User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Eh...Wheres the iPod 40/80 gb?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Eh...Wheres the iPod 40/80 gb?
Kusakun

2005-10-13, 06:03

Well. Im pleased that a new iPod has arrived... But isn´t suppose to be a 40/80 gb ipod with the newest Toshiba Hard Drives?

As far as i know that could have help Apple to Shrink iPod a little bit more... And 20 more gb of room space related with music/photo/video would have been great!

So... the only thing Apple made is to rerelease an iPod with more capabilities and a newest case.

Anyway this ipod is amazing...

Last edited by Kusakun : 2005-10-13 at 08:08.
krestfallen

Send a message via ICQ to krestfallen  
2005-10-13, 06:14

i've read anywhere that the 80gig drives aren't ready, yet. don't know if this is true or not.

but i think the size is okay. watching videos on an even smaller screen wouldn't be fun i think.

perhaps they can increase the battery-life
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-10-13, 06:21

Lets think of it this way:

30GB: Enough space for those with 20GB to upgrade. 30GB won't take away from those who would get a 60GB, more like a 40GB iPod would since it looks like the 80GB drives are still not ready for primetime(I'm sure we will see one once video takes off and maybe even a bigger screen).

The one reason why they didn't upgrade to 30GB back when the iPods went color, is most likely they wanted to get rid of the left over 20GB Hard drives.

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...

Last edited by morningstarrising : 2005-10-13 at 06:41.
Kusakun

2005-10-13, 06:27

Well we will have to wait for 80 gb iPod video next year. Anyway this iPod update is great!

But Apple wanted to get rid of the 60 gb leftovers now??
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-10-13, 06:43

Now you get it!

Apple is no different then any other company when it comes to wanting to make a profit. And as you can see 37 cents goes a long ways...

And hey, all those iPod Photo HD had to do somewhere

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
Kusakun

2005-10-13, 08:11

Actually they have increased the audio playback -the battery is now 20hs-
krestfallen

Send a message via ICQ to krestfallen  
2005-10-13, 08:25

...but just on the 60GB version, right?
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-10-13, 09:01

i would rather they would have come up with a 40/80gb with no video playback then a 30/60 with video playback.

i mean the fact that with the 30gb u can only watch a video for 2 hours before the battery dies makes watching videos useless unless you are near a computer to keep it charged. and then i wouldnt want to watch the videos on my ipod would rather watch them on my computer.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-10-13, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
i would rather they would have come up with a 40/80gb with no video playback then a 30/60 with video playback.

i mean the fact that with the 30gb u can only watch a video for 2 hours before the battery dies makes watching videos useless unless you are near a computer to keep it charged. and then i wouldnt want to watch the videos on my ipod would rather watch them on my computer.
You're not going to be watching 2 hours of video on this one. What you're not getting here is that this is not the "video" iPod in the sense that you can put full-length movies on it. It may be possible to do so, but that's not what this revision is intended for. It's for music videos, podcasts, and tv shows, not much else. Apple's just testing the waters at this point to see if people would be willing to watch longer videos on an iPod.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-13, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
You're not going to be watching 2 hours of video on this one. What you're not getting here is that this is not the "video" iPod in the sense that you can put full-length movies on it. It may be possible to do so, but that's not what this revision is intended for. It's for music videos, podcasts, and tv shows, not much else. Apple's just testing the waters at this point to see if people would be willing to watch longer videos on an iPod.
Exactly. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Apple introduce an all-new "iPod video" at MWSF 2006, with a 4-5" screen, an 80GB hard drive, and better battery life for video. This is not the "iPod video," people - this is the fifth generation iPod. It's still focused on audio - Apple is just seeing if people would be interested in an "iPod video" with full-length movies (courtesy of an iTunes Movie Store).

EDIT: That said, the 5G iPod was pretty much exactly what I expected. It's nice and thin (thinner than the iPod mini!), with Nano-ish styling cues and a larger screen for video (not movie) playback. 30GB and 60GB...black and white...I only miscalculated the price (I was hoping Apple would drop the 60GB model to $349).
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-10-13, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Exactly. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Apple introduce an all-new "iPod video" at MWSF 2006, with a 4-5" screen, an 80GB hard drive, and better battery life for video. This is not the "iPod video," people - this is the fifth generation iPod. It's still focused on audio - Apple is just seeing if people would be interested in an "iPod video" with full-length movies (courtesy of an iTunes Movie Store).

EDIT: That said, the 5G iPod was pretty much exactly what I expected. It's nice and thin (thinner than the iPod mini!), with Nano-ish styling cues and a larger screen for video (not movie) playback. 30GB and 60GB...black and white...I only miscalculated the price (I was hoping Apple would drop the 60GB model to $349).

No, not MWSF, that is too soon, way to soon.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-13, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
Don't forget how soon the iPod photo was introduced after the iPod 4G.

