User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple Watch Series 7

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Watch Series 7
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-05, 02:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I’m surprised Apple didn’t increase prices for new products. TSMC is slated to raise prices for silicon based on the 5-7nm tech by $300 in the next few weeks due to supply shortages. I assume that means per 1000 units (0.03 cents US per unit). Not a big deal, but it does show how bad it’s getting.
Mac Rumors put it in a funny tautological way: “ The iPhone 13 Pro costs Apple around $20 more to build compared to last year's iPhone 12 Pro, but despite the lower margin of revenue for the company”. Like, yeah, that’s literally what “lower margin” means.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-05, 07:23

Yeah, the cost of glass and metals used in the frame likely had a bigger price jump than the silicon. Considering Apple’s markup on an iPhone 13 Pro is likely $400-500 over production cost, $20 is chump change.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-10-06, 05:02

When it was first announced, I was all about the new Apple Watch and planning on an upgrade, as I have the S4 currently. Now, I'm not so sure. It's a very underwhelming announcement. I might hold off another year.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-06, 05:44

Yeah, to me it's more of a "upgrade every ~4 years" product.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-10-06, 07:37

I have a S4 as well and I'm going to upgrade this year. Just want to finally get on the "always on" screen version.

I was really hoping the flat sided watch was going to come this year, but that didn't happen.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-06, 12:10

I will say going from my S4 to my S6 the always on is huge. Pulse ox is nice too, but the screen is such a perk when working out or you need to discreetly check the time without "waking" the Watch.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-06, 12:23

Does the always-on thing impact battery life in any real, noticeable way, or, Apple being Apple, have they figured out some cool, clever way around this?

I read a rumor a while back that future iPhones (2023, maybe?) will have this feature. I sure hope it's an option, can-turn-it-off kinda thing.
chucker

2021-10-06, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Does the always-on thing impact battery life in any real, noticeable way, or, Apple being Apple, have they figured out some cool, clever way around this?
They have.

The display on Watches with Always-On Display can change its refresh rate from 60 Hz all the way down to 1 Hz, depending on current requirements. So for always-on mode, it only actually updates once a second, which is fine if you're only casually glancing at it. But for regular mode, it updates 60 times a second, so animations can be smooth.

So, the cool, clever way around increased battery use that they needed a few years to implement is that while the display is always on, it doesn't update anywhere near as much as it usually would, which saves a lot of battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I read a rumor a while back that future iPhones (2023, maybe?) will have this feature. I sure hope it's an option, can-turn-it-off kinda thing.
Almost.

The iPhones 13 Pro sort of but not quite have this technology. They can change their refresh rate between 10 Hz, 60 Hz, and 120 Hz (and various steps in between), where 60 Hz is the traditional rate on the iPhone. 120 Hz looks (slightly) smoother yet, making something like scrolling feel even nicer. OTOH, you'll often have stuff that doesn't even need to update at 60 Hz. If you're watching a movie at 24 fps, the iPhone will now change to refresh at 24 Hz. If you're only staring at a bunch of text and not interacting with the screen, it goes down to 10 Hz.

So, for stuff where it matters, it now refreshes even more quickly, but for plenty of stuff, it refreshes less quickly. Which is part of why the video streaming battery life figures went way up between the 12 Pro and the 13 Pro: a typical video isn't 60 fps anyway, so the display can refresh a lot less now.

Now, as for the rumored feature, that would be one step further, and it is something some phones (e.g., Samsung) do, similar to the Watch's Always-On Display, where they go into a mode where you see a dim, simplified lock screen with the time and maybe a few other icons. It was theorized that these could be complications from the Watch, only scaled up to the iPhone screen. So you could have the current weather, your next calendar entry, whatever. (Samsung shows you the time, date, battery charge, and icons of apps that have recently sent you notifications. So, the phone will buzz when a notification comes in, you glance, and you see "oh, it's from app xyz, probably not important".)

It's still possible that this feature is yet to come without a hardware change, and that it just didn't make the cut for iOS 15. Maybe 16. Maybe 17. Or it could be that Apple is waiting until they can further slow down the display so they can reach 1-120 Hz instead of 10-120 Hz.

Or, it could be that the rumor was really wishcasting based on what some of the competition has been doing.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-07, 08:51

For the Watch it also drops the brightness to less than half (rough guess looking at it switch) when it goes to its "Always on" state. So not only does it update less frequently, it also goes pretty dark.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2021-10-07, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
For the Watch it also drops the brightness to less than half (rough guess looking at it switch) when it goes to its "Always on" state. So not only does it update less frequently, it also goes pretty dark.
Yeah, although that's gotten better, apparently.

It's a bit confusing from the specs. The Series 5 introduced the Always-On display. The Series 6 says "2.5 times brighter outdoors when your wrist is down". And the Series 7 says "70% brighter indoors when your wrist is down".

The display itself is cited as 1000 nits in all three cases (I think it's been that way since the Series 2? Series 1? I think the Series 0 had 500 nits, and at some point, they bumped it big time).

But for AOD mode… what does that mean? Why would indoors vs. outdoors matter? "2.5 times brighter" is probably Phil Schiller math and actually means 1.5 times brighter, and they're probably comparing to the Series 5 in both cases. Either way, that's still quite an improvement.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-07, 10:18

Interesting. Never knew any of that, not being a watch owner.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-10-08, 07:38

Wife and I ordered these this morning.

I got the midnight and she got the starlight.

Mine ships in two weeks and hers doesn't ship until the first week of November.

Crazy how even ordering 20 mins after pre-orders started that the ship dates had slipped already.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-10, 19:31

What size watch did you pick?

Why did you pick it?

Were you concerned it would be too big or too small?

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-10-11, 09:45

I got the 45 and wife got the 41. We've been doing that since the beginning. I get the large one and she gets the smaller one.

I probably could have gone with the smaller one and been fine, considering I've had a smaller watch before been ok, but I just felt like the bigger screen could be handy to have.

Definitely a little concerned that it could be too big, but no real way to find that out unless I wen tot an Appel Store and I won't be able to get to one for a while. Hopefully it sits on my wrist ok and doesn't seem too out of place.

The bigger screen is a big reason why I wanted to upgrade, along with the Always on display, so I figured I may as well go with the biggest available.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-11, 11:43

Thanks T. By the time I read your reply I pulled the trigger on ordering a new watch. It'll be here by Septocker the 43rd according to my receipt. By that time I'll probably forget that I ordered it and think that somebody sent me a gift!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-11, 12:41

Drunk at noon huh... Must be a great day for you!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-11, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Drunk at noon huh... Must be a great day for you!

Man, I miss the days when I could actually drink alcohol without it hurting me. Of course I lose far fewer things now, and have no need to issue apologies for off-color remarks. And I'll probably live longer.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
I have a younger cousin who is actually an alcoholic (and not an inept social drinker like I was) who is currently suffering from Wernicke's Encephalopathy and I'm worried she's going to die from it.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter