User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple Services

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Services
Page 4 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-13, 03:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Why is this a thing? Who asked for this?
Well, a cynic might say it's a corporate win-win. ICANN makes a lot of money because TLDs are costly to approve ($120k just for the registration, I believe?), and those who register, if they're clever and made a good name choice, also stand to make money over the years.

The non-cynical answer is a lot more complicated.

In some cases, it's outright stupid (why is .google a TLD?). I don't think .computer is one of those cases.

Would it have been great if the original set of TLDs had been enough? …maybe? But they were never actually used fairly. .edu, .gov, and .mil weren't "for education, for the government, for the military", but rather "for US-based education institutions, for the US government, for the US military". Which in turn led to .us barely being used at all, whereas other countries had to silo themselves to their own country code TLDs. .com and .org? Can most people figure out the difference (it's commercial vs. non-commercial), and is that a useful distinction? .net? Isn't all of this .net? Etc.

Not to mention that they were never localized. It's ".gov" whether you speak English, French, Farsi, or Mandarin. Not a great design.

There are historical reasons for all that (the US military set up many of the early cornerstones of the Internet in the first place; see DARPAnet), but that was half a century ago, and while I'm not happy with some of the choices of this new era of TLDs in particular, I do think the traditional model wasn't quite working right.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-27, 18:41

Not really sure what to say here other than...I guess it's a good, interesting period to be gay and working with tigers?

Obviously not looking to leave any mullet on the table, and likely nudged forward by the sordid saga of Joe Exotic and that whole freak show last year, Apple inexplicably signs up a Siegfried & Roy podcast That's right, podcast. Because if anything's ever begged to be seen to be fully appreciated, it might be performing tigers doused in glitter and leaping through flaming hoops.

But noooo.

Apple: "Guys, let's just make it as boring as possible and stick with audio only. Not everything needs visuals."

Uh, yes it the hell does (see previous "glitter tigers jumping through fire" comment), Tim.

It occurs to me that the only two people who'd probably have an ounce of genuine interest in such a thing - Siegfried and Roy themselves - are both now, unfortunately, quite dead.

So it'll be interesting to see how this thing hits.

I know I sometimes don't understand Apple's decisions or reasons for doing this or that.

This possibly takes the cake...and it isn't even on a technical, design or pricing-related matter, which makes it even funnier. Because if someone would've told me 15 years ago - hell, last week - that I'd be getting a chuckle over a story that somehow centered around Apple and Siegfried & Roy, I would've called you insane and laughed you out of the room.
¡Damned!

2021-04-28, 07:39

Why is this a thing? Who asked for this?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-28, 08:59

I have no idea. It's such an odd, niche thing to pursue. The “huh?” of it all is what struck me. Just seems so outside their usual go-to fare/focus.

Were the Lance Burton and Liberace ones already spoken for?

I could imagine a one-off documentary, but an ongoing, audio-only podcast on the subject seems like a real reach. But maybe there’s more to all this than I realize. Maybe they've figured out a way to make such a thing interesting without visuals/images. Impressive, if so.

I still think it’s Apple looking to get in on that you-know-who train/racket.

“Hey, remember those two Vegas dudes, and the one got his neck eaten on stage? There’s something there, guys, I’m telling you! We can tap into a lot of that Tiger King shit...showbiz, behind-the-scenes drama, things going horribly sideways for all involved, goofy people needlessly screwing around with wild animals. It's got it all!"

Yesterday I read that headline 3-4 times before getting to the article.

“Siegfried and Roy? Are there some labor activists, against-the-grain newspaper publishers or 1960's Selma pastors named that too? You mean that Siegfried and Roy, the Vegas tiger guys?!? Did Barry Manilow decline? Did Apple/Tim have a stroke?”

Naturally, I’m gonna have to listen. At least the first 1-2 installments. Just too tempting! Maybe there's some hook/angle that I'm not seeing and it winds up being a really compelling story? Who knows. After all, it was just two short years ago I was convinced The Mandalorian would be a colossal, unwatchable failure, so...WTF do I know?

But, yeah…never in a hundred years would I have called that. Maybe it is the opening show of a planned Las Vegas: Music & Magic in the Desert series and it won't seem so odd/out-of-place once other shows/subjects start to appear?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-28 at 10:13.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-28, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I have no idea. It's such an odd, niche thing to pursue.
Isn’t that Apple in a nutshell?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-05-13, 06:48

Does anyone know if it's possibly to program a TVs volume control on the Apple TV Remote?

