Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad Pro M2 (2022)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-18, 10:29

News Release
Quote:
Apple today announced the new iPad Pro with the M2 chip, delivering the ultimate combination of portability, versatility, and unbelievable performance. The new iPad Pro features a next-level Apple Pencil hover experience and superfast wireless connectivity, along with the world’s most advanced mobile display, pro cameras, Face ID, Thunderbolt, and a four-speaker audio system. New features in iPadOS 16 — including Stage Manager, full external display support,1 desktop-class apps, and Reference Mode — take pro workflows on iPad even further. Enabled by its advanced hardware and iPadOS 16, iPad Pro has an incredible ecosystem of powerful pro apps unlike any other device of its kind. The new iPad Pro is available to order starting today, and in stores beginning Wednesday, October 26.
“The next-generation iPad Pro pushes the boundaries of what’s possible on iPad, bringing even more versatility, power, and portability to the ultimate iPad experience,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “Powered by the M2 chip, the new iPad Pro features incredible performance and the most advanced technologies, including a next-level Apple Pencil hover experience, ProRes video capture, superfast wireless connectivity, and powerful iPadOS 16 features. There’s nothing else like it.”
Nice upgrade, though seems incremental. Nothing major, just good solid improvements. I'm guessing this is why it was an announcement as opposed to an event.
  • M2
  • Pencil Hover
  • Wi-Fi 6E

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-10-18, 16:47

I am fairly excited about this.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-18, 18:38

Are you looking to upgrade this cycle? I can totally see you with a Pro and a Pencil.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-10-18, 22:33

I have priced it twice, so I think I'm serious?

My inclination is to always overspec and just "slide all the dials to the right ".

However, I don't know if I really need to have cellular service as an option.

I really want Procreate.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-10-19, 03:07

The current iPad line-up is cluttered and bad. Why do the features on the Pros still differ? Why are there two entry-level ones? Why is there an 11-inch Pro and an 11-inch Air?

On top of that, this update is minor.

So I think the next step will be: move the iPad Pro up from 11/13 to 13/15. That answers the Air: it's almost Pro, but smaller and cheaper.

Then hopefully, they'll find it in their heart to lower the entry-level iPad from $449 to $379 or whatever and kill the $329 one.

They also need to go back to updating the Air and mini in tandem. The mini should be a small Air.

Then you'd really have three lines: the 8-inch/10-inch mini/Air, the $379 no-suffix, the 13-inch/15-inch Pro.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-10-19, 06:49

Do you suppose there is an industry need for iPads that we're not considering? Something that bolsters the continuance of the weird overlaps? I see a lot of tablets out there today, and while many are less expensive Android solutions, some are iPads (they use them in some of the doctors offices I visit).

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-10-19, 07:17

The $329 one is probably still important so they can sell that for $299 in education, sure. (They could also do the Jobs-era thing and make it education-exclusive.) Apple has been facing huge headwinds from Chromebooks, which are cheaper (especially if a keyboard matters to you), roughly as easy to manage, and feel more "PC-like". If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple would prefer to have the iPad simply start at $499, as it did when introduced in 2010.

As for other industries, you tend to have a higher budget than that.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-19, 07:37

Having lived with and used daily an 12.9" Pro for the last two years I can say it it feels huge. Sitting in my desk it is fine and looks small compared to the 27" monitors around it. When I get up from my desk and it comes with me though, you realize how big a piece of 8.5"x11" Letter paper is, especially when it is breakable! I can't imagine a 15" slab.

I get the breakdown by size and moniker, but an iPad the size of my MBP screen really would feel massive. I feel like that would be way to big to play a game laying in bed. Certainly not worth chancing dropping on my face if I'm laying on my back on the couch or bed. I'd end up with a broken nose over that one!

Drew, I got cellular on mine though I don't have it enabled. The number of times the integrated GPS with the cellular model has been helpful to me is far beyond the extra I paid to have the cellular model. So really, I bought a GPS model that I can enable cellular if I want.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-10-29, 16:47

I may have done a thing...

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-29, 17:01

Did you get a Pencil also?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-10-29, 17:56

I may have done 2 things...

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-29, 18:14

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-10-29, 22:02

It is a pretty cool device, but there is a learning curve.

I mostly typed that using a pencil.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2022-10-30, 15:53

Congrats Drew!

Fwiw, I bought an iPad 12.9” (M1) last year and have not opened my 2013 MacBook Air since.

I enjoy the luxurious screen real estate (for an iPad) and the syncing of iCloud services, such as Photos, Calendar, Notes, and Messages. Surprisingly I also enjoy using Files to navigate what I have stored online.

I also bought an Apple Pencil, because why not. However, I have not really been using it.

Enjoy your two new things!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-11-09, 10:37

Hey Drew, Serif is having a sale again if you don't already own their suite.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-09, 18:22

Ooooo! Thanks T! I'll take a look tonight- this is awesome!