User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: AppleNova is now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova is now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!
Page 9 of 14 First Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-18, 20:22

Actually that seems to have stopped the load warnings bb. Right on schedule.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-24, 21:38

The load is so bad right now I even restarted the server. Thing is, that didn't do anything. If you have a World Anchor or a Portal open (based on bb's post since I know nothing about them) please post about it here. It has been steady:
Code:
2013-04-24 02:59:54 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
Even though I'm local it took me 10 minutes to get 36 soul sand for a blast furnace. That is unreal. Something has got to change. We had it usable when we last posted about this, that has totally changed. Not very usable now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2013-04-24 at 21:53.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-24, 21:42

Lets go back to basic Minecraft?

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-04-25, 01:28

no.

i have not been on the server for a few days, so whatever contribution i might have had shouldn't have newly appeared since then...

Is it possible that a server setting is driving the increase load, turtle? There are also a lot of players that don't check these forums, could you leave a server side message telling people to turn off portals and world anchors... and remove quarries when not on the server...

if this is a once a minute occurrence then it should be relatively easy to track down -- there must be processes either in game or on the server happening with that regularity...

Last edited by billybobsky : 2013-04-25 at 02:35.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-25, 01:50

Maybe we need to buy a robust cloud server setup by Amazon!

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-04-25, 13:56

I *think* I put my quarry in a chest when I last logged out. But I'm only about 80% sure. And now my computer is dead - so can someone go and check for me?

The quarry is underground - just take the stair down from the Skywalk at my village and then follow the gravel road - you'll see the mining site on the left.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-25, 18:59

As much at I like not having so many things go wrong I do like having the options the mods give.

Bryson, you do have a quarry machine in a chest underground. If you only had one then it's in a chest.

I will see about posting a MotD on the server, just don't know how to with FTB. I'll see if I can get it figured out tonight though. I'll likely have it point people to a short URL to read a post or page that goes through the details of being server friendly.

About the server: I started this thread so we can try to keep this one specific to the game world.

Edit: for the MotD thing it looks like I can only change the one you see when the MC game checks the server before joining.
"motd=AppleNova FTB Direwolf20 Modpack"

Also, there isn't anything else running on the server right now other than MC so there's nothing to disable on it. It's base Cent OS with Java and MC running.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2013-04-25 at 19:16. Reason: More details on MotD
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-04-25, 20:15

I think I might have had two - in which case the second one may still be running. It's pretty close to that chest - just on the other side. Follow the pipes!

You'll see if it's missing or not because I place it on top of a green Xychorium block.

Sorry to be a pain...I'm working on a new machine but it's a tricky thing to arrange right now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-25, 20:28

There is something in the middle of some engines, is that is? If so, how does one remove it? I'll pull it out for you.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-04-26, 10:45

Just hit it with a pick - it should break with one hit.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-26, 10:54

OK, I'll get it after I get home from work today if someone else doesn't get to it before me. I just didn't want to break it and give you a machine block.

billybobsky
BANNED

2013-04-26, 11:50

Done and i mean done. Put it and the pump next to it up in the top chest at ground level.

I should say I think it is a terrible idea to have the communal farms near spawn since it all but guarantees loads of mobs constantly being active on the server (without world anchors or equivalent, the only chunk remaining in memory is at spawn). I culled the animals down to two for each one as inspired by a real life reading of Genesis I heard once. All around crazy shit in that book, besides the fact that there were only two each of animals that weren't useful, and more for those that were, but never mind the details, they don't matter.

Let me know if either of these acts helped the server load, turtle. In the absence of intense objections, we might try out the other server. I do worry that we are adding to your electricity bill without any sense of how large an effect it is having...
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-04-26, 12:02

When I get back on I'll also transfer the chests and sorting system to the lower level so there's less objects in pipes floating around.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-04-26, 16:27

Community farms would be better created with soul shards. It would be simple enough to get some, a Vile Sword with a high-level Soul Stealer enchant, and use the existing farms to maximize the shard level. At Tier 5 (1024 kills, or 205 with a Soul Stealer IV Vile Sword), it can be redstone-controlled to turn a spawner on or off.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-04-26, 18:14

