User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Insetring image into my thread in this forum. How?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Insetring image into my thread in this forum. How?
LINDA.p

2004-08-05, 22:12

I have a screenshot saved as .jpg.
However I still can't figure out how to include that .jpg into my thread because I'm not into HTML and all coding instructions are outside my field of knowledge, sorry for my ignorance...

For example, my thread window is set to Guided Mode and when I want to insert above mentioned .jpg I get a message
"Enter the text to be formatted"
and inside the field:
"img xxx img"

I have no idea what Applenova asks me , so, will be very glad if someone with HTML knowledge tell me what to do to complete this particular task:

I have a picture named "StrangeIcon" saved as .JPG on my desktop and want to include it in my thread in order to illustrate it.

What to do,STEP BY STEP,please?

(I use OS9.)

Thank you all in advance!

Linda
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-05, 22:23

First, you have to host the image somewhere on a server. There are so many options here, it's impossible to really explain it step-by-step. You need to have access to a web site that can host files and serve them publicly. Apple's .Mac is one example of hundreds. Most hosting services are not free.

Once you have the image hosted online, simply get the URL for the file (http://www.something.com/something/something.jpg) and put that URL between the IMG tags in a post here.

Here's an example...

I have a server running at brad.project-think.com. I upload an image to the server and and get the address. for example, http://brad.project-think.com/images-3/TextEditSnap003.png. I click the "insert image" icon above (), give it the address, and voila -- the post will display the image.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
LINDA.p

2004-08-05, 22:38

So,as I understand , the only way to include my image into my thread is to:
-first upload it in some host sever
- then, when prompted, to insert its URL into my thread, so Applenova will be able to get it from the server and open it in my thread.

Do I understand correctly?
Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
First, you have to host the image somewhere on a server. There are so many options here, it's impossible to really explain it step-by-step. You need to have access to a web site that can host files and serve them publicly. Apple's .Mac is one example of hundreds. Most hosting services are not free.

Once you have the image hosted online, simply get the URL for the file (http://www.something.com/something/something.jpg) and put that URL between the IMG tags in a post here.

Here's an example...

I have a server running at brad.project-think.com. I upload an image to the server and and get the address. for example, http://brad.project-think.com/images...ditSnap003.png. I click the "insert image" icon above (), give it the address, and voila -- the post will display the image.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-08-05, 22:45

yep. you got it. otherwise you can mail it to one of the admins, and we can host it for you.
LINDA.p

2004-08-05, 23:17

Thanks alcimedes!

Just one more thing I need to know:

How to email it (email address/link,etc) and should I tell the admiin what the pic is all about or it will be included automatically into my thread?

Thanks
Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
yep. you got it. otherwise you can mail it to one of the admins, and we can host it for you.
beast_cb

2005-07-28, 05:40

u could use this image hosting site if u want to upload it: http://www.tools4images.net
hope it helps ya!