Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The instrument of my death
Page 2 of 5 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-06-13, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
That right there was the stupid bit. Hopefully he didn't hurt anyone else while removing himself from the gene pool.
Most definitely.

Although one coworker of mine who was sober and wearing all of her safety equipment (she was a volunteer EMT so she'd seen enough to wear helmets, chaps, etc.) his a spot of sand on a highway exit. She lost control of her bike, smashed her helmeted head into the metal guard rail and died on the spot.

A friend of mine cannot completely straighten his arm because he rolled his bike while going around a corner. This guy has been riding bikes as long as I've been alive and has been stone cold sober for 1/2 that time and still managed to mess his arm up good. Again, wearing safety equipment, blah blah blah.

You just have to accept there is a higher accident/damage/fatality probability on a motorcycle compared to a cage on wheels. Riding a motorcycle will make you a better defensive driver though.
beardedmacuser

2006-06-13, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
Riding a motorcycle will make you a better defensive driver though.
Absolutely! In order to get a driving licence I'd like it to be mandatory to have to ride a motorbike for a week.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-13, 14:34

Totally. Motorcycle risk > car risk.

However. Motorcycle - helmet - safety gear stupidity > just about anything else, please exit the gene pool at your earliest convenience, thank you.

Add to that Motorcycle/car + alcohol stupidity > just about anything else, please exit the gene pool at your earliest convenience, thank you.

And ditto on the defensive driving. I am a *much* better auto driver after driving a bike for a couple of years.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-06-13, 14:48

Makes total sense to me. You learn to see - and appreciate - the road (and those on it) when viewed from a more unprotected, two-wheeled perspective.

I'd love to have one some day, but I'm not sure about around here. People drive like complete imbeciles where I live. I wouldn't last two months.

Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-06-13, 15:01

Quote:
And yet they're smart enough to figure out how to pull down 7 figures annually...
And yet he was/is willing to give all that up just to ride a bike without a helmet.

Also is there anybody in the world who would ever take Murbot's liver?

*edit* Looks like he didn't even have a license

And All That Could Have Been
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-13, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
People drive like complete imbeciles where I live. I wouldn't last two months.
Me neither. Many people in my area refer to US 75 as "Central Crashway". Seems like hardly a day goes by that there's not a wreck somewhere on there. In fact, I was almost involved in two within about a month of each other a couple years back.
xionja

2006-06-13, 15:18

Congratulations murbotski! You've picked the coolest way to die. A nice bike too.

Haha, I'm living and motorcycling around Pittsburgh right now, I can't tell you how many times I've heard today "You put that helmet on, be smarter than Ben" or some variant.

Murbot: I have a Shoei helmet too. The best money can buy, but shit, its your head, so you might as well.

On another note, I've never seen that Ducati gt1000 before. It is hot. I want that bike. Haha, but I'm still mastering the little rebel.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-06-13, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
When I win the lottery, this will be among my first "go nuts and treat myself" purchases.

In metallic copper-y orange, of course.

It's TOTALLY me: retro/vintage, simple and straightforward, looks like nothing else out there and doesn't look like it's "trying too hard".

Like someone stuck an engine under an old Schwinn.

I want a bike that looks like it's going 100mph even while it's standing still, that thing looks like it could use a good push.

Very stylish though, I have to say that I do like that aspect of it.

I drool over that bike daily.

Come waste your time with me
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-13, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
I want a bike that looks like it's going 100mph even while it's standing still

Okay, so the 'Click here' part doesn't work, but just head here.

(Yes, those are the headlights.)
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-06-13, 15:57

Well, that works. The problem is though that I can't afford a Ducati, as much as I'd love one. I'm looking for a used Honda while I drool over the new ones. I usually begin to cry around the time I get an insurance quote, it's bad enough buying car insurance as a 21 year old single male, it's atrocious buying motorcycle insurance. I try to justify it by saying that I'd save money on gas, but the differences are negligible.

murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-13, 16:07

Bike insurance is crazy. I called 6 places I think. One wanted $1600 a year, paid up front, 4 wouldn't insure me because the bike was on a "restricted list" or "we don't touch sportbikes".

The last place I called insured me for $700 a year, and I can pay monthly. Plus the office was run by three young women, 2 of which had huge boobs, and the third was this hot thin thing.

This is all with me being over 30, never having had an insurance claim, no accidents, and one speeding ticket on my 3-year driver's abstract, from a year and a half ago (it was a 2 demerit instead of the regular three I found out, because I was just over the limit).

I can't imagine what it would have been if I was 20 and had a stack of speeding tickets. Jeeesus.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-06-13, 16:14

I have zero speeding tickets, zero accidents, zero claims, a completely 100% spotless driving record (and criminal record, if that make a difference).

The cheapest I could find (just some quick down and dirty searching of 3 companies) was just under $2,500 a year. I even qualify for the 21 year old rate reduction even though I'm only 20 (I turn 21 in this calendar year, I guess that makes a difference. The prices weren't much better when I tried a 1995 as opposed to a new 2005 bike.

I think I'm going to have to hold off for a while.

Edit: Especially since I'm saving up for a down payment on something that has slightly less potential of killing me, a house.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-13, 16:15

Yoiks. Obviously I haven't looked at insurance in a while, but it wasn't *nearly* that crazy when I had my 'Duc in '96. Yeesh.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-06-13, 16:24

Well, that's Canadian dollars. And probably has a clause to medivac his ass to the US for any serious health care needs.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-06-13, 17:22

hopefully you have your motorcycle license...seems ben didn't (got a temp that expired...never took the written or driving test...man is his coach gonna bitch slap him...if he is ever well enough to play that is)

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-06-13, 17:24

I heard his coach (that guy with the jawline bigger than my head) already gave him a scolding over this issue.