This is the 4K model with the black remote. Saw on the Apple website and they gave a way to do it but when you go into Settings to program it, it says to press and hold the + button, no issue, press and hold the - button, no issue, but then they say press the mute button. Is there a way for that?

Just odd that Apple offers settings and steps to do it but it's no possible to do.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-05-13, 08:06

Huh, mine "talks" to my little bitty 12+ year old Sony Bravia, so I had to have programmed it to do that at some point?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-13, 10:29

Not sure about a mute button. I've used the +/- volume for a long time now but not mute. I guess I just hold the - until it is quiet enough.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-05-14, 09:48

So forget everything I said.

It was working yesterday. Maybe it just needed time to sync? Who knows. It certainly wasn't working when I initially hooked it up.

Crisis adverted.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-05-23, 21:04

I haven't yet pulled the trigger on the News+ subscription, as I don't have an iPad at the moment.

Does anyone use their MacBook to read magazines on the service? What is the reader experience like?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-23, 18:35

I'm trying to figure this one out. Is there anything at all funny about either of those cartoons? Or something else telling me why this needs millions of dollars to be a show?

Does Apple have any clue at all, or am I just too old to understand?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-06-23, 19:15

Oh, neat! I've always gotten a nice sensible chuckle when seeing one of Nathan Pyle's alien comics, but I have no idea how they're going to turn that into a full cartoon series. With Dan Harmon's involvement, I can only begin to imagine it as a family-friendly version of Rick and Morty with very tame observational humor.

As for money, well-produced animation can be expensive. In the ballpark of a million dollars per episode is not unusual for modern shows.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2021-06-23, 21:23

Those alien comics always remind me of the old SNL 'Coneheads' skits, with the dry over-technical jargon. Could be amusing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-06-24, 03:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
With Dan Harmon's involvement
Ah, so it'll be as unfunny as Community.
chucker

2021-06-24, 03:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Is there anything at all funny about either of those cartoons?
The second one is mildly amusing, but I wouldn't call it funny. It's just an observation about how silly some human customs must be to other species.

It's a setup for a joke, not a joke.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-24, 10:53

Ah, okay. I'll take your all's word for it.
chucker

2021-06-24, 10:56

(It’s obviously subjective and I snark.

Also, that conic book artist went to an anti-abortion rally. Make of that what you will…)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-30, 16:29

Beats the dedicated Cardi B channel/app (although I suppose there's always a chance that's in the works too, Apple being Apple).

I'll go through phases where I like to listen to classical music, just to imagine "damn, somebody sat down and wrote all this!"

No loops, no samples, no Auto-Tune, etc. You really had to know what you were doing, it turns out.

It's all quite impressive, just from that standpoint. But sometimes it really does soothe me, or kinda transport me or put me in a certain mood. I always seem to gravitate it in the fall and winter, for some reason. So it's getting to be that time of year ago...colorful, falling leaves, violins and pianos, bundling up as the air turns colder, etc.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-30, 16:34

And here I was hoping for "All Cardi B, all the time!" The same 11 crappy songs played over and over and over and over and over and over … guaranteed!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-24, 13:39

Service just went up by $3 in the USA.. At least for the One plan. Music and TV+ "are to blame" for licensing increases.

Oh joy.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-10-24, 13:51

Once you are a subscriber, prices will continually rise until the industry finds the magic number that people will pay, but will never pay more than.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-24, 14:08

Yes, and I grumble every time they do it. Especially when I get nothing more for it.

I don't even want TV+.
chucker

2022-10-24, 14:15

Gotta say, Disney+ is a better bang for the buck than Apple TV+.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-24, 14:20

An antenna in the attic is better than Apple TV+!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-10-24, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-10-24, 19:30

The only service that's worth it for me is News+. Magazines are really cheap, if you already have an iPad.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-10-24, 21:45

Quote:
Depends on where you are, there aren't any stations using over the air broadcasting in Canada anymore. I suppose even static is better than AppleTV+ in most cases. I watched Greyhound while I got if free, then dumped it before they could start charging.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-25, 08:50

Really? No OTA in Canada?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-10-25, 09:11

Quote:
Really? No OTA in Canada?
Nope, stopped a number of years ago and the spectrum was sold to a telecom for 5G, IIRC.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-10-25, 12:14

I pay for Apple One, so it's not so specifically targeted at one service for me.

I definitely use all of the services that are included, so not too much of a change for me.

I'd still probably pay for AppleTV+. There are a lot of shows on there that I genuinely enjoy, so it's a good one to have.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.