AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

macOS Shortcuts

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
macOS Shortcuts
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-16, 15:51

Arguably this could be in the Programmer's Nook, but it is an Apple product so I'm starting here.

Has any one started playing with this on their Mac? I have a few that I use with NFC tags and such for automation and they work great.

I saw a Lifehacker article talking about it for macOS and though I'd give it a try. The thing I'm still seeing as a glaring omission is the ability to run time/clock based triggers. Like, at 0800 open Teams. How hard is that? Everything I see still point to LaunchAgents for that.

However, aside from that I'm interested in diving more into Shortcut automations with my Mac too. They sync via iCloud so you can have them across all your devices if they are compatible. This is handy.

Anyone have cool Shortcuts yet? I figure we can share some of them here as we build them since I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll be playing with them.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-16, 16:30

I like that Apple seems to have a broad strategy here (for example, you can launch them from the dock, the menu bar, the Terminal, Services, etc.; lots of integration). Haven’t really played with them. Supposedly, the UI is very buggy so far.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-16, 16:42

Yeah, the Services is one that I'm intrigued about. Right click actions are always nice because they are hidden in plain sight and really help with some tasks.

I'm still working to figure out a time base automation though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-16, 16:58

I should make a timer app and charge you $5
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-16, 18:23

You should. There was an app a while ago that I think died a slow death of neglect that used to make launchd and easy GUI thing... I didn't bother looking again. I was really hoping it would be included with Shortcuts, but it isn't.

Instead I now have this:
Code:
com.turtle.MicrosoftTeams.plist <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>Label</key> <string>com.turtle.MicrosoftTeams</string> <key>ProgramArguments</key> <array> <string>/usr/bin/open</string> <string>/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app</string> </array> <key>StartCalendarInterval</key> <dict> <key>Minute</key> <integer>00</integer> <key>Hour</key> <integer>8</integer> <key>Weekday</key> <integer>12345</integer> </dict> </dict> </plist>
Edit: I liked it so much I did one for Outlook too, only it loads earlier so it can run mail rules before I get to work!
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>Label</key> <string>com.turtle.MicrosoftOutlook</string> <key>ProgramArguments</key> <array> <string>/usr/bin/open</string> <string>/Applications/Microsoft Outlook.app</string> </array> <key>StartCalendarInterval</key> <dict> <key>Minute</key> <integer>45</integer> <key>Hour</key> <integer>7</integer> <key>Weekday</key> <integer>12345</integer> </dict> </dict> </plist>

Last edited by turtle : 2021-11-16 at 18:53.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-16, 19:02

I have never felt more stupid/clueless about something in my entire life.

And believe me, that's saying something.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-16, 19:49

Never got the point of shortcuts, but I’m not a programmer so it’s all gibberish to me.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-16, 23:57

I *do* know how to program a smidge (not a smadge) but have never had a need to propel me to attempt anything LOCAL like this for fear that I would bork my machine, somehow.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
chucker

2021-11-17, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I have never felt more stupid/clueless about something in my entire life.

And believe me, that's saying something.
They’re “on weekdays 1 through 5 (Monday through Friday), launch Outlook at 7:45 and Teams at 8”, respectively. They’re unrelated to Shortcuts, actually.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-17, 10:08

Yes, it is unrelated to Shortcuts, but it was my workaround to the hopeful fact that Shortcuts would allow time based automation.

It isn't just for launching apps though, what about send a tweet at this time. Send email at this time... I mean, there are so many options that are available if you allow time based triggers.

My LaunchAgents workaround was to open an app, which you can do with Shortcuts and was what I was originally intending to do with it. I just haven't found a trigger that will do it as I like.

Shortcuts do allow if/then options as well as some other really advanced things.

Paul, if you wanted to watermark your work, you would be able to do so via a shortcut so you don't have to open each file and manually edit it. That is one example. If you look through the app you will see there are tons of software titles and such. You can mix and match and just have some things be done so you don't have to think about it.

Most likely will never use Shortcuts, but for those who figure out how to make it work for them, it is amazing.