Samsung At It Again

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Samsung At It Again
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-25, 10:43

Samsung phone catches fire on a plane!

Well, at least everyone lived.

I wonder what the FAA is going to have to say about this?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-25, 11:12

Seems to be the only feature/spec they didn’t swipe from Apple.

“See, we do have our own original ideas!”
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-25, 11:23

Introducing the Samsung Ploof

Never go without fire again!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-25, 13:04

The funny/interesting thing is, I read this story yesterday at three different sites/outlets (including one very mainstream, waiting room/airport terminal king of cable news) and none of them mentioned the actual phone/model involved. I kept thinking "do they not know, or do they just not think it's relevant or of interest to readers?"

Maybe it isn't important, but...maybe it is. Folks might like to know if that thing in their pocket or purse is prone to igniting.

I would.

But I immediately knew it wasn't an iPhone because no outlet in existence will pass up the opportunity to pile on the top dog, and loudly tell the emperor his wang is hanging out. So them not providing a description actually...provided a description. I assumed it was something Android-based...and, going past events, some sort of Samsung model.

Because if it was any model of iPhone, that little tidbit would've been included in the headline, subhead, opening paragraph, pull-quote, photo caption, infographic, accompanying video report and closing paragraph.

APPLE'S FAULTY IPHONE NEARLY BRINGS DOWN AN AIRLINER FULL OF NUNS, BABY GIRAFFES, AFHGAN REFUGEES AND BUNNY RABBITS
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-25, 13:08

Oh, hell, there would have been a federal emergency broadcast warning proclaiming the world's imminent doom.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-25, 13:26

Human nature, huh? Folks love the scrappy underdog...until they're not. And then they've got a bullseye on their back 24/7. In some ways, Apple is the new IBM or Microsoft, the 800-pound monkey in the room that everyone else measures themselves against.

And when they stumble or fail, it's extra sweet to many in the stands/on the sidelines (the media, tech press, bloggers and pundits, YouTubers, etc.).

Everything comes and goes, cycles around, ebbs and flows, loses and wins. Stick around long enough and you might even see it happen several times.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-25, 13:51

What's really funny to me is that Apple still isn't the market leader (in terms of market share) in any of the markets they compete in:

Android sells more phones
Android sells more tablets
Android sells more watches
Windows sells more computers
Everyone else sells more speakers
Everyone else sells more TV thingies
Everyone else has more subscribers

Except for one:

They make the most money!

It's bananas that Apple is thought of as the "big dog" simply because of that one thing. It would be like if Apple sold exactly one iPhone for $2trillion. Would that suddenly make them the "big dog"?

But, yeah, if an iPhone ever goes boom on an airplane, get ready for some serious media-induced panic.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-08-25, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Samsung phone catches fire on a plane!

Well, at least everyone lived.

I wonder what the FAA is going to have to say about this?

Hardy the same as the last issue with that Galaxy line, those notes were not just one off. The phone in question here is old hardware.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-08-25, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
funny to me is that Apple still isn't the market leader (in terms of market share) in any of the markets they compete in:

Android sells more phones
Android sells more tablets
Android sells more watches
Android doesn’t sell anything.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-25, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Android doesn’t sell anything.
Yes, I know that. But the platform dominates.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-25, 15:46

Funny thing is, I don't actually know a soul with an Android/non-iPhone. I truly don't. All my family, immediate and the ones I want to punch once a year at Thanksgiving, all have iPhones. All my friends. All their friends. All the people I did the pub trivia thing with for 2-3 years (my team and all the others). All my degenerate musician friends (and friends of theirs I've met over the years). Every casual acquaintance, everyone I ever struck up a conversation with at the pub, every co-worker, every vixen/cutie-pie at the grocery store who I wish I knew , etc.

iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone. Every single one. Not an Android (or Windows?) phone in the bunch. Dozens and dozens and dozens of people...all occupations, income brackets, gender, age, race, background, etc. I don't know anyone who doesn't have/use an iPhone.

I've been sitting here for a few minutes running through all the people in my life in any real way - all the above, and then some - and it's all iPhone, various models (3-4 first-gen SEs, some of the new ones and then most everyone else on a 7, 8, X, Xs, Xr, 11 or 12 or some sort (plus, pro, max, regular). Most in black/space grey, another healthy chunk in white/silver and only a handful in any color (gold, Pacific Blue, the 11/12 greens, etc.). My stepmom has a PRODUCT Red SE (with a clear gel case). Mind you, all the other ones with colors, I had to ask because they're all in cases, meaning the colors are never seen to the world, which is why I question the damn decision to even make them.

But, yeah...I don't know anyone who isn't using an iPhone. And while I don't know a ton of people (hundreds and thousands), I do know a lot. Enough that it's kinda interesting not one of them has an Android or any other type of phone. And, as you'd expect, most of them aren't Mac users. Maybe 10-15%, tops (because I know a lot of musicians and artistic/designer types). But everyone else is a Windows/PC user, but they, for whatever reason(s), still went with iPhone.

I always found that interesting/kinda cool.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-25 at 15:58.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-25, 15:50

I see Android phones all the time in my circle.

So, maybe your circle is smarter than mine?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-25, 15:59

Well that goes without saying. Of course it is. (where's that tweed jacket/pipe-smoking/cocked-eyebrow/chin-stroking smiley when I need him?)

Thinking about everyone again, I am directly responsible for a good 20-30% of them owning/using an iPhone, going back several years. So I'm kinda proud of that.

I was the first, by far, of anyone in my circle to have one, way back in July 2007, weeks after they first hit the streets. I went well over a year being the only iPhone owner of anyone I knew. Then along about the time of the iPhone 3GS and definitely the iPhone 4, others started to come to me and ask about them, pick my brain, etc. By the time the iPhone 6/6s hit, the bulk of the above were on them (and are now on their second or even third model since ~2015. I knew quite a few people who jumped on the 5s too. Any stragglers/holdouts all came on board during the 7/8/x releases, and many of them are looking forward to the upcoming release (because it's been 3-4 years and they're ready).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-25 at 16:09.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-25, 16:01

Remember: Smart does not mean wise.

While you may surround yourself with goofballs that would wear a tweed jacket while smoking cigars, my people would never be caught dead in such foolish activities.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-08-25, 19:32

There was a time that everyone I knew had an iPhone (we are talking iPhone 4/5 era), but during the iPhone 5S/6/6S era there was a big shift and I started to see just as many or more Samsung Galaxy phones as I do iPhone's. Now days I just don't watch anymore, everyone has their face in their phones, and it doesn't make much difference what kind it is.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-25, 19:36

I can't help but notice. A decade-plus habit, I guess. I'm always curious. I did see a petite woman at the store recently and she had one of the Max(?) models. The thing was as big as her head. It was like a helicopter landing pad.

"Ma'am, do you need help to your car? No, not your groceries...your damn phone."
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-08-25, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I can't help but notice. A decade-plus habit, I guess. I'm always curious. I did see a petite woman at the store recently and she had one of the Max(?) models. The thing was as big as her head. It was like a helicopter landing pad.

"Ma'am, do you need help to your car? No, not your groceries...your damn phone."
Sounds more like you were watching her than her phone. No doubt you wanted to help her to her car.