Apple Services
Page 3 of 5 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-10-20, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Just like with Beats One (now split into multiple stations), I don't think having one video station with all the genres is a winning concept.
Agreed.... it seems very uncreative to just put a live feed of music videos and not leverage anything modern..... custom curated live feed based on your music library and interests.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-20, 12:51

I didn't realize it was going to be all genres at once. Are they going to have Headbanger's Ball and force it to happen in the wee hours of the morning?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-10-20, 13:59

What is going on with Apple One? No firm release date. And now that they are extending Apple TV+ subscriptions for free into next year, how might that impact Apple One? Why pay for Apple One if you are still getting TV+ for free?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-20, 14:18

I'm dumping Apple TV+ as soon as my free runs out, I have no use for Apple Music or Apple News or Apple Arcade.

Hell, I'm trying to figure out why I should pay Apple for any of those things.

Nothing compelling in there at all, other than Ted Lasso, which I've seen all of, and is not worth the subscription.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-10-21, 06:36

I've had Apple TV+ since the beginning and I watched like 1 or 2 episodes of that Jason Mamoa show. Even at $5, it's not worth it for me. I have heard Ted Lasso is good though. Might watch that.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-10-21, 07:07

I think there's a fair amount of good stuff. Enough for $5/mo? I dunno. But hardly nothing.

Loved For All Mankind, liked The Morning Show more than I'd expected. Both had a bit of a slow start.

Defending Jacob's pacing was off. Seems like they decided last-minute between making it a movie, a series, and (finally) a mini-series — the last episode seemed to suddenly build up to an entire second season that presumably isn't planned.

Watched a few episodes of Little America and enjoyed those.

Watched Trying. A bit meh.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-21, 10:48

I started See, didn't work for me. I started For All Mankind, didn't work for me. Ted Lasso was awesome, and both my wife and I loved it, but it's done now. Long Way Up has become a bit too predictable and boring, but I'll finish it out. Long Way Round was beautiful, and still one of the best docu-series I've ever seen. But Long Way Up is just too … been there done that. The Morning Show doesn't interest me in the slightest. None of the Oprah crap or that other stuff interests me. I've watched a few trailers for curiosity's sake, and nothing is taking hold. Greyhound was good but not great. There is just not enough in there to keep me around. Rumors of the Hanks/Spielberg 8th Air Force series would get my 5 bucks/month, but otherwise I won't even be back for Ted Lasso season 2.

Too much stabbing around in the dark, chucking things at the wall. I don't spend enough time in front of the tube to just toss money at it for no good reason.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-06, 09:27

Funny you mentioned Long Way Up. I'm in the exact same boat. At this point they are doing everything I expect. The overdone drama is annoying to me actually. Crap happens we get it, but do you need to show their down face with a few seconds of crappy music and even slow the speed down?

On another note, with the bundles live I still can't bring myself to go for them. I actually found I totally enjoyed Apple Music when Verizon gave it to me. That time using it is the biggest selling point they have for me. I'm just not sure I want to pay $15 a month for my family to use it. On top of that, I do plan for my family to get Fitness+ but for the annual fee separate from a bundle. I did order a couple of HomePod Minis though. Music could be nice through them... though currently we use Plex and Sonos so I'm not sure how that arrangement is going to morph.

I like the idea of Apple Arcade, just not willing to pay $5 a month for it still. $30 a month for my family just seems so high to be renting services.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-08, 20:38

Fitness+ releases on the 14th. It will be interesting to see how that actually works out in real life for my family. I'm glad I get the trial to find out.

Apple is also giving me a 90 trial to Apple Arcade now thanks to something I bought recently. I guess I'll give it a try, I don't expect to keep paying for it though.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-14, 14:09

iOS 14.3 is out with the updates for Fitness+ and AirPods Max. I'm downloading now but already worked out today.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2020-12-14, 20:33

MacRumors said it was supposed to install the Fitness app on iPhones with the 14.3 update but I didn't get it. Is that because I don't have a watch, so it just left it out accordingly?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-12-14, 21:57

The Fitness app (née Activity) isn’t new and only appears if you have a Watch. The Fitness+ tab inside it is new.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-12-14, 21:59

Apple a day late and a dollar short on that forefront
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-15, 10:13

You know, I bet there area ton of families out there that will just blindly sign up for the $30 a month plan so they have the options. I'm still looking at just doing Fitness+ annually, but I haven't started my trial yet. We ended up spending most of the evening getting devices updated between the Watches and phones and such. I haven't even checked my AppleTVs to see if they updated.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-15, 15:36

Quote:
As first reported by 9to5Mac, any trial that previously would’ve expired from February to June of 2021 will now expire in July instead.
AppleTV+ free even longer. Seems like it sucks and they are trying to hold out hope that it will be better. At least Apple isn't forcing people to pay for it even though it sucks. I mean, there are good things on it but not worth $5 a month.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-15, 15:40

If a person had not seen The Long Way Round, then I would say there are two shows on Apple TV+ worth watching: That, and Ted Lasso.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-15, 15:44

I thought it was Long Way Up... Is Round available too?

