User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
G3/g4/g5
Meadowfield

2005-01-19, 17:39

It is time, once again, to brush up on my eBay selling skills and post my PM1.25 Dual for sale to make room for a G5. Now, I certainly am not a power user, but rather unequivocally a certified MacAddict and I am fortunate enough to be able to participate in this exercise every two years or so. I'll be the first to admit I don't need to move up to one. I just want to.

The last time I did this I moved from a Graphite SE G3 and frankly was a little disappointed. Oh sure it was quicker, but I still noticed the delay in the drop down menu every once in a while, for instance. Or the error chime sometimes taking its to get out. I probably have never punched the gas on this puppy with the likes of Safari or Quicken but Elements seems to run without complaint.

I guess what I am asking is what should I expect? I had my eyes on the PM 1.8 Dual but perhaps I should wait until the line is refreshed and the 2.0 becomes the base. When is this expected? And, given my hang up with gui and general "snappyness" of the system should I just buy my time with a new Alu monitor and pretend I've got a new pc for the time being? Hell, maybe X4 will be pre-installed by then!

Your thoughts are encouraged.

Thanks,

Paul
Wrao
Yarp

2005-01-19, 17:47

Never underestimate the effect of RAM on 'snappiness'
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-19, 17:50

I've used many different Macs and I have to say the performance gap between a G3 iMac and a dual 1.25 GHz G4 is huge. If you couldn't notice it, then there is absolutely no way in hell you'll notice the difference between your dual G4 and any G5. In fact, I'd say wait until the G6 comes out, and I'm not joking.

EDIT: Oh yeah, purchasing advice goes in General Discussion.

Last edited by Luca : 2005-01-19 at 18:22.
Meadowfield

2005-01-21, 18:44

Well, that wasn't exactly very helpful, was it? Let's try it again...

I'm getting a G5 soon. Does anybody know of any reason why I should wait a little longer?

ps: Wrao, with Safari, Mail, iChat, Address Book, Quicken and Activity Monitor open I have 76MB of 512MB free memory, 263MB inactive and only 55MB wired. Isn't this enough?!
Meadowfield

2005-02-04, 10:30

link removed
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-04, 11:17

What's your point for posting that link, Meadowfield? It has nothing at all to do with this thread and comes off looking like spam and trolling. In fact, I've removed the link. If you want to start a new discussion about the OS, start a new thread and don't just post a link or quote without contributing any material of your own.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-02-04, 13:38

If you want a G5, get the G5. Load it up with a ton of RAM (2 gigs) a big HD...ect. RAM is the most important thing. If you're looking to have the top of the line machine and you don't need to buy today than wait. The G5s will be updated at the very latest by the middle of June, possibly earlier.

If you don't want to wait, than buy now and be happy. eBay that dual G4 and put that money toward your purchase of the G5.

Come waste your time with me
Meadowfield

2005-02-05, 09:56

Sorry Brad, but the link had everything to do with my original query. The issue is general OS GUI snappiness. I thought it couldn't be more clear, and the link, which you may callously remove again, buttressed my contentions. It spoke for itself. Sure, feel free to disagree, but censor?! Nice neighborhood.

http://www.applematters.com/comments.php?id=274_0_1_0_C

And, thanks, Minooka, for your thoughts on ram. I've heard this before, but really, when is enough enough? 263MB inactive and only 55MB wired of 512MB total. Isn't this enough?!