User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

can the clock in my menu include the date?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
can the clock in my menu include the date?
critter

2005-08-16, 15:07

hellooo,
im using tiger and want my clock to include the date as well as the "Tue 4:02 PM"

when i click on it, it has "Tuesday, August 16, 2005" but it is greyed out.
ive clicked "Open Date & Time" and the checkbox is checked "Show the date and time" but the date isn't shown in my menu bar.

is there any way to change this? i just want to be able to glance up and see what the date is.

thanks in advance :-)
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-16, 15:11

You aren't able to see the numeric date in your menu bar, however, if you want to you are able to see the date you can change to display a floating window. I know it's not what you want, and it's probably less convenient than what you have to go through now to see the numeric date, but that's how it is AFAIK. Sorry.

Come waste your time with me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-16, 15:12

With Apple's standard menu clock, no, you cannot do this.

There are third-party menu clocks with additional features, though. Here are a few.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-08-16, 15:18

I can seriously recommend object park's menucalendarclock. You may even find yourself satisfied with the unregistered version that they offer for free.
critter

2005-08-16, 16:26

thank you folks
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-08-17, 04:40

Got Tiger?

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50508000838365

Last edited by Gargoyle : 2005-08-17 at 04:42.
Swing

2005-08-18, 09:08

This does not do exactly what you ask, but I had the same desire and so in Preferences went into Acounts and specified iCal as a log-in item (so that it starts automatically).

So at least the date in the iCal dock icon is always correct, and you save menu bar space. Of course, you are using system resources via this method and so if you do not use iCal it is probably a bad idea in any event.

EDIT: I use the analog clock in the menu bar and so I think some of the customization parameters which may otherwise solve that menu bar issue are not available. And so I went the iCal dock route.

Last edited by Swing : 2005-08-18 at 09:14.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-08-18, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing
This does not do exactly what you ask, but I had the same desire and so in Preferences went into Acounts and specified iCal as a log-in item (so that it starts automatically).

So at least the date in the iCal dock icon is always correct, and you save menu bar space. Of course, you are using system resources via this method and so if you do not use iCal it is probably a bad idea in any event.

EDIT: I use the analog clock in the menu bar and so I think some of the customization parameters which may otherwise solve that menu bar issue are not available. And so I went the iCal dock route.
Damn Swing! That hint is so obvious I can't believe I've never thought of it before! I always had used dashboard to tell me the date. And I've always got iCal open! That makes life a ton easier...

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Swing

2005-08-18, 13:58

torifile, glad you like that one. I think the iCal dock icon is super cool for this very reason. I almost went the dashboard route too before I had one of those V-8 experiences.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-08-18, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Very slick.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-19, 08:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
I can seriously recommend object park's menucalendarclock. You may even find yourself satisfied with the unregistered version that they offer for free.
Would very much second that - a great little app and an indispensable addition to iCal.
Swing

2005-08-19, 13:00

Mac+ and FranzJosef, that is a nice litle app. Very nice!

EDIT: After a few days I may even remove iCal from the dock.

Last edited by Swing : 2005-08-19 at 13:01.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-08-19, 13:09

Yeah - take it from the dock. It's not really needed. You can access all you want from the menu bar now ... and if you double click on a date it will launch iCal for you anyway.

I love this app and since I have not upgraded to Tiger (hence, no widgets) it is a must have for me. I paid the shareware fee too - gives access to a few extra features and, besides, it's just good karma.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-08-19, 14:53

I had trouble getting the OSXHints um.. hint.. to work. One of the other posters in their page said to leave the seconds enabled, so I dragged it back into the formatting area, and now it works.