So the last time I was logged in the lag wasn't that bad, but I am seeing that there are a few areas staying active right now:
r.-1.0.mca <- Likely near Bryson's
r.0.0.mca <- Spawn
r.-2.2.mca <- South West of spawn

I'm straight West at -1500 and that is in chunk -4.0 for a reference.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2013-04-26, 19:34

Maybe the southwest chunk could be related to the oil pumping operation down by Nik's place?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-26, 20:41

What was Rowdy talking about?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-04-26, 21:31

If the community farms at spawn are one of the issues, the best way to do them instead would use the Soul Shards mod. A Soul Shard allows one to absorb the soul of what one kills. Enough souls absorbed levels up the shard, giving it more and more capabilities when placed in a Soul Cage to make a spawner. With enough absorbed, the spawner becomes controllable by a redstone signal, meaning spawning can simply be turned on and off at will. This would stop the massive amount of animals in a constantly loaded chunk dragging everything down.

Hope that simplifies that a bit, Drew.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-26, 22:54

THAT makes a BUNCH of sense!

Thanks for patronizing your less-complex players!!

billybobsky
BANNED

2013-04-27, 02:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So the last time I was logged in the lag wasn't that bad, but I am seeing that there are a few areas staying active right now:
r.-1.0.mca <- Likely near Bryson's
r.0.0.mca <- Spawn
r.-2.2.mca <- South West of spawn

I'm straight West at -1500 and that is in chunk -4.0 for a reference.
We would need to know what region these chunk coordinates are in to ascertain where they are located...
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-04-27, 14:21

If the Quarry has gone, I'm not sure what would keep my area loaded - aside from being close to spawn, I guess. What else acts as a world anchor?

But even then, we've sucessfully had a lot more players than that online at once, so why would having three chunks loaded matter that much?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-27, 15:27

Delphi was telling me that I could expand my village by building more structures, and that the population would increase to fill the space. At the risk of ruining my own plans I must ask: ARE villagers perhaps MORE of a drain than animals?

billybobsky
BANNED

2013-04-27, 15:50

If your village is near spawn or other always loaded chunks it could be a problem...

Bryson: i think some of the mods are particularly draining on server resources - for instance, it is far better to send items via item tesseracts than pipes because the drain on the server is negligible with the tesseracts, whereas the pipes require feedback about where items are located within them. in essence, if there are lots of things happening and changing in loaded chunks then its a problem. if the chunks are static then it isn't....

i was flying around a lot, at a very fast pace tonight, and noticed no real issue... not sure what the server was screaming though...

Last edited by billybobsky : 2013-04-27 at 16:24.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-27, 16:03

Hmm. Well Bry's village is near spawn, but not sure if it's in the same chunk.

I blame it entirely on all of you machine-builders.

Like pollution you've turned our agrarian world into technology-befouled land of stuff!!!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED

2013-04-27, 16:26

i agree. this is why i will devote all of my technology to do what i have always done best before technology -- destroying large swaths of land for the sake of destruction. no one likes the wasteland. bam gone. (not really )
¡Damned!

2013-04-27, 17:54

I love the wasteland. Not sure why I gravitate to such empty and dead areas, but I find them comforting. My next large-ish project will be in the wasteland for sure.

I'm getting itchy about spending so much time in my Redlands, and even though there's a lot more to do here I want to build another something at Spawn. I'd considered another Community Exchange, but that thing only really works with vanilla-ish worlds (as much as I love it). Thought about a hotel, but that would overlap Lynn's B&B... maybe a P.O.? Historically that's been Brad's thing, so I'm not sure I'd want to do it. No transit station as it looks like we're going next to the skyway with rails (and I like this thought, but ideally I'd like to put the long stretches underneath the skyway for some view).

So, I don't know. I like to build community things, generally, but I may just build a huge fucking thing just to shake off this itch.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-27, 18:18

Build a high tech oasis with GIANT BOOBS!!!

billybobsky
BANNED

2013-04-27, 18:38

For Drew: Apparently using frames and frame motors we can make.... FLYING BOOBS!!!!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-04-27, 20:53

whut?
¡Damned!

2013-04-27, 20:53

Hmm. Given my propensity to build big, I fear that I'd have to put aircraft warning lights atop each nipple.

I'm not sure if giant boobs are what I'm looking for... um, to do... erm, to be appropriate for the current landscape.

phew

So it goes.