you specify in your original post), then Write Room is the way to go IMHO.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-04-26, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
If you want to write (referring to the applications you specify in your original post), then Write Room is the way to go IMHO.
I looked up this WriteRoom and I have to say, I'm impressed they included links to their competitors. That is pretty cool in my opinion. While WriteRoom isn't exactly what I was looking for, this Scrivener app looks like it will clearly get the job done. I really like the outline/corkboard options and the full screen is a nice distraction free method. Thanks guys.

Website | Twitter
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-04-26, 22:26

Glad you found something.. It's the 'full screen no frills' feature which I like in Write Room, so I'll take a look at Scrivener too.
justG

2007-04-27, 08:23

You might also consider Journler. It's a donationware app that can be used as a writing tool and/or personal information manager. It's sort of in between apps like Yojimbo/SOHO Notes and WriteRoom/Scrivener/Mellel/Ulysses.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-04-27, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by justG View Post
You might also consider Journler. It's a donationware app that can be used as a writing tool and/or personal information manager. It's sort of in between apps like Yojimbo/SOHO Notes and WriteRoom/Scrivener/Mellel/Ulysses.
Wow, I've never seen that before. I think I might have just found my new note-taking app. Thanks!
Gizzer

2007-04-27, 08:49

CopyWrite is a good (and cheap) book/scriptwriting app.

There is also Montage which looks good, although I've not had time to give it a real play with. It also has pre-formatted script templates that different movie studio's/tv companies prefer them in.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-04-27, 10:30

I'm really impressed by Scrivener - great thread jdcfsu.

Just want to add that the developer seems very meticulous and has created a bonafide cocoa app (not some port) which really makes excellent use of Tiger (10.4 based) technologies. His code seems pretty watertight too, as it should be for an app of this nature.

Oh yeah, it reminds me of Coda in some ways ... but for writers.

twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2007-04-27 at 10:30. Reason: Posts merged
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-04-27, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
I'm really impressed by Scrivener - great thread jdcfsu.
I am to. I just wrote a 1000 word talk on it and it's great. The note card idea is perfect for collecting thought and ordering them into an outline and then the full screen writing idea (again what Write Room seems to do) is wonderful. Thanks again for the suggestions guys.

Website | Twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-04-27, 10:40

I don't want to offend you jdcfsu, but after having spent the better part of today checking out various writing packages, I feel compelled to ask you to please fix the typos in your post.

twitter
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2007-04-27, 17:55

I use Journler which is great.

I'm going to try Scrivener which looks fantastic for layout and possibly Avenir as well.

I'm interested in Montage for screenwriting. Perhaps there's a 2.0 program coming. It seems to have improved a lot since it's debut.

omgwtfbbq
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-04-27, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
I'm interested in Montage for screenwriting. Perhaps there's a 2.0 program coming. It seems to have improved a lot since it's debut.
I tried that, and it's great, especially all the built in format templates, but it's a little expensive when compared to something like Scrivener which has simple screenwriting built in. It's a nice app though.

Website | Twitter