Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac 2021
Page 11 of 11 First Previous 7 8 9 10 [11]  Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-24, 07:24

So true. I have no reason to open any of the computers anymore, save the current Intel mini for a RAM upgrade.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-24, 07:59

Unfortunate that we can no longer do our own RAM and hard drive upgrades, but those days are long gone…at least on the Macs most “normal” (non-pro) people are buying.

All we can hope for is some of that steep BTO pricing to slide down a bit over time. $200 to go from 8 to 16GB RAM still strikes me as quite high. But it’s probably a nice chunk of their income so it’ll likely remain as is. Or, to my horror and dismay, go up

Apple isn’t a “leave money on the table” type of outfit. It’s why they have eleventy-teen bazillion dollars and are in the healthy position they’re in!
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-24, 14:57

It does amount to a price increase on the consumer though.

Before, you could have bought a machine with the minimum RAM and HD and splurged on the screen size and graphics card, knowing you could upgrade the first two later on.

Now you have to buy it all in one swoop.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-24, 17:20

Well aware of this, and I have bitched-and-groused here extensively on the matter.

I hate knowing "it's as good as it's ever gonna get" (and that you have to spend more than you'd like, and a nutty, painful premium) on the day of purchase vs. the "old days" of buying a stock model and then, on your timetable/budget, cramming it full of (affordable) RAM from Crucial, OWC, etc. (and also easily replace the hard drive down the road if needed). But, again, those days are gone and ain't coming back, so we just deal with it and factor it in to our buying budget (if you want a 16GB iMac, you better save up an extra $200).

I don't like it either, but they don't check with me on this stuff.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-06, 14:17

Those of you - kieran, etc. - who got one of these new 24" M1 iMacs. Months(?) later, what are your thoughts? Still pleased/impressed? Any regrets? Anything you'd do differently, BTO-wise? Happy with the speed and performance overall?

I'm gonna have to do something at some point and I'm eyeing those refurbs (looking for a silver 16/256 with the full 8/8 cores, four ports on back, etc. @$1,439), but I just want to hear any real-world thoughts from people I know/trust (more than random YouTubers or faceless bloggers who may not have "being honest" in their best interests; mindless cheerleaders and/or paid-for shills don't interest me) who've had enough real-life time with one that the first-day "OMG...this is the greatest thing that's ever been invented!!!" has eased a bit.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-06, 14:25

If I was going to buy one of these things for myself (and I plan to), I'd definitely opt for 16GB RAM and the 8-core GPU. For the extra ports, the extra fan, the ethernet. It would be worth it. A terabyte of storage, too.

The things are likely going to last a while, and I'd want it to be relevant for a good long time.

And I'd definitely stick with the yellow. It's awesome.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-10-07, 15:08

I could have sworn I replied to this earlier.

I love this thing still, probably more so than when I got it originally. It's just a great machine. I have the M1 MBP which is basically the same computer, but the display on this is just so nice.

I've run into a few RAM issues with the 16 GB, but that was when I was really pushing the thing. Converting movies, downloading, etc...

We also got one for my partner and she loves it as well. Hers is blue. Really were wanting the purple, but that was backordered at the time we needed so we just went to the store and bought it.

Definitely would recommend.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.