As for the 80 GB drive, people are forgetting again that Apple needs to order in huge capacities. I.e., even if drives are ready (which is unclear), that doesn't mean enough drives are ready for Apple to order them in batches of millions.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-10-13, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker

As for the 80 GB drive, people are forgetting again that Apple needs to order in huge capacities. I.e., even if drives are ready (which is unclear), that doesn't mean enough drives are ready for Apple to order them in batches of millions.
The original 4G iPod didn't support viewing pictures.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-13, 14:33

Quote:
The original 4G iPod didn't support viewing pictures.

Quote:
From the very post you quoted.
i_love_ipods

2005-10-14, 01:42

I doubt we'll see another iPod update for awhile...but we can probably expect widescreen iPods with larger harddrives, and better battery life, etc...This iPod that was just released, is kind of like a tease....because everyone knows something better will come out...but it depends on how well this sells....But I could care less at this point....I love this new iPod!!!! Damn....credit card bill comes in a week....
NaplesX

Send a message via AIM to NaplesX  
2005-10-14, 07:19

But the real question is...

where is the iPod 250 and 500. That's what I want.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-10-14, 10:36

Quote:
I was also laughed at for suggesting that iTunes 6.0 would come 5 weeks after iTunes 5.0 debuted.

Hmm, it might NOT be too soon.
Kusakun

2005-10-14, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesX
But the real question is...

where is the iPod 250 and 500. That's what I want.

When they have it... It will come -but not in a near future because actually the biggest "small" hard drive in process is the 100 gb-
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-10-14, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusakun
When they have it... It will come -but not in a near future because actually the biggest "small" hard drive in process is the 100 gb-
I am so sick of your excuses!

People would have laughed a few years ago if someone had suggested that the iPod would be about 30% (Not really sure of the exact size difference) smaller than it was than and would hold 12 times the amount of music that it did than.

We went from this:

To this:

All within 5 years. Not only that, but with a 12 fold increase in capacity of the hard drive, better battery life, better screen, a huge reduction in the physical size and weight of the iPod, a drop in price, and a huge increase in the $ to space ratio. Life is good.

It's actually funny to see the looks on some people's faces when you tell them that the scroll wheel on the iPod used to move. Not click, but actually spin.

Come waste your time with me

Last edited by DMBand0026 : 2005-10-14 at 13:08. Reason: image way too big
chucker
‽

2005-10-14, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusakun
You're probably thinking of 2.5 inch drives, as in the typical laptop size. Those are available with 120 GB maximum capacity, though 100 GB is usually the maximum sold (120 is still rare).

This is a 1.8 inch drive, however. Both Hitachi and Toshiba currently cite 60 GB as the maximum available capacity. Not 80 GB, and certainly not 100 GB. Granted, 80 GB has been announced for a while, but it's certainly not available in large quantities.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-14, 14:30

Technically, I believe the 60GB drive is two 30GB drives (which is why it's thicker than the 30GB iPod). The 40GB drive is two 20GB drives - the biggest 1.8" drive is 30GB.

Toshiba has announced a 40GB 1.8" drive with that weird perpendicular recording technology. It's the largest size yet, although a 80GB drive would be able to just use two of them.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-14, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
I am so sick of your excuses!

People would have laughed a few years ago if someone had suggested that the iPod would be about 30% (Not really sure of the exact size difference) smaller than it was than and would hold 12 times the amount of music that it did than.

We went from this:

To this:

All within 5 years. Not only that, but with a 12 fold increase in capacity of the hard drive, better battery life, better screen, a huge reduction in the physical size and weight of the iPod, a drop in price, and a huge increase in the $ to space ratio. Life is good.

It's actually funny to see the looks on some people's faces when you tell them that the scroll wheel on the iPod used to move. Not click, but actually spin.
I agree - the 5G iPod would have looked unbelievably futuristic 5 years ago. Hell, it still looks rather sci-fi today.
chucker
‽

2005-10-14, 14:45

Quote:
Technically, I believe the 60GB drive is two 30GB drives (which is why it's thicker than the 30GB iPod). The 40GB drive is two 20GB drives - the biggest 1.8" drive is 30GB.

Toshiba has announced a 40GB 1.8" drive with that weird perpendicular recording technology. It's the largest size yet, although a 80GB drive would be able to just use two of them.
You mean platters, not drives. 1.8-inch-fitting platters are currently at 30 GB max and will soon be at 40 GB. 1.8-inch drives come in forms of either one or two platters, which you rightfully note have a rather large effect on their (and thus the iPod's) thickness.

For 3.5-inch (desktop / server) drives, having 3 or more platters is, I believe, not uncommon.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-14, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
You mean platters, not drives. 1.8-inch-fitting platters are currently at 30 GB max and will soon be at 40 GB. 1.8-inch drives come in forms of either one or two platters, which you rightfully note have a rather large effect on their (and thus the iPod's) thickness.

For 3.5-inch (desktop / server) drives, having 3 or more platters is, I believe, not uncommon.
Ack, said the wrong word. I knew it was platters. There's obviously not actually two separate drives within the iPod, or the size difference would be even more pronounced.
chucker
‽

2005-10-14, 15:45

Quote:
Ack, said the wrong word. I knew it was platters. There's obviously not actually two separate drives within the iPod, or the size difference would be even more pronounced.
No problem, just wanted to clarify it for others.