Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Curiosity Stream and Nebula

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Curiosity Stream and Nebula
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-05, 18:11

Curious if anyone is using Curiosity Stream and Nebula?

If so, what does it cost? I can find nothing on their website about subscription costs. Anybody know?

And, is it any good? I use Youtube quite a lot, but am beginning to get frustrated by ads, policies, etc.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-06, 10:17

YouTube never used to show as many ads as they do now, and they never used to bust in, mid-video, to run them. That, and a half-dozen other reasons, are why I barely even fool with them anymore.

I wish there was a solid alternative. Vimeo is hit-or-miss and I'm not looking to throw in with anyone whose leanings - left or right - serves as their calling card or "why we exist". In a perfect world, I never know the politics/stances of anyone or any outfit.

I just want to see some guitar, painting, woodworking, tiny house, etc. videos without all the bullshit and shtick.

Getting harder and harder to do so via YouTube without running an obstacle course.

The full-time YouTuber/influencer type is beyond grating, their entire approach/persona. If I want to see a bunch of smug millennials/Gen-Z types taking forever to get to their point, saying "like" every fourth word and trying to be funny and/or edgy (and failing miserably at both), I'll simply drive downtown to the UTC campus and hang out in the quad for an hour or two...free, and no ads.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-06, 11:41

There are a lot of YouTubers that I just love. Bourbon Moth Woodworking, Matthias Wendel, Today I found Out, Veritasium, Smarter Every Day, Real Life Lore, etc. They're very successful and I love the work they do. These are intelligent people who've figured out a way to make a very good living making high quality videos.

That other thing you mentioned — the Kardashian look-at-me types — get exactly zero play time with my eyeballs. None, zip, nada!

Still, many of the people I love to watch seem to be getting frustrated with YouTube and are at least experimenting with Curiosity Stream and Nebula. But they're subscription driven (no ads) and I can't figure out how much they cost.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-06, 12:00

There are indeed good YouTubers whose work/efforts I appreciate. But they’re a sliver at this point. Far more noise than signal. I follow a small cluster of quality, informative folks who are good at what they do. It’s how I learn about stuff anymore (drywalling, tiling, trimwork, etc.). It’s a great platform, you just have to know where to look and sometimes wade through a swamp to get there.

I need to check those other places out, for sure.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-06, 12:11

Via some Googling:

Quote:
Here are the monthly and annual prices for CuriosityStream: $2.99 a month for standard HD streaming. $9.99 a month for premium 4K streaming. $19.99 a year for standard HD streaming.
Quote:
Do you have to pay for Nebula?

For access to its library, which grows by around 250 new videos each month, it charges $3/month, or $30/year. Fees are used to cover Nebula's basic operating costs, and then are split, 50-50, between Standard and creators. Creators are paid proportionally, based on how much watch time their videos glean each month.

Does Nebula come with Curiosity Stream?

Most importantly, you still get complimentary access to Nebula with your Curiosity Stream subscription!
And this might be helpful to know:

Quote:
What is the difference between Curiosity Stream and Nebula?

While Curiosity Stream has original content, as far as I can tell all of the Nebula stuff is also available on YouTube. So as a Nebula customer the only real benefit is watching content without ads. This is well and good, but ads aside, Youtube is simply a more convenient platform.
If you go to CuriosityStream's website and scroll down from their homepage, they show the pricing.

Standard HD monthly: $2.99
Standard HD annual: $19.99 (best value/most popular, they say)

Premium (4K) monthly: $9.99
Premium (4K) annual: $69.99

Assuming everything I'm reading is accurate/up-to-date, you can get HD CuriosityStream for $20 a year and that includes access to Nebula's library.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-06, 12:23

Interesting. I was mostly looking at Nebula and just get a login page. But, that helps. Thanks.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-06, 12:59

Yeah, it's a little confusing.

Some places make it sound like Nebula is part of of CuriosityStream (and comes with the CS subscription), while others make it sound like something you pay extra for, based solely on when you subscribed to CS). As often the case, sweet deals/freebies are given to newcomers/trial subscribers, while longtime customers/subscribers are expected to shell out.

Seems kinda backwards to me...reward your loyal longtimers with perks/extra access, and make the newbies cough up!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-07, 08:59

I've never heard of these at all. Mind posting links so lazy people like me can see what you're talking about?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-07, 09:03

https://curiositystream.com/

https://nebula.app/

At the bottom of the nebula homepage, it says its price is $5/month or $50/year.

Ken, how hard did you look for this info? Because the pricing info for both services
Is on each homepage if you scroll down. Too much whiskey?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-07, 13:04

Yeah, I get a kick. I followed a link to sign up and there weren't nothing.

FWIW, that Nebula link ain't got nothing, either.