User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

AppleTV 4K (Wi-Fi) and AppleTV 4K (Wi-Fi + Ethernet) (2022)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleTV 4K (Wi-Fi) and AppleTV 4K (Wi-Fi + Ethernet) (2022)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-18, 10:24

New Release
Quote:
Apple today announced the next generation of Apple TV 4K — more powerful, entertaining, and affordable than ever, and offering impressive cinematic quality. Driven by the A15 Bionic chip that delivers faster performance and more fluid gameplay, the new Apple TV 4K features endless entertainment options for everyone to enjoy on the biggest screen in the home. HDR10+ support joins Dolby Vision on Apple TV 4K, so users can watch their favorite movies and TV shows in the best quality possible across more TVs.1 Running tvOS, the powerful and intuitive OS for the living room, and featuring the popular Siri Remote, Apple TV 4K simplifies the way users discover and enjoy their favorite content. Its seamless integration with other Apple devices and services magically transforms the living room in different ways for the entire family, while also adding convenience as a smart home hub.
The new Apple TV 4K is available in two configurations: Apple TV 4K (Wi-Fi), which offers 64GB of storage; and Apple TV 4K (Wi-Fi + Ethernet), which offers support for Gigabit Ethernet for fast networking and streaming, Thread mesh networking protocol to connect even more smart home accessories, and twice the storage for apps and games (128GB). Customers can order the new Apple TV 4K with Siri Remote today at a new starting price of $129, with availability beginning Friday, November 4.
So if you want wired networking or Thread support you are getting the upgraded version.
Quote:
The next generation of Apple TV 4K is an entertainment powerhouse, bringing the best video and audio capabilities to the biggest screen in the home. At the heart of the new Apple TV 4K is A15 Bionic, making the device even more powerful and energy efficient. CPU performance is now up to 50 percent faster than the previous generation, delivering greater responsiveness, faster navigation, and snappier UI animations. GPU performance is now up to 30 percent faster than the previous generation for even smoother gameplay.
Apple TV 4K now supports HDR10+, in addition to Dolby Vision, expanding rich visual quality across more TVs, producing the eye-popping details and vibrant colors intended by content creators. Users can also enjoy a home theater experience with Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital 7.1, or Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound for immersive audio.2
CPU bump for faster "things" and better HDR support. This is actually a big improvement assuming you have the TV to support it.

At least we now know why all the other AppleTVs were being cleared out of Amazon and such last week.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-18, 10:40

More details from MacWorld:
Quote:
Apple on Tuesday released a new Apple TV 4K with a more powerful processor and an aggressive price tag starting at $129 for 64GB of storage, $70 less than the previous model. It also added an option for 128GB of storage for $149 that includes some features that aren’t available in the lower model.

The new model is essentially the same as the one it replaces, though it has a slightly smaller 3.6-inch square design versus the previous model’s 3.9-inch case. The A15 Bionic chip is a nice step up from the A12 Bionic in the 2021 model and it now includes support for HDR10+, though that came to older Apple TV 4K models as well with tvOS 16. It still includes the Siri Remote, which now includes a USB-C port rather than Lightning.

The most notable change is the removal of the ethernet port from the base model. Users who want to the fastest possible Internet connection will now need to buy the 128GB model. Additionally, only the 128GB model includes support for Thread mesh networking protocol to connect smart home devices. Previously, Apple included both ethernet and Thread support in all models.

The 2022 model also marks the discontinuation of the Apple TV HD, which hadn’t been updated since 2015.

The new Apple TV 4K is available for preorder now and will begin arriving on November 4.
So $149 for ethernet and storage. Seems worthy. Surprised they actually lowered their price, but competition is high in the streaming box arena.

Also the move to USB-C for the remote is telling of Apple's plan for all their devices.

Added some bold to the quote for emphasis.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-10-19, 03:03

So $20 buys you Ethernet, Thread, and twice the storage. Storage hardly matters, and few people will wire up Ethernet. But Thread? Why wouldn't Apple be interested in making as many as their living room devices as possible into Thread hubs? And why give customers this choice at all? This business genius, in 1998: "would you like the $1,299 iMac, or the $1,279 iMac without modem?"

I just don't understand the thinking of having $129 and $149 models rather than a single $139 model.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-19, 07:28

I wire my primary AppleTV because there is always less buffering.

However, it does seem odd to make Thread and "extra" as opposed to just part of the package. If I had to guess, the hardware for the wifi only one is actually different enough that it didn't make sense to "just remove" the ethernet port.

Looking at the specs though, they are both the same Wi-Fi 6 and same BT 5.0.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-10-19, 08:26

I'm going to pick up a couple of the $149 ones in a few months for my new house. Hardwiring all my ATVs throughout. I have a couple ATV 4Ks still. One of my older ones I think is dying. Couldn't get the WiFi to connect Sunday. Need to try again in a different area.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-10-19, 08:56

Interestingly this release happened on the same day Google decided to kill Google TV (whatever that is). I still wonder if the Apple TV is just a pet project, never really seen the point of it. Guesss it’s useful if you have AppleTV+?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-10-19, 11:09

I still haven't figured out why the current Apple TV needs 32GB of storage, let alone 128GB.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-10-19, 14:27

Yeah, it’s a steaming device, kind of odd.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-19, 14:35

As a guy who has run out of space on a 32GB version I can tell you how:
Screensavers and games/apps.

Those video (aerial) screensavers are huge and when you have games and other apps they will fill up. Especially with the games. My kids play games on the AppleTV all the time. Mostly from Apple Arcade but it does happen, normally when it is a "quick game" and they don't want to head to the actual consoles.