Man, as soon as he recovers from his injuries he's gonna get his butt kicked for real!

Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-13, 17:27

I think if Ben refuses to wear a motorcycle helmet going forward, he should not be allowed to wear one on the football field, either. He'll probably suffer less damage on the turf, anyway, so what's the worry?

Also, amazingly, a lobbyist with Pennsylvania Alliance of Bikers Aimed Toward Education claims that this incident won't change helmet laws because "We have accidents every day that are far worse than that one." Is that something you want to tout if your position is that bikers should not be required to wear helmets?

Last edited by Engine Joe : 2006-06-13 at 17:46.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-13, 17:48

I'm leaving work to pick the beast up. If I don't post pics of it by the end of the night, assume I'm dead.

Hopefully talk to you guys later!

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-06-13, 17:59

Good bye murbot!
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-13, 19:21

Is he dead yet?
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-06-13, 20:09

Here's an ad that people in the UK will be familiar with. Shows what the biggest risk is.

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/ca...a/howclose.mpg
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-13, 20:14

What I wanna know is if the pink turned out right.

I asked for that perfect shade of My Little Pony/bubblegum with a *touch* of Strawberry Shortcake, but ya never know.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-13, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Here's an ad that people in the UK will be familiar with. Shows what the biggest risk is.

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/ca...a/howclose.mpg
I think the onus is on the bikers, but that's just me.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-13, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
I think the onus is on the bikers, but that's just me.
Yeeeeeah, because being an asshat driver who doesn't fucking *look* where they're going is y'know, just the way things are.

I bet rape victims ask for it too.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-13, 20:28

Quote:
Yeeeeeah, because being an asshat driver who doesn't fucking *look* where they're going is y'know, just the way things are.
Um, in that ad, the driver looked. Remember, the driver is on the right.

Quote:
I bet rape victims ask for it too.
That was fucking uncalled for.

EDIT: I should make clear that I'm not saying car drivers shouldn't be on the lookout. All I mean to say is that bikers bear the responsibility for being constantly aware of their decreased visibility vis a vis other, larger vehicles. I'm not saying car drivers should ignore bikes. Yeesh.

Last edited by Engine Joe : 2006-06-13 at 20:36.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-13, 20:37

Sorry, I don't see the difference. He might have turned his head, but did he *LOOK*? No, or he wouldn't have pulled out. "Well gee, the person who I mangled because I was distracted/busy/inattentive was *really* the person at fault..."

Yeah, right.

Idiot cyclists deserve what they get... unfortunately, *GOOD* cyclists get what idiot *DRIVERS* should get.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-13, 20:44

Quote:
Sorry, I don't see the difference. He might have turned his head, but did he *LOOK*? No, or he wouldn't have pulled out. "Well gee, the person who I mangled because I was distracted/busy/inattentive was *really* the person at fault..."

Yeah, right.
You don't see the difference? We can disagree about whether he looked. Personally, I think my complaint is with the ad - it's a bad illustration because he turned his head.

I'm NOT saying "Well gee, the person who I mangled because I was distracted/busy/inattentive was *really* the person at fault...". Perhaps I was sloppy in my expression (indeed, I know I must have been, because this was not my intent in my expression). All I mean is what I said in my edit:
I said NOTHING about busy/distracted/inattentive. However, I suppose the blanket statement I made could be interpeted to suggest that I meant that car/truck drivers had no culpability vis-a-vis bikers. I did not mean to suggest that. I merely meant that if anyone should be at a specifically heightened level of awareness, it is the person on the bike. Feel free to disagree, but please don't - from here out, at least - assume I mean that all non-bikers are exculped from liability when a biker is hit. I hope that it is now obvious that I don't mean that.

Quote:
Idiot cyclists deserve what they get... unfortunately, *GOOD* cyclists get what idiot *DRIVERS* should get
There we agree. I'm sorry, I should not have "assumed in" a reasonability standard. I saw the head turn and read it as a "look". My beef, I think, is with the ad's presentation, not with the responsibility of the driver/biker therein.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-13, 20:48

Alright, fair enough - I've dealt with entirely too many drivers who *do* think that motorcycles (and bicycles) are *targets* that are fun to mess with, that they shouldn't be on the road "unless they can take a hit".

And no, I'm not talking theory, I'm talking about having them state this up front, as their beliefs... and THEN I get to deal with them *ACTING* on it on the fucking road.

"Well, they shouldn't have been out there in the first place." is a phrase I've heard uttered about cyclists and rape victims alike, with seriousness. So, yeah, I get a bit pissy.

I retract my piss.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-13, 20:52

Quote:
Alright, fair enough - I've dealt with entirely too many drivers who *do* think that motorcycles (and bicycles) are *targets* that are fun to mess with, that they shouldn't be on the road "unless they can take a hit".
Yikes.

I think I understand your 'piss' a bit more now. Eep. That's horrifying to even consider. My practice as a car driver is to give bikers as wide a berth as possible - for their comfort, but also my own.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-13, 20:57

You haven't er, 'lived' until you've had an SUV decide that your rear tire is a bumper... and that they want you to go faster.

I ended up doing 90 down the interstate to get away from the fucker... and he was chasing.

I have an uncle who laughs about 'buzzing' bicyclists, getting as close as he can without actually hitting them. He's dumped a couple who were trying to dodge. He thinks it's funny. (I buzzed him in the driveway one day, and he didn't think it was too funny, the fucker.)

So... sorry. :}