*scurries off to check*

Edit: Oooo.... Round and Down are available! I have something new to watch now!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-15, 15:52

Long Way Round is brilliant. Long Way Down is good. Long Way Up was the worst of the three, but had some nice moments. Just too much artificial drama. The first one had its drama, but it was real drama, and well-styled. The last was just manufactured drama, because they really had very few problems, but seemed to feel like they needed problems in order for the show to be interesting. It really did detract from the final product.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-15, 15:56

Oh, then I should really enjoy the others. That drama sucked. It really did make watching it a chore. I'm looking forward to seeing the other series now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-26, 14:02

Masters of Air is making progress. Other than Ted Lasso, this is the only Apple TV+ show that I am currently interested in, and I cannot wait.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-09, 09:59

I was looking through the service options because my trials for Fitness+ and Apple Arcade are about to expire. Both of those options have an annual fee option as opposed to a monthly option. This is a much better option given it is even cheaper for a service that we want. I only have Arcade because my mom gave me $60 so the kids could have it for the year. However it is $50 when paid annually.

So I was looking at Apple Music and that service doesn't have an annual option. I'm really bummed too because I would happy get it if it kept my costs lower. I'm not willing to pay $15 a month for my family to have music like that though.

I also wish my iCloud storage had an annual option but it doesn't either. So I'm stuck paying $10 a month for it.

Add them all up and it is still cheaper not to bundle with the One plans.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-11, 02:30

I'm actually considering Apple News+ (to save some money on magazines, while giving me a reason to buy a new iPad.)

The weird thing is MacLife magazine isn't onboard, which seems like an odd omission for their audience.

It would also help is either or both of the popular Christian magazines (Christianity Today and Charisma) were on the service.

Any two of those three mags alone would make the monthly price worth it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-11, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
The weird thing is MacLife magazine isn't onboard, which seems like an odd omission for their audience.
Funny you mention that, considering I work for MacLife (the computer store, not the magazine). FYI: We sold our domain name to MacLife Magazine (back when they changed their name from MacAddict) for $25,000!

We're now MacLifeBoise.com.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-11, 21:49

That takes me back, we used to get MacAddict and MacWorld magazines. Compared to the Apple journalism you can find now days it was less than stellar for the price of the subscription. We only started getting them because a free one year subscription came with our Power Mac G3, and at first it was kind of useful since we were a little out of the loop, our previous machine was still running System 6. I cannot recall when we cancelled them both, but it was likely 20 years ago.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-12, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Funny you mention that, considering I work for MacLife (the computer store, not the magazine). FYI: We sold our domain name to MacLife Magazine (back when they changed their name from MacAddict) for $25,000!

We're now MacLifeBoise.com.
Wow, that's how it's done.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-12, 16:11

Sometimes.

Back in the day there were domain investors that went around buying up all the cool domain names. Cost them hundreds of thousands, if not millions, but then the payoff came once all the cool names were taken up and people wanted a specific thing (IIRC, business.com sold for $1million). I registered mine back in 2003 and still own it.

And, no, it's not for sale.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-04-12, 22:14

Okay, I'll just get MacLifeBoise.computer And yes, you can now register a ".computer" domain.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-12, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
And yes, you can now register a ".computer" domain.
Why is this a thing? Who asked for this?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-12, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Okay, I'll just get MacLifeBoise.computer And yes, you can now register a ".computer" domain.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-04-12, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Why is this a thing? Who asked for this?
Why? Because we are running out of .com domains perhaps? Or domain server companies want to suck more money from big corporations? Make tons of domains types, so they have to register them all to protect that brand? Who knows? There are a lot of similarly named small businesses out there, so a conflict could easily arise. If you own and run a computer store a '.computer' address might be your only choice if .com is already taken. There are hundreds of domains now beyond the simple .com, gov, .ca, .uk etc. Never been to one of them, but you